Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Rotation

Starting Rotation

My friends were arguing last night over how to rank our starting rotation. Given that Cueto is definitely then number 1. They were arguing over who the number 2 pitcher is: Latos or Bailey. I just was wondering how everyone would rank our pitchers?

Mine:
    Cueto
    Latos
    Bailey
    Arroyo
    Leake
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Starting Rotation

i think its Latos without any hesitation. I think the 3 vs 4 battle will be interesting with baileys recent 3 game struggle.

As of now

cueto
    latos
    arroyo
    bailey

For me. If bailey gets back on track Id flip 3 and 4 tho.

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    My friends were arguing last night over how to rank our starting rotation. Given that Cueto is definitely then number 1. They were arguing over who the number 2 pitcher is: Latos or Bailey. I just was wondering how everyone would rank our pitchers?

Mine:
    Cueto
    Latos
    Bailey
    Arroyo
    Leake
    I agree with you from a ranking standpoint, but setting a rotation and ranking one are significantly different. Having "junk" pitchers between your power guys can be beneficial.

Go Reds!!
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by P.E.R#14 View Post
    I agree with you from a ranking standpoint, but setting a rotation and ranking one are significantly different. Having "junk" pitchers between your power guys can be beneficial.

Go Reds!!
    I am not talking a playoff rotation where you play the matchup. I am just talking soley based on this year's performances, how would you rank our rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    i think its Latos without any hesitation. I think the 3 vs 4 battle will be interesting with baileys recent 3 game struggle.

As of now

cueto
    latos
    arroyo
    bailey

For me. If bailey gets back on track Id flip 3 and 4 tho.
    This is how I'd rank them also. Arroyo has been pitching well as of late. Leake a distant 5th.

Latos is starting to eclipse Cueto...

Since the break Latos vs Cueto:

IP: 39 vs 41
    ERA: 2.45 vs 2.61
    WHIP: 1.14 vs 1.19
    BAA: .211 vs .248

Subtract Lato's first two months and it appears as though we have two clear #1 starters. This is a good problem to have.

In a playoff situation you could go one of two ways, assuming Cuteo and Latos are going to get starts. You could go with Arroyo who pitches fancy and has experience or with Bailey who has of recent shown pure brilliance on the mound. It really depends on how they'd be pitching going into October.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    Latos is starting to eclipse Cueto...

Since the break Latos vs Cueto:

IP: 39 vs 41
    ERA: 2.45 vs 2.61
    WHIP: 1.14 vs 1.19
    BAA: .211 vs .248

Subtract Lato's first two months and it appears as though we have two clear #1 starters. This is a good problem to have.

In a playoff situation you could go one of two ways, assuming Cuteo and Latos are going to get starts. You could go with Arroyo who pitches fancy and has experience or with Bailey who has of recent shown pure brilliance on the mound. It really depends on how they'd be pitching going into October.
    With the new playoff format, I think you should go with Latos in the first game on the road (assuming we are the higher seed) because he can really set the tone with his devastating strikeouts.

Then go with Bailey or Arroyo based on matchup for the second game.

Then you have to use Cueto for first home game. He is ridiculous at GABP.

Theres no way id have cueto waiting till game 3 to pitch. I want our 2 best pitchers facing our opponents two best pitchers.

Yea, at this point a Cueto/Latos combo in any order would be feared by any team in any stadium.

I agree with the OP's rotation. Cueto's consistency has earned him the top spot.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    Theres no way id have cueto waiting till game 3 to pitch. I want our 2 best pitchers facing our opponents two best pitchers.
    Who do you pitch game 3 then? I looked at the splits and none of the other guys are surefire wins at GABP.

Homer (at GABP) (3-5, 5.35 ERA, 15 HR) 12 starts
    Leake (at GABP) (1-4, 6.03 ERA, 13 HR) 12 starts
    Arroyo (at GABP) (2-2, 4.45 ERA, 8 HR) 10 starts

Homer (away) (7-2, 2.92 ERA, 4 HR) 11 starts
    Leake (away) (3-3, 3.13 ERA, 4 HR) 10 starts
    Arroyo (away) (6-5, 3.60 ERA, 12 HR) 13 starts

Obviously, Homer is one of our better pitchers on the road. Why not try to steal one with him on the road and then let Cueto seal it at home. He is our best SP at GABP.

Obviously, Homer is one of our better pitchers on the road. Why not try to steal one with him on the road and then let Cueto seal it at home. He is our best SP at GABP.
    Cueto is arguably the team's best pitcher. If you hold him back until Game Three then you can only pitch him once if the series goes five games. I will pass.
    Cueto and Latos in Games One and Two, please. You want to pitch Cueto and Latos twice each if you go the distance in the series. Assuming, of course, you are going with a three-pitcher rotation in this series.
    Last edited by texasdave; 08-15-2012 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Cueto is arguably the team's best pitcher. If you hold him back until Game Three then you can only pitch him once if the series goes five games. I will pass.
    Cueto and Latos in Games One and Two, please You want to pitch Cueto and Latos twice each if you go the distance in the series. Assuming, of course, you are going with a three-pitcher rotation in this series.
    You make a good point. But I still think Homer should be the number 3 pitcher for the post season. Arroyo does have experience, but he seems to be more hittable this late in his career. Not to mention I think it would be beneficial for Homer to get some post season experience. He is young and he has thrived this year under pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    Who do you pitch game 3 then? I looked at the splits and none of the other guys are surefire wins at GABP.

Homer (at GABP) (3-5, 5.35 ERA, 15 HR) 12 starts
    Leake (at GABP) (1-4, 6.03 ERA, 13 HR) 12 starts
    Arroyo (at GABP) (2-2, 4.45 ERA, 8 HR) 10 starts

Homer (away) (7-2, 2.92 ERA, 4 HR) 11 starts
    Leake (away) (3-3, 3.13 ERA, 4 HR) 10 starts
    Arroyo (away) (6-5, 3.60 ERA, 12 HR) 13 starts

Kind of what I suspected, Arroyo is the #3 in a home game, Bailey on the road.
    Last edited by '69; 08-15-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Cueto
    Latos
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Leake

Turn Off Ads?