Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Jonathan Perez for 825k (VZ Pitcher)

Reds Sign Jonathan Perez for 825k (VZ Pitcher)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Sign Jonathan Perez for 825k (VZ Pitcher)

Reds Sign Jonathan Perez For $825,000

Posted Jul. 19, 2011 1:20 pm by Ben Badler
    Filed under: International, News
    The Reds have agreed to terms with 16-year-old Venezuelan righthander Jonathan Perez for $825,000, according to an international source.

Perez, who is 6-foot-4, 195 pounds, has a projectable body, a good delivery and an improving fastball that has touched 90 mph. Perez's complete scouting report is available to Baseball America subscribers.

A scout just told me that new Reds Venezuelan RHP Jonathan Perez has been up to 92 mph recently. Fastball keeps improving
    @BenBadler

I like this signing.

Never a bad thing to add a good young arm to the fold and if they're giving him a 1st/2nd round bonus I guess they must consider him as such.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Never a bad thing to add a good young arm to the fold and if they're giving him a 1st/2nd round bonus I guess they must consider him as such.
    I don't think they view him as a 1st/2nd rounder simply because he got that kind of money. This is an open market, guys get more than draft picks because they can negotiate with multiple teams. Still, that is a solid chunk of money and he is probably a Top 30 international prospect this year.

Reds control him for 6 years don't they before he becomes a minor league free agent if not on the roster?

I know I'm jumping way ahead, but I just get nervous about signing 16 year olds, since you may have to decide on them by only age 22.

Still, with that size at that age, he sounds intriguing.

(And if my assumption about how long the Reds can keep him is wrong, please let me know)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

That's some big money right there. Anyone have an idea of how he ranked among the Venezuelan pitchers? Does he only get six years to develop before he is a free agent?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    That's some big money right there. Anyone have an idea of how he ranked among the Venezuelan pitchers? Does he only get six years to develop before he is a free agent?
    He gets 6 years before they have to put him on the 40 man roster, he then gets another 3 seasons before he's out of options. My guess is that w/n 6 seasons they'll have a pretty good idea if he's somebody worth putting on the 40 man or not w/ a shot to make the show one day or if he's not going to cut it.

Think about it this way, starting today:

Age 16: Venezualan Summer league
    Age 17: Extended Spring training, Arizona fall league
    Age 18: Extended Spring Training, Billings
    Age 19: Full season in Dayton
    Age 20: Full season in High A
    Age 21: Repeat a level somewhere along the way

there's 6 seasons right there, now at the age of 22, they can put him on the 40 man roster and give him a full season in AA

Age 22: Full season in AA, 1st option burnt
    Age 23: Full season in AAA, 2nd option burnt
    Age 24: Full season in AAA, cup of coffee in the majors
    Age 25: In the show, or released.

There's an awful lot of time and development before the Reds officially have to have him on the big league squad for good. The odds he makes it that far are pretty small to begin with, but it sounds like its a gamble worth taking.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    He gets 6 years before they have to put him on the 40 man roster, he then gets another 3 seasons before he's out of options. My guess is that w/n 6 seasons they'll have a pretty good idea if he's somebody worth putting on the 40 man or not w/ a shot to make the show one day or if he's not going to cut it.

Think about it this way, starting today:

Age 16: Venezualan Summer league
    Age 17: Extended Spring training, Arizona fall league
    Age 18: Extended Spring Training, Billings
    Age 19: Full season in Dayton
    Age 20: Full season in High A
    Age 21: Repeat a level somewhere along the way

there's 6 seasons right there, now at the age of 22, they can put him on the 40 man roster and give him a full season in AA

Age 22: Full season in AA, 1st option burnt
    Age 23: Full season in AAA, 2nd option burnt
    Age 24: Full season in AAA, cup of coffee in the majors
    Age 25: In the show, or released.

There's an awful lot of time and development before the Reds officially have to have him on the big league squad for good. The odds he makes it that far are pretty small to begin with, but it sounds like its a gamble worth taking.
    He gets 5 years before he needs to be on the 40-man roster, am I right? If he were, say, 20 years old, he would get only 4 years.

Interesting update from Fay's blog:

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty, asked by The Enquirer if an agreement had been reached, replied via text message:

“Not to my knowledge, and I’m sure I would have known about it.”

There are at least two scouting videos on Youtube, if you do a search for Jonathon Perez.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I believe this is the most money they've ever given to an international pitcher, of course aside from Chapman.

The only other two that come to mind are Ismael Guillon, who I believe signed for much less (especially after reworking his deal due to injury), and Michael Ynoa, who famously turned down the Reds to sign with the A's.

I assume Perez was a top 5 arm in this year's international class? Regardless, it's good to see- assuming of course he actually signed.
    Go BLUE!!!

Venezuela's top July 2nd pitching prospect, Victor Sanchez, remains unsigned. To follow all the rumors on Venezuelan ballplayers in Spanish, check out our peloteros venezolanos category over at Rumores de Béisbol

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Interesting update from Fay's blog:
    To follow that up, from MLBTR

No Agreement Finalized Between Reds, Perez
    By Tim Dierkes [July 19 at 4:11pm CST]
    4:11 pm: Reds GM Walt Jocketty told Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer there's no agreement as far as he knows. "And I’m sure I would have known about it,” Jocketty added.

2:24 pm: The Reds signed 16-year-old Venezuelan righty Jonathan Perez for $825K, reports Baseball America's Ben Badler.

BA's scouting report says Perez has a projectable body that will allow him to add velocity, although he's already touched 92. His curveball and changeup need polish, but that's to be expected for someone his age.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    To follow that up, from MLBTR
    Could just be because he hasn't passed a physical or signed the actual papers yet, but the two sides have agreed on the deal. Or, could be totally made up. Hope not though.

Turn Off Ads?