Turn Off Ads?

Thread: My Cousin Steve

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

My Cousin Steve

It's hard to believe I'm writing this. My cousin Steve was transferred to Hospice this morning. He was diagnosed with stage IV melanoma about 18 months ago and despite a hard-fought battle he has been losing ground rapidly the past few weeks.

Steve is my age, 41, and like me a die-hard Reds and Bengals fans. I have fond and vivid memories of attending games with him, including Pete's #4192 and many years of Spring Training games at Al Lopez Field in Tampa. Steve was also a ball boy for the Reds in 1988, the year the All Star game was played in Cincinnati. It was fun to see him on the field with the best of the best.

He told some great stories about that season as a ball boy. He always dreaded when Paul O'Neill struck out to end an inning, because it was Steve's job to warm up the right fielder between innings. Precious Paul always had a little extra mustard on the ball when he was fuming.

Steve was treated exceptionally well by the players and staff. Barry Larkin stood out as one of the kindest and most generous of the players. In fact, he was able to get one of Larkin's gloves for me to use during a high school playoff game. It was the softest, most perfect glove I ever used and I'll never forget how cool it felt to be playing shortstop with Barry Freakin' Larkin's glove. I am forever grateful to Steve for making that memory happen.

Some of you may know Steve. He's a Sycamore grad of 1989 and spent most of his professional career in the restaurant biz. His father has been a visible figure with the Reds for more than 30 years, leading hundreds of trips with the Red Rooters and Rosie Reds during his days with Barney Rapp Travel and now Provident Travel. His family is Cincinnati Reds through and through, and something as simple as Reds baseball has provided a much-needed lift for Steve lately in what otherwise has been a very rough patch.

This is a very difficult stretch for Steve's immediate family, and his health is deteriorating by the hour. If you believe in prayer, I simply ask that you pray for peace, comfort, and maybe even a miracle. He would have done the same for me.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: My Cousin Steve

Best wishes to you, Steve, his family, and everyone close to him during this difficult time. I enjoyed the stories, and he sounds like someone I would've loved to have known. In fact, he and I have a few things in common already (I'm a Reds fan named Steve who graduated from Sycamore). Whatever happens, I'm certain it's for good reason, and I hope everything turns out for the best.

Very sorry to hear this. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts, CTT. Thank you for sharing some snippets of the joys in his life.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Great, heartfelt post. Your family is in my thoughts, man.

Thanks for sharing this, CTT. It is a very touching story.

I do believe in prayer and will be praying for him and your family.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I know Steve, having graduated from Sycamore the year before him. He is in my thoughts and prayers.

Sadly I just heard that Steve has passed away

CTT, Steve and you and your familes are in my prayers. Thanks for the stories about Steve and the Reds. Thanks for the info moewan.
    Last edited by jback76; 08-18-2012 at 10:20 AM.

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

Appreciate the kind words, thoughts, and prayers.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Way to young, Steve was a wonderful man.

Marty mentioned Steve's passing in the bottom of the fifth inning (first game).
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Godspeed, Steve. Assuredly, you are in a better place than the rest of us.

Sorry for you and your family's loss. Thanks for sharing his memories with us.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I'm sorry to hear about Steve. He sounded like a very good person and we all will be the lesser with him not around anymore. My condolences to the entire family.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?