Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Remember when....

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Remember when....

Josh Hamilton was walking on water early in the year and Albert Pujols was sinking like the Titanic?

Well, right now Hamilton has a 141 OPS+ and Pujols has a 140 OPS+. Their OPS alone is drastically different, but that is because Hamilton plays in a hitters paradise, while Pujols is playing in a pitcher friendly park.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Remember when....

And Josh gets more money than Albert!! Of course the Angel$ will have to pay him $30 million in 2021 (we will see how that works out) and $25 million per year minimum in each of the 5 years before that too, but this year Josh has a higher salary by $1.75 million.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Josh Hamilton was walking on water early in the year and Albert Pujols was sinking like the Titanic?

Well, right now Hamilton has a 141 OPS+ and Pujols has a 140 OPS+. Their OPS alone is drastically different, but that is because Hamilton plays in a hitters paradise, while Pujols is playing in a pitcher friendly park.
    It's a long season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

The AL West has become the most exciting division in the game, IMO. You could make a solid argument for LA being the most talented team in the league, and they're not slotted for a playoff spot right now. It's amazing to watch.

Here's hoping it comes down to a race. LA and Texas play each other 6 times in the last 3 weeks of the season. Pujols/Trout against Hamilton/Moreland would be fun to watch with the division on the line.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    The AL West has become the most exciting division in the game, IMO. You could make a solid argument for LA being the most talented team in the league, and they're not slotted for a playoff spot right now. It's amazing to watch.

Here's hoping it comes down to a race. LA and Texas play each other 6 times in the last 3 weeks of the season. Pujols/Trout against Hamilton/Moreland would be fun to watch with the division on the line.
    Between the Angels and the Red Sox, the amount of talent currently locked out of the playoffs is pretty amazing. Albert Pujols, Adrian Gonzalez, Dustin Pedroia, David Ortiz, Carl Crawford, Jered Weaver, Josh Beckett, Zack Greinke, Jon Lester, Jacoby Ellsbury-- these are all players capable of winning MVPs or Cy Youngs, and they'll all be watching the playoffs from home. I wonder how MLB feels about that: the As and Rays, for instance, may be nice stories, given their success with low budgets, but when it comes to playoff ratings, I can't imagine MLB execs are too happy with them in the mix.

As for Pujols, this is the second year in a row in which he's had a very slow start to the season, then rebounded as the weather warms up. He reminds me very much of David Ortiz at this point. I wonder if that's just coincidence, or if there's something about aging sluggers that makes them prone to early season slumps.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LegallyMinded View Post
    Between the Angels and the Red Sox, the amount of talent currently locked out of the playoffs is pretty amazing. Albert Pujols, Adrian Gonzalez, Dustin Pedroia, David Ortiz, Carl Crawford, Jered Weaver, Josh Beckett, Zack Greinke, Jon Lester, Jacoby Ellsbury-- these are all players capable of winning MVPs or Cy Youngs, and they'll all be watching the playoffs from home. I wonder how MLB feels about that: the As and Rays, for instance, may be nice stories, given their success with low budgets, but when it comes to playoff ratings, I can't imagine MLB execs are too happy with them in the mix.

As for Pujols, this is the second year in a row in which he's had a very slow start to the season, then rebounded as the weather warms up. He reminds me very much of David Ortiz at this point. I wonder if that's just coincidence, or if there's something about aging sluggers that makes them prone to early season slumps.
    All of that and you left out the best player in the league, Mike Trout.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Regression to the mean is a powerful mistress. Or something like that.

I always find it interesting to think how different the narrative would be if the order of things was mixed up.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Why do I feel like an Alan Jackson song is going to start when I open this thread?

I wouldn't count out the Angels just yet. They're only 1 1/2 games back in the wild-card standings. Are the Orioles really going to keep this up? Oakland? Tampa? There's still alot of games left.

Turn Off Ads?