Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Brean and Guillon earn organizational accolades

Brean and Guillon earn organizational accolades

Pitcher and hitter for July.

Rookie Billings 3B Seth Mejias-Brean and LHP Ismael Guillon have been named the Cincinnati Reds' Minor League Player and Pitcher of the Month for July.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...=.jsp&sid=t513

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brean and Guillon earn organizational accolades

Great, now let them cut their teeth in Dayton
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Guillon is there. SMB, not yet.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Brean needs to move up. This is kind of ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Brean needs to move up. This is kind of ridiculous.
    What's wrong with letting him stick around to form a bond with his teammates and get playoff experience?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    What's wrong with letting him stick around to form a bond with his teammates and get playoff experience?
    Well, my personal opinion, is that if he's heads and shoulders above his current teammates at single A Billings, shouldn't he be with teammates and playing aginst competition that are more at his level? And shouldn't he be facing pitching that challenges him?

Cingrani, Lutz, Vidal, Hamilton all moved up in lieu of bonding with their past teammates. And they're definitely being more challenged and the organization is learning about them as they face those challenges.

I dunno. The farm system is for development. Not winning minor league championships. If championships come, so be it. But for me it's about the development of the players.

Well, my personal opinion, is that if he's heads and shoulders above his current teammates at single A Billings, shouldn't he be with teammates and playing aginst competition that are more at his level? And shouldn't he be facing pitching that challenges him?

Cingrani, Lutz, Vidal, Hamilton all moved up in lieu of bonding with their past teammates. And they're definitely being more challenged and the organization is learning about them as they face those challenges.

I dunno. The farm system is for development. Not winning minor league championships. If championships come, so be it. But for me it's about the development of the players.
    All of those guys weren't in their first pro season. Tony Cingrani was utterly dominant in every facet you could imagine last season in Billings. He stayed there the entire season.

The Reds have plenty of time with these guys. It's better to err on the side of caution instead of promoting them too rapidly and setting them back like back in the Jim Bowden days.

Disagree that jumping a kid from Billings to Dayton is "rushing" them. Stephenson made the jump.

"Rushing" is jumping a kid from Dayton, to Pensacola, to Louisville in one season.

Then there's Mike Leake. Dave Winfield. Jim Abbott, Bob Horner, John Olerud, and others who went straight to the majors and had success. I think Burt Hooten did too, but that was back in the late 60's or early 70's.

My 15 year old skipped a year of school because as her teacher (who spent 40 years teaching) said, "she's bored and not challenged". That teacher also said in 40 years she'd only allowed 2 students to skip a grade and move up.

Brean isn't challenged at Billings. He's ready for Dayton.

I'm not necessarily saying this applies to Mejias-Brean, but sometimes players aren't as good as their numbers. Also, he already has 10 errors, and if he's going to keep prolonging innings with defensive miscues, I'd rather him do it in Billings instead of Dayton because the Mustangs have more pitching depth.

The Reds typically don't promote guys from Billings to Dayton the first year they are drafted unless there is an overwhelming need. The Reds also believe that winning at the minor league level is important. Dayton is not going for the playoffs unless they win out the rest of the year. Billings is currently in first place with a 2 game lead and SMBn is arguably the best hitter on that team.

It won't matter one bit next year if SMB got 80 at bats in Dayton or not. Where he starts in 2013 is going to not be determined one ounce by how he would have performed in 80 at bats in Dayton in August of 2012. It isn't setting him back. And the Reds believe him winning with Billings is better for his development than him losing with Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The Reds typically don't promote guys from Billings to Dayton the first year they are drafted unless there is an overwhelming need. The Reds also believe that winning at the minor league level is important. Dayton is not going for the playoffs unless they win out the rest of the year. Billings is currently in first place with a 2 game lead and SMBn is arguably the best hitter on that team.

It won't matter one bit next year if SMB got 80 at bats in Dayton or not. Where he starts in 2013 is going to not be determined one ounce by how he would have performed in 80 at bats in Dayton in August of 2012. It isn't setting him back. And the Reds believe him winning with Billings is better for his development than him losing with Dayton.
    If that's the Reds philosophy, I disagree with it.

Minors should be about player development. They were just fine letting Louisville be a bottomdwellar this year.

If player A is hitting .350 over 100 at-bats in A-ball, and the only reason to keep him there is to keep winning, management is missing the point. Challenge the player is what I say.

And Dayton IS in need of a quality third baseman. Errors in the minors can be partially attributed to bad fields.

Minors should be about player development. They were just fine letting Louisville be a bottomdwellar this year.

If player A is hitting .350 over 100 at-bats in A-ball, and the only reason to keep him there is to keep winning, management is missing the point. Challenge the player is what I say.

And Dayton IS in need of a quality third baseman. Errors in the minors can be partially attributed to bad fields.
    Louisville didn't have the players available, so that point is moot.

100 at bats is a relatively small sample size. First, that is maybe one time through the league. Secondly, wild swings in BABIP can really fudge that number all up. Third, we don't know that the only reason he is there is to keep winning.

And sure, Dayton is in need of a third baseman, but does it really serve either guy to move a league for 60 at bats to end out the season? Not really. I just don't see this as something to worry about. He has played 6 weeks at the rookie ball level. He has performed quite well too. But it is still just 6 weeks.

Gary Redus hit over .400 at Billings way back when...... they left him there as well. It Does NOT happen unless it is their second year....at least. It just doe snot. It is not something you can get on the Reds about ....but I am sure you will find a way.

Turn Off Ads?