Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who are the top pitching prospects in the Reds minor leagues?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Who are the top pitching prospects in the Reds minor leagues?

I'm trying to see if there's anyone I've not been paying attention to.

Corcino, Cingrani, Stephenson, Travieso, Guillon.

Next tier - Lotzkar, Villarreal, Chad Rogers.

Anyone else I should be keeping an eye on?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who are the top pitching prospects in the Reds minor leagues?

I do not follow the minor league very much, but I am excited to see Cingrani at the major league level.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

I suspect that Guillon's performance last night got you thinking about this. At least, it did me. He's giving off great vibes, but I'm not quite ready to place him in that top tier. If he's still doing it in Dayton, OK.

I'm also not sold on Villarreal. It's probably because he was extremely hittable the one time I saw him pitch; his stuff was lackluster. It might be a case of rushing to judgment, but if I could complete a trade by giving up one of Villarreal, Rogers, Redmond or Cisco, I'd part with Villarreal. If the choices were Villarreal, James Allen, Wirfin Obispo, Tim Crabbe, Jacob Johnson, Sal Romano and Amir Garrett, I'd certainly consider Villarreal.
    Last edited by mace; 08-14-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    I do not follow the minor league very much, but I am excited to see Cingrani at the major league level.
    Is that a typo?

I just want to make sure I didn't miss something.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Is that a typo?

I just want to make sure I didn't miss something.
    No. I am saying I hear a lot about the guy and his number look really good. Not to mention he is a lefty. That is why I am excited to see him at a major league level. I know it will not happen this year, but just saying that I hope he stays in the Reds organization (not traded) for him to be on the future roster.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'm trying to see if there's anyone I've not been paying attention to.

Corcino, Cingrani, Stephenson, Travieso, Guillon.

Next tier - Lotzkar, Villarreal, Chad Rogers.

Anyone else I should be keeping an eye on?
    While I like Guillon a lot, I would put him in the "Next Tier" along with Lotzkar, Rogers, and three other additions, all of which are in Rookie Ball: Pedro Diaz, Drew Cisco, and Amir Garrett.

Corcino, Stephenson, Cingrani, and Travieso are definitely the top tier guys to watch.
    Go BLUE!!!

IIRC, Guillon started his Reds career as a converted position player (SS?). I assume that means the Reds believed he had a strong arm. Can anyone comment on how hard he throws? Could he be considered a power arm?

Also, I saw Crabbe pitch recently in Bakersfield the night he put up 6 no hit innings. The scoreboard does not have a gun, but it seemed to me that he was strictly a FB/slider pitcher. Both were very effective that night as he was getting a lot of swinging strikes on high FB's and low sliders. I came away thinking he has the potential to be a good middle reliever. I invite comment from those that have seen more of him.

I hesitate on guillon for the moment.

prior to last season, Guillon was my pick for "Reds prospect about to "blow up"" believing that he'd skyrocket into the top 50ish (nationally) in the prospect rankings by seasons end following his solid debut the year prior. Well not so much last year, he really struggled in Billings at the start of the year. There were whispers about attitude issues, he had trouble throwing strikes and he wasn't doing anything to convince anyone he was a top 50 Reds prospect, let along a top 50 in all of baseball. Then the last chunk of the season he started putting things together. He's done well this year, so I'm holding out hope, but once burned, you're more cautious to annoint him the 2nd time around.

With that said, if the Reds could get 2 of those guys you list as top flight prospects to turn into middle of the rotation or better starters, plus another into a solid reliver in the next 3-4 seasons it would do wonders for payroll flex in the face of votto's contract and payroll limitations. The more solid players that come thru the system, the more money they have to offer their own veterans or to give out to Free agents or trade acquisitions.

Stephenson

Next tier: Corcino, Cingrani, Travieso

Next tier....

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    IIRC, Guillon started his Reds career as a converted position player (SS?). I assume that means the Reds believed he had a strong arm. Can anyone comment on how hard he throws? Could he be considered a power arm?
    Guillon was always a pitcher with the Reds. Some teams believed that he could have been a position player since they thought he was a good hitter, but the Reds signed him and he has pitched for them since day 1.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I suspect that Guillon's performance last night got you thinking about this. At least, it did me. He's giving off great vibes, but I'm not quite ready to place him in that top tier. If he's still doing it in Dayton, OK.

I'm also not sold on Villarreal. It's probably because he was extremely hittable the one time I saw him pitch; his stuff was lackluster. It might be a case of rushing to judgment, but if I could complete a trade by giving up one of Villarreal, Rogers, Redmond or Cisco, I'd part with Villarreal. If the choices were Villarreal, James Allen, Wirfin Obispo, Tim Crabbe, Jacob Johnson, Sal Romano and Amir Garrett, I'd certainly consider Villarreal.
    Wirfin Obispo is in the organization again? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Guillon was always a pitcher with the Reds. Some teams believed that he could have been a position player since they thought he was a good hitter, but the Reds signed him and he has pitched for them since day 1.
    You are correct. I knew that he had only pitched for the Reds, but had forgotten that other teams, and not the Reds, had seen him as a first baseman or corner outfielder because they liked his bat but not his pitching delivery, which they viewed as carrying a high injury risk. At that time he was reported as throwing 88-92 as a 16 year old. He signed in the same year as Y Rod when the Reds were spending big on Latin prospects. Given his recent success, is it fair to say that the Reds have revised his mechanics? If so, where does his velocity sit today?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post

Yeah, I'm not big on Villareal either. Someone on here, not sure who, always seems to be talking him up. But everytime I look in a box score, it seems like he's getting lit up.

I'm not that big on Lotzkar either. Always hear how he has a lightening arm. But seems like the stats NEVER match up to all the hype.

I'm thinking Cingrani and Corcino are the next 2 to get a chance up top in the next year or two.

It will probably be Stephenson a few years after that. Then Travieso.

But maybe someone else will surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Yeah, I'm not big on Villareal either. Someone on here, not sure who, always seems to be talking him up. But everytime I look in a box score, it seems like he's getting lit up.

I'm not that big on Lotzkar either. Always hear how he has a lightening arm. But seems like the stats NEVER match up to all the hype.

I'm thinking Cingrani and Corcino are the next 2 to get a chance up top in the next year or two.

It will probably be Stephenson a few years after that. Then Travieso.

But maybe someone else will surprise.
    It's not that Villarreal was getting "talked up" so much as he was the Reds' best AAA pitching prospect to start the season.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Stephenson

Next tier: Corcino, Cingrani, Travieso

Next tier....
    Interesting.

I've not seen Stephenson (or Cingrani) as much as I'd like. I'm assuming you have. Is it the top end velocity, '72? The electricity in his arm?

I think both Cingrani and Corcino, if they hit their ceillings, are legitimate TOR arms. One's not any better than the other, IMO and both have warts. Judging from his statistics (and the limited number of IP I've seen), I'd think Stephenson also has warts-- primarily among them, control.

Turn Off Ads?