Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Athletes being your age

Re: Athletes being your age

i'm only 18 so i have still have a lot of time to get things accomplished.

the one thing i'd like to do one day is become a Nascar driver but what bums me out, is that Ryan Blaney is about a month younger than me and making big in Nascar, while i have never driven a car in my life lol. there's plenty of other talent younger than me on their way to the top 3 stages of Nascar. plus, it's also very, very expensive. anyone got $20,000? lol

i don't know, i want to accomplish something in sports, but at my age (athletes start working on their craft at very young ages) and size (5'3"), there's not a whole lot of avenues to turn to.
    Last edited by Spider Tre; 09-07-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    There are 3 guarantees in life; death, taxes, and the leadoff walk coming around to score.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    meanwhile, stock away $75 a week for the rest of your life and retire a millionare. Find a good wife, one that shares your beliefs (or at least understands them) and morals, someone that both challenges and nutures you and you won't have to chase love the way many professional athletes have lossing half their wealth in divorce settlements or to child support payments. Enjoy that your knees won't be wrecked at 40 and getting out of bed won't be a struggle. Enjoy your kids if you have them, teach them the things you've learned thru life, try to mold them into good citizens and better people.
    Well done.

There it is, the secret of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Tre View Post
    i'm only 18 so i have still have a lot of time to get things accomplished.

the one thing i'd like to do one day is become a Nascar driver but what bums me out, is that Ryan Blaney is about a month younger than me and making big in Nascar, while i have never driven a car in my life lol. there's plenty of other talent younger than me on their way to the top 3 stages of Nascar. plus, it's also very, very expensive. anyone got $20,000? lol

i don't know, i want to accomplish something in sports, but at my age (athletes start working on their craft at very young ages) and size (5'3"), there's not a whole lot of avenues to turn to.
    I was on that path once upon a time, except my goal was Indy Cars. I made it as far up as a few races in the F2000 series (for those of you not familiar with the open wheel ladder system, I was the equivalent of an "organizational guy" at Bakersfield), but didn't get any further. I'm 38 now, so I'm long past my "sell by" date as an aspiring pro racer, but there are still plenty of ways to go out and race. To be totally honest, with your lack of experience and money (my god this sport takes a lot of money if you want to move up) you've got an extremely small chance of moving up to the big time. I started at 10, and I was considered old for starting then. But you don't have to bail on the sport just because you're not a big time NASCAR driver. Even if you're just running a junker at your local short track, once you get behind the wheel you'll never want to leave. You don't have to be big time to get so much enjoyment out of it, just do whatever you're able to and you'll love it. There's an old saying - "racing is life, everything else is just waiting." It's soooooo true.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I was on that path once upon a time, except my goal was Indy Cars. I made it as far up as a few races in the F2000 series (for those of you not familiar with the open wheel ladder system, I was the equivalent of an "organizational guy" at Bakersfield), but didn't get any further. I'm 38 now, so I'm long past my "sell by" date as an aspiring pro racer, but there are still plenty of ways to go out and race. To be totally honest, with your lack of experience and money (my god this sport takes a lot of money if you want to move up) you've got an extremely small chance of moving up to the big time. I started at 10, and I was considered old for starting then. But you don't have to bail on the sport just because you're not a big time NASCAR driver. Even if you're just running a junker at your local short track, once you get behind the wheel you'll never want to leave. You don't have to be big time to get so much enjoyment out of it, just do whatever you're able to and you'll love it. There's an old saying - "racing is life, everything else is just waiting." It's soooooo true.
    sucks it didn't pan out for you. i do have my sights set on the ARCA Truck Series. i think that's about the same class as the F2000 series lol. not a whole of Nascar drivers come out of the ARCA trucks and i don't think any of the current ATS drivers race any level higher (Nascar and ARCA stock cars). but it's cheap (well, i've seen trucks being sold for $18,000 that can run a couple of seasons and the race entry fees are only $70-ish), and it's based out of the midwest. mainly racing in the Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan areas

sounds right up my ally! just need to lose a little weight, up my endurance, learn how to drive, and hit the lottery lol
    There are 3 guarantees in life; death, taxes, and the leadoff walk coming around to score.

Turn Off Ads?