Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: 8/16/2012 Mets at Reds Sweep Day!

Re: 8/16/2012 Mets at Reds Sweep Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I get that Harvey is a budding young star, but it's pretty bad that Homer got stomped on by the Mets, who are simply not very good. They're not the Astros, but outside of Wright their hitters are marginal.
    All teams score once in a while. They scored 1 run combined the last 2 nights.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Homer had a 4.42 ERA through June. He then got hot on the West Coast, it carried over, altogether a great five game stint.

Since then, four games in a row allowing four earned runs or more, all relatively early exits.

Let's let Homer finish the season before we pass judgment, a strong finish would be great. But I had hoped he would continue to pitch well after that July streak, and unfortunately he hasn't.
    He was not good the first three months of the year. However he did make strides in July. Now it looks like he's reverted closer to the first three months of the year, but he's still getting ripped on balls in play at a ridiculous rate in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    They've managed to score more runs than the Reds this year, and in a much bigger ballpark.
    I saw that they have more runs than us, but I stand by my assessment. Duda was a significant contributor in that, and they jettisoned him to AAA. Daniel Murphy isn't playing, another of their better players. And giving up a HR to Bay? Just a disappointing performance against a beatable team, IMO.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    All teams score once in a while. They scored 1 run combined the last 2 nights.
    This is true. I'm frustrated though because I think Dusty basically gave the Mets the last 2 by keeping in Homer, even the Bay HR as well since I would have pulled Homer even before that.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I saw that they have more runs than us, but I stand by my assessment. Duda was a significant contributor in that, and they jettisoned him to AAA. Daniel Murphy isn't playing, another of their better players. And giving up a HR to Bay? Just a disappointing performance against a beatable team, IMO.
    The Mets are not a bad offense. That's a fact.

The Reds beat this team each of the last two nights. If you're going to expect sweeps, you're going to be constantly disappointed. This type of game happens all the time in the ebb and flow of a season.

Interesting 7th for the Reds. They sent 5 batters to the plate, got two extra base hits and a run, and made three outs, all on 5 pitches. Yep, every single Red swung at and hit the 1st pitch....
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

He was not good the first three months of the year. However he did make strides in July. Now it looks like he's reverted closer to the first three months of the year, but he's still getting ripped on balls in play at a ridiculous rate in August.
    Still, tonight can hardly be chalked up to bad luck. He's been ripped tonight, including by the opposing pitcher.

I think it was Doug who said that Homer may just need a different home stadium. He may be right. The guy's home/road split is ridiculous, he is a different pitcher outside of GABP.

Ron Darling just said that Ondrusek has been fantastic this year with one bump in the road. Ronnie, I'm a Logan fan, but c'mon.

The Reds beat this team each of the last two nights. If you're going to expect sweeps, you're going to be constantly disappointed. This type of game happens all the time in the ebb and flow of a season.
    Clearly correct. Let's hope the Cardinals experience the same kind of game when they get going tonight.

K for Ondrusek.

Haunted by walks

Ron Darling just said that Ondrusek has been fantastic this year with one bump in the road. Ronnie, I'm a Logan fan, but c'mon.
    Opposing announcers are always doing this with Ondrusek. They see decent numbers, but not his recent bad spells.

Still, tonight can hardly be chalked up to bad luck. He's been ripped tonight, including by the opposing pitcher.

I think it was Doug who said that Homer may just need a different home stadium. He may be right. The guy's home/road split is ridiculous, he is a different pitcher outside of GABP.

I'm not saying tonight can be chalked up to bad luck, necessarily. I'm not even able to watch the game tonight. Just pointing toward an obviously unsustainable BABIP, although it is an extremely small sample.

I think my point is being misunderstood. I can handle losing, this really doesn't bother me all THAT much. I just think Dusty punted this one by leaving out Bailey in a disappointing performance into the 6th when it was too late to potentially come back. Quite simply, I would rather lose 3-1 or 4-1 than 6-1. It may very well not mean a damn in the long run, but to spend my night watching it happen, it's frustrating. That's all.

I think my point is being misunderstood. I can handle losing, this really doesn't bother me all THAT much. I just think Dusty punted this one by leaving out Bailey in a disappointing performance into the 6th when it was too late to potentially come back. Quite simply, I would rather lose 3-1 or 4-1 than 6-1. It may very well not mean a damn in the long run, but to spend my night watching it happen, it's frustrating. That's all.
    Fair enough. Lord knows I love to blame Dusty as much as anyone, but I find it hard to blame Dusty here. Difference of opinion. You may be correct though, as I mentioned, I'm not even able to watch.

P.S. this is exactly the role Ondrusek should be used for.

Seven Reds in a row have now swung at and hit the 1st pitch.

Cairo breaks the string, and takes a strike.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

I don't consider this game over, by the way.

Mes blooped a single. Cairo strikes out. Wow he is struggling.

Cozart coming up.

Turn Off Ads?