Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cubs series 8/17

Cubs series 8/17

I thought down the stretch it might be nice to have a thread before each series discussing the Reds' upcoming series, and also checking in on the Cards and Bucs. I don't plan to start each one necessarily, anyone can do so, but I'll kick this one off and let's see if folks want to continue.

Reds play four with the Cubs at Cincy. Three scheduled games are Arroyo, Cueto, Latos against Travis Wood, Samardzija, and Volstad. Doubleheader game on Saturday likely Redmond for Reds (from AAA) against To Be Announced for the Cubs.

Reds are up 6 over Bucs, 7 over Cards. The two teams play each other now at St. Louis with McDonald v. Westbrook, Bedard v. Lynn, Karstens v. Garcia.

Cubs coming off home series with Astros, Cubs won 2 of 3. Reds are 6-3 against Cubs so far. Pirates are 4-5 with Cards so far.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cubs series 8/17

Dreaming of a Pirates sweep of St. Louis and Reds winning 3 of 4...

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Dreaming of a Pirates sweep of St. Louis and Reds winning 3 of 4...
    I'm dreaming that the Cards take two of three from the Pirates and the Reds sweep the Cubs.

We have different dreams. Look at the Pirates September schedule before you plan too many dreams of them winning in August.

I don't know, the Cards 9.5 back sounds really cool...

How about this, a 1-1 split with a rainout Sunday in St. Louis?

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I don't know, the Cards 9.5 back sounds really cool...

How about this, a 1-1 split with a rainout Sunday in St. Louis?
    Sorry, my position is non-negotiable.

Cards will get theirs when they play seven with the Nats (four in DC) and seven on the coast (four in LA).

I'm with mdccclxix, I want as much distance from the Cardinals as possible. I think we can fend off the Pirates.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

I just want the Reds to keep winning. That happens and no need to care about the Pirates and Cardinals.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

The Reds still need to beat up on the bad teams. They need to win at a minimum 3 of 4 this weekend. It would keep them at a good pace and also keep momentum going into a very tough 10 game stretch. Also winning this weekend will extend the lead since the Pirates play the Cards three games. Even though this a series against a bad team it's a very important series for the season. I wish that wasn't a doubleheader on Saturday. It seems most doubleheaders are split no matter who you play.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Hoping for 3 of 4. And as long as one of the teams (Pitt/StL) don't sweep, I don't care how that plays out.

As an aside, how comfortable and confident in this team have we all become when you have one of the very best players on the planet still on the shelf, yet we all hope/expect to win every series that the boys play. Kinda novel and nice, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The Reds still need to beat up on the bad teams. They need to win at a minimum 3 of 4 this weekend. It would keep them at a good pace and also keep momentum going into a very tough 10 game stretch. Also winning this weekend will extend the lead since the Pirates play the Cards three games. Even though this a series against a bad team it's a very important series for the season. I wish that wasn't a doubleheader on Saturday. It seems most doubleheaders are split no matter who you play.
    The doubleheader worries me too. I hope nothing surprisingly awful happens this weekend. Since we're all split on whether we want the Cards or the Pirates to take that series, let's just focus on our team beating up on the Cubs. The Reds are much more in control of their destiny than the other two, which has a positive spin as long as the Reds keep it that way. If they drop two or three this weekend, I'm going to be much more upset than anything that can happen in Pittsburgh.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm hoping the Cards and Bucs beat up on eachother, gain no ground, as the Reds sweep the Cubs.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

While I predict 3 of 4 for the good guys, I will not be upset if it's just a split at this stage.

As for the Pirates and Cards, it is more a tussle for the WC realistically. Of course, there's always the unlikely historic streak scenario that either of those teams catch fire and the Reds tank, but most likely these two are vying for that last WC spot. Of course, if neither plays well, you might see SF sneak in there.

One thing to remember about the boogeyman (Cards), between last year and this, they made over the bullpen last year and had a better rotation. This year, they will have to bludgeon teams with their offense and hope the pitching can hold. I just don't think they made the dramatic improvements that greatly aided their run last year, which was the bullpen makeover that turned an ugly stepsister into a supermodel seemingly overnite.

One thing's for sure: I want no part of that ignorant Wild Card one game playoff scenario after a year of hard fighting. More ignorance from the office of the Commissioner, setting up a really unfair situation if there is a wide disparity in records in the WC game. Imagine an 85-87 win team playing a 92-95 win team and it coming down to one game for a playoff series. Idiotic.
    Last edited by traderumor; 08-17-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm with mdccclxix, I want as much distance from the Cardinals as possible. I think we can fend off the Pirates.
    Yep, I think the Cards are going to overcome the Pirates in the standings.
    I want a big buffer against the Cards making another late season miracle charge.. Ideally, I'd like the Cards to miss out on the wildcard as well (would rather the Reds face Atl/Pitt wildcard winner, assuming the Reds hypothetically had to eventually play the wildcard team).
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I just want the Reds to keep winning. That happens and no need to care about the Pirates and Cardinals.
    This is where I'm at too. I am hoping for the Reds to win at least 3 out of 4 versus the Cubbies this weekend (preferably with two of them coming on Saturday night and Sunday afternoon when I'll be in attendance).
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I expect nothing less than a sweep.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?