Turn Off Ads?

Thread: ESPN's Beane Count

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

ESPN's Beane Count

http://espn.go.com/mlb/beanecount

I was messing around, looking for top Cy Young contenders listings, when I stumbled upon this section of ESPN's website. It has some really cool rankings, one of which is called the Beane Count named after Billy Beane.

The page says that it was created by (former) ESPN writer Rob Neyer (he works for SB Nation now) and it takes into account Home Runs hit, walks drawn, home runs allowed and walks allowed.

The rankings in both leagues are curious. Though the formula does not rank the teams 1-8 perfectly, it does manage to separate the contenders to the non contenders extraordinarily well. In the National League rankings, they are completely separated. The American League also (except it has Angels way down at the bottom, but at the same time the Angels are six games out of the division. They are really close to the wildcard).

Has this been discussed here before? I searched it but found nothing. What are you thoughts on it? I have always been under the impression that walks kill pitchers, and dead pitchers equals dead teams. Home runs seems obvious also.

I can't find the formula to get the final numbers right now however, I'll keep looking though.

EDIT: After further review it looks like it is just taking the rankings of each team and adding them together. At the bottom it says summing the rankings. I missed that on first glance.
    Last edited by The Voice of IH; 08-16-2012 at 09:12 AM.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ESPN's Beane Count

For playing half of our games in the GASP, I'd say our pitchers have done an outstanding job limiting home runs. 6th in the NL is great considering the Cardinals are the only team who has given up less home runs that doesn't play in a cavernous ballpark.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

I was kind of hoping to get people's take on this.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

It's a supposed shortcut for the same basic stuff that we care about when we look at more complex metrics. Do the same list by wOBA and it would be a little bit more accurate. But homers and walks get you pretty far by themselves in that they are significant components of success and teams vary by them quite a bit.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I used to read Neyer a lot, and I remember the column where he busted it out. I think he was just clowning around really. I'm guessing if he thought the stat would be maintained by ESPN ten or so years later, he would have refined it.

As said above, walks and homers are major components of runs scored, but the "Beane Count" is missing a lot of components. Neyer knows this. Neyer worked for Bill James and learned a lot from him.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Turn Off Ads?