Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kyle Waldrop

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Kyle Waldrop

So I searched all of this forum for a thread already about Waldrop and couldn't find one so I am dedicating this thread to him.

Waldrop is a lefty hitting OF who the Reds drafted in the 12th round of 2010.

He only got 29 PAs in 2010 and didn't do much in his first year of pro ball.

In 2011, he exhibit enormous power posting a .198 ISO, but struggled with a 22.2% K rate and a 3.4% BB rate. So while he did hit .273 last year, he only had a .305 OBP.

Waldrop has shown great strides in both his K and BB rate in 2012. In 455 PAs this year, he has more than doubled his walk rate to 8.4% and has taken a major chunk out of his K rate and now he is down to a 16.5% K rate. So while his ISO is down to .129, he has shown a much better eye at the plate.

I am going to be very interested to see if he can sustain this BB and K rates when he makes the jump to Bakersfield next year while also seeing if he can up that ISO in the bandbox that is Bakersfield.
    Last edited by Edd Roush; 08-17-2012 at 04:13 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I have seen him live 16 or so times this year. When I talk to casual dans about the Dragons I mention Waldrop, Ryan Wright and now Stephenson as the only potential Reds players someday.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Re: Kyle Waldrop

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    I have seen him live 16 or so times this year. When I talk to casual dans about the Dragons I mention Waldrop, Ryan Wright and now Stephenson as the only potential Reds players someday.
    No Ismael Guillon or Yorman Rodriguez?

Here is an article by Wally Fish. Apparently he really likes Waldrop.

The two aspects of his hitting that stand out to me are his consistency, has been in the .270's virtually all season until cracking .280 recently, and the number of triples, 15 in two years. For comparison, that is the same rate of AB/3B as Hamilton over that span. Given his age and rate of improvement, I think he has time to improve his power and base stealing stats. IMO, he belongs on the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Here is an article by Wally Fish. Apparently he really likes Waldrop.
    Thanks for adding the link, camisadelgolf. I wonder if anyone has heard anything from scouts regarding Waldrop. The 2012 numbers would seem to indicate that he has improved his plate discipline drastically, but I wonder if he is now losing some of his power in result.

Does anyone else have any opinions on him? Can we expect him to be an everyday outfielder in Bakersfield next year or do people expect him to repeat Dayton?

I definitely think he's one of the better everyday prospects in the system. Good size, good age, good athlete, left-handed, with a penchant for extra bases. Doesn't seem like a guy who will lack for power in the long run.

Definitely my breakout player for 2013, if he can't be said to have broken out already.

Having a Ft. Myers connection where Waldrop is from, I have followed him with interest. I walked into the park 2 weeks ago just in time to see him get the 1st of his 3 hits that night, the 3rd being a screaming low line drive that was hit so hard it still hit the wall on the fly. Then, to top it off he makes a web gem diving catch. I left 5th/3rd field that night with the same impression I got 2 years ago after watching Gregorious. Okay, you have my attention....

I feel 110 PAs into 2014 we may have a large enough of sample size to discuss Waldrop once again.

To update this thread on his 2013, Waldrop did have a great .204 ISO which allowed him to hit 21 bombs in Bakersfield over 540 PAs. That said, he lost some of the gains he had made in the walk department. He went from a BB rate of 8.1% in 2012 to 5.9% in 2013. His K rate ballooned from 16.4% in 2012 to 22.4% in 2013. So while Waldrop did progress in the power department in 2013, his approach struggled a bit at the higher level.

Waldrop returned to Bakersfield for 2014, and 110 PAs in, the power has regressed from the aforementioned .204 ISO to .133. I am hoping that is due to the cooler weather of April and as the temperature increases, so will his ISO. That being said, the reason I am bumping this thread and re-excited about Waldrop is an approach improvement. Waldrop's BB rate has gone from 5.9% to 9.1% and his K rate is barely above 20% at 20.9%. If Waldrop continues with this approach into the All-Star break and the power starts to show itself again, I think the Reds may have another solid OF prospect in the minors.

If Juan Duran does not get it going in Pensacola by the All-Star break and Waldrop and Winker continue their success, I have to think the Reds will have to give Waldrop or Winker the bump they deserve and end the Juan Duran experiment. If Winker can get back on the field soon and continue his tear of the Californai league, I think I go with Winker, but Waldrop could make things more difficult for the Reds. Or a Yorman/Lutz promotion could open a spot for both.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Juan Duran got $2M and is on the 40-man roster. They aren't ending that experiment at age 22. It simply won't be happening.

With Waldrop, it is interesting. He isn't exactly a good athlete. Not that he is a bad one, but he doesn't stand out athletically at all on the field. The power is real though, so .133 IsoP isn't concerning at all for me. Where I am intrigued is why was the approach there in 2012 and 2014 and abysmal in the other years? If 2014's approach so far a mirage or is it real? If it is a real development, then maybe he can do some real damage.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Juan Duran got $2M and is on the 40-man roster. They aren't ending that experiment at age 22. It simply won't be happening.

With Waldrop, it is interesting. He isn't exactly a good athlete. Not that he is a bad one, but he doesn't stand out athletically at all on the field. The power is real though, so .133 IsoP isn't concerning at all for me. Where I am intrigued is why was the approach there in 2012 and 2014 and abysmal in the other years? If 2014's approach so far a mirage or is it real? If it is a real development, then maybe he can do some real damage.
    Doug, reflecting back to my earlier post today, I do agree that the Juan Duran experiment will not end at 22. I see him as a prospect with a very small chance of ever having a productive MLB career and is he is taking up a valuable OF spot in AA. Maybe if his atrocious play continues until the All-Star break, the Reds will demote him to Bakersfield with the edict of improving his approach while maintaining his power. That probably is an order he will not be able to follow through on, but a 26:3 K to BB ratio is simply not going to work.

I do agree that there are questions surrounding Waldrop still, but the best case for the Reds is that Lutz, Yorman, Waldrop and Winker all continue playing well and the Reds can give all four promotions at the All Star break. There are no OF in AAA that warrant the Reds holding back Lutz or Yorman for if they continue at their current pace.

I would like to see the Reds challenge all four OF (if they extend this great sample size to a full half year) and then hopefully one can deserve to be the LF of the future next year and start Opening Day 2015 once Ludwick is off the books.

Waldrop is fantastic. I enjoy just sitting back and looking at the Bakersfield Blaze's stats so far this year. Waldrop and Ben Lively have been off-the-charts good. Jesse Winker is raking as usual. It's just a fun team to follow:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...=true&sid=t423

I've always liked Waldrop, and think of him as a poor man's Jay Bruce.

As far as making room in the Pensacola OF, I think Lutz should go to Louisville immediately, which clears one corner spot. While I agree that the Duran experiment is not going to end, I've always envisioned him as a 1B. Lutz should clear the way for Waldrop's promotion, which would come in May if it were up to me (and this continues), and when they're ready to give Winker a bump they can move Duran to 1B/DH.

Yorman and Arias could get respective bumps to new levels from CF later this season.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I've always liked Waldrop, and think of him as a poor man's Jay Bruce.

As far as making room in the Pensacola OF, I think Lutz should go to Louisville immediately, which clears one corner spot. While I agree that the Duran experiment is not going to end, I've always envisioned him as a 1B. Lutz should clear the way for Waldrop's promotion, which would come in May if it were up to me (and this continues), and when they're ready to give Winker a bump they can move Duran to 1B/DH.

Yorman and Arias could get respective bumps to new levels from CF later this season.
    I am not so certain that any moves are necessary at this time. I would like to see at least 100 more PAs of this level of success from Lutz or Yorman before I bump them up and I think that Duran deserves at least 100 more PAs before he is demoted. Therefore, the Reds still would have a bottleneck in Pensacola.

Lutz has been awesome in Pensacola this year, but he has had only 79 PAs in 2014. His 255 PAs last year were much more pedestrian.

Yorman only had 289 PAs in Pensacola in 2013, and struggled with his K rate (26.3%) and did not hit for much power (.118 ISO). While his K rate is now down to 22.9% in 2014, it is only 83 PAs. I would like to see Yorman keep his K rate in the low 20s and get his ISO to the .140-.160 range through around 250 PAs before I will want the Reds to bump up Yorman.

I think the All-Star break will be a good time to look at (hopefully) a more substantive sample of 2014 and the Reds can make a promotion decision at that point.

It's too early to make a move now, IMO.

17. Likes:

Chuckie (04-29-2014)

Turn Off Ads?