Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dusty

Dusty

I was thinking about the Pirates series and remember Hurdle getting thrown out. My question is, has Dusty ever gotten thrown out of a game? I am a relatively new Reds fan. I have seen Dusty walk out to talk to the ump a few times but never thrown out. I remember the brawl in 2010 and he got thrown out, but not for yelling at the ump.

I have seen videos and heard from older generation fans about the infamous Lou Pinella throwing the base and Pete Rose shoving the ump.
    2014 Attendance 0-3
    3/31/14, 4/12/14, 8/14/15

2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    I was thinking about the Pirates series and remember Hurdle getting thrown out. My question is, has Dusty ever gotten thrown out of a game? I am a relatively new Reds fan. I have seen Dusty walk out to talk to the ump a few times but never thrown out. I remember the brawl in 2010 and he got thrown out, but not for yelling at the ump.

I have seen videos and heard from older generation fans about the infamous Lou Pinella throwing the base and Pete Rose shoving the ump.
    He's been tossed for arguing balls and strikes a few times before. Usually it's when he comes to argue on behalf of one of his players. Don't know if someone has an exhaustive list they could share, though, cause I don't.

Offhand, last time I specifically remember him getting tossed was in extra innings against the Nationals last year. Think Fairchild tossed him and that memory stands out because I think Davey Johnson had already been ejected earlier in that game for something too.

Yeah, there it is. Says in that article it was the first time he had been ejected that year. Game was in late August... so yeah, doesn't happen too often.

Another one for you from 2010 after a horrible strike 3 call

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=9077729

I guess managers have calmed a lot since the 70s 80s and 90s. Rarely do you see a guy toss the base like Pinella or shove the ump like Rose.

I remember the one minor league coach who covered home plate with dirt and kneeled on the mound and tossed the chalk bag like a grenade at the plate. That was comical.
    2014 Attendance 0-3

I guess managers have calmed a lot since the 70s 80s and 90s. Rarely do you see a guy toss the base like Pinella or shove the ump like Rose.

I remember the one minor league coach who covered home plate with dirt and kneeled on the mound and tossed the chalk bag like a grenade at the plate. That was comical.
    Could you be referring to the unforgettable performance that was Phill Wellman's? Absolutely unbelievable. (Minor League Braves Manager Phil Wellman Goes Nuts - YouTube)

Yes that one! Just phenomenal!
    2014 Attendance 0-3

To me, it's ok Dusty isn't as fiery or argumentative as Bobby Cox. I think he does a great job managing this ballclub and that is all I really care about.

Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    To me, it's ok Dusty isn't as fiery or argumentative as Bobby Cox. I think he does a great job managing this ballclub and that is all I really care about.
    I like that about Dusty too. I think one of the best things he did this year was call out La Russa about the All Star game. I remember the pregame interview.

Reporter asked: "Don't you think that this is going to be talked about a lot (referrring to Dusty saying that the Cueto and Phillips snubs were La Russa's fault)"

Dusty: "Well, maybe it should."

IMO, that is a manager who cares about his players and not what the media or anyone else thinks of him.
    2014 Attendance 0-3

There are instances where we are getting hosed and IMO him going nuts and getting tossed would work....but I like his calmness/patience most of the time.

I like that about Dusty too. I think one of the best things he did this year was call out La Russa about the All Star game. I remember the pregame interview.

Reporter asked: "Don't you think that this is going to be talked about a lot (referrring to Dusty saying that the Cueto and Phillips snubs were La Russa's fault)"

Dusty: "Well, maybe it should."

IMO, that is a manager who cares about his players and not what the media or anyone else thinks of him.
    I didn't care for the griping about his players not making it. You want to pick those players for the all star game, get us to the World series Dusty and you'll have your chance next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by jback76 View Post
    I didn't care for the griping about his players not making it. You want to pick those players for the all star game, get us to the World series Dusty and you'll have your chance next summer.
    I'm pretty sure Dusty did that to take up for his players, and to light a fire under the team. We did go on an insane run after that.

Dusty is smart to know that if he gets thrown out our chances of winning go to 0.01%

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Dusty is smart to know that if he gets thrown out our chances of winning go to 0.01%
    Wut?

lol

Turn Off Ads?