Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grande's call of Bruce's walk-off was hilarious

Grande's call of Bruce's walk-off was hilarious

For those that didn't see it:
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video...ic_id=28898650

I used to despise the guy's play by play, but I have to admit, in moderation he can be a fun guy to listen to.

I had the privilege of meeting George a few years ago, and he's one of the nicest people I've ever met, but that call was just flat-out funny.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Grande's call of Bruce's walk-off was hilarious

Also George had another "HE GOT IT! HE GOT IT!!!" moment when BP made the nice catch.

Imagine how many "smiling sides of the scoreboard" we would have heard this year.

EMAW

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    Also George had another "HE GOT IT! HE GOT IT!!!" moment when BP made the nice catch.

Imagine how many "smiling sides of the scoreboard" we would have heard this year.
    Not nearly as many Reds on their last round up

Grande is alright. He has his moments, but I hate that sometimes he sounds more excited when the opposing team does something good than when the Reds do something good.

Can't stand him typically, but he is one of the nicest guys in baseball. Met him in Spring Training a few years back and he signed a baseball "It's gonna be... George Grande". Classy dude.

I thought Grande was good! I just got FS Ohio in June so I didn't have any biases going in. I'd take GG over Thom or Kelch with Welsh.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I love how, on this call, it sounds like Grande is going through puberty. Really George, that smooth velvet voice is going to crack on you right then, during the walkoff homerun that will be replayed 1000 times on MLB and ESPN.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Playoff Veteran

Grande is a nice guy, but after twenty years plus of "Hi, Hello, How are you? " ,"You know his story," "He got it, he got it !" " (Insert name) does it again" "Get'em on, Get'em over, get 'em in" and the "Smiling side of the scoreboard"... sigh... I 'm glad that he's retired. Let him watch his Cardinals and USC Trojans play.

I've said it before and I've said it again, I LOVE GEORGE GRANDE! Such a nice guy, and I love his excited voice when the Reds get a Walk Off HR! I generally enjoy his stories about ole timer ballplayers. And I'd take him over the boring Kelch and depressing Thom anyday (although for some reason I really like hearing Thom call the game when Chapman is in. He gets really excited when Aroldis comes in, but who doesn't?).

SDwagers, which Cardinals team are you talking about? Surely not St.Louis! But there is nothing wrong with SC. I lived in L.A for a few years and it's really nice. I am a diehard Buckeye fan but even I have to admit it's hard not to pull for SC when you live in SoCal.

I was watching the game with my friends and was already calling for Bruce to strikeout at the time. I was half through making my argument that Paul and Bruce should be platooned in RF when he hit the bomb.

We changed the conversation to the formula for Bruce. Start him during his hot streak, but when he slumps, give him 2 days off and he should be fixed.
    2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

George is funny to me, I got no beef.

I used to like Thom a lot, but I feel like he is getting worse. He has been terrible in the booth - did anyone see a few weeks back (I forget who the Reds were playing) when they had a special needs kid in the booth? Thom swung and missed multiple times not knowing he was on camera. He went to give the kid a high-five only to discover the kid couldn't lift his arm. Then at the end of the segment he went to fist bump the kid - kid still couldn't move his arm. I understand having to do this day in and day out with little preparation will yield some awkward flubs on live TV - but Jesus man, that was painfully awkward to watch, and I can't imagine how it made the kid feel.

On the other hand: Thom is the only broadcaster I have ever had a conversation with (I see Marty around town all the time but never talk to him) and he is incredibly friendly and humble. He has a very nice wife and good family too. I am happy he is with the Reds now, and getting to work with his dad. I just wish he would get a little better with the baseball coverage. I enjoy him on MNF with Billick.

Someone commented also about how well he calls Chapman - I have to agree with that. You'd think Jesus was on the mound.
    Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon...

I think it is funny how Thom says Arredondo
    2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

I think complaining about our announcers is a good problem to have.

-- a Kelch/Welsh/Cowboy fan
    That Joey Votto is some kind of Man Candy!

"For them to boo me like that, it lets me know they dream about me at night. -- Brandon Phillips on Cards fans.

Nice guy but I can do without him in the booth. Might be just his voice that bothers me.

I am a Grande fan myself, not so much on Thom, but he is alright but you throw the cowboy in there and sometimes it seems like they are in their own world taking about food or whatnot and not really commenting on the game.

Turn Off Ads?