Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bring up billy hamilton on september 1

Re: bring up billy hamilton on september 1

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23 View Post
    Bring him up on August 31st. If Rolen can't go or any other player gets injured, you have just made Hamilton post-season eligible.
    Spot on.

PS If he is able to steal with a high success rate at the ML level, he would be a VERY valuable post season asset as a pinch runner/designated late inning base-stealer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jback76 View Post
    I agree with scott, I don't believe he's ready to help the Reds in the playoffs with his glove or bat. Do you take up a playoff roster spot with a pinch runner? I would love to see him up in September though. But I don't think we see him till next year sometime.
    I do.

A late inning stolen base is often the difference between winning a series and losing a series (Just ask the "Jinx breaking" Red Sox World Series Champion team). I also think he might be able to help us with bat and/or glove in the post season. A decent slap hitter with blazing speed can be a nightmare in short series. The question is, is Billy a "decent" slap hitter yet. We may well find out in September that he is.
    Last edited by smixsell; 08-28-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    Do you want him on the playoff roster?

Then just bringing him up in September doesn't make sense, as he needs to be on the 25-man roster before September to qualify. You would need to add him to the 25-man roster by August 31st if you wanted to go in this direction. While I know fan opinion on the bench is split, knowing what we know about this organization, who do you really think they would get rid of at this point to make that happen?.

They Reds have 3 Roster spots anybody can use to be on the playoff roster
    Ryan Madson, Nick Masset, & Bill Bray. They do not need to be on the 25 man roster before Sept 1st

Quote Originally Posted by jback76 View Post
    Do you take up a playoff roster spot with a pinch runner?

Yes, more so that during the regular season. Most playoff games are close, if you can steal a run late in each game it would mean a lot

Remember Billy Bates?
    Last edited by Krawhitham; 08-28-2012 at 02:37 PM.

I think Hamilton should be on the playoff roster as well. He adds so much more than Cairo does. Cairo is expendable at this point, he can only play first and third and after the Phillies game I think playing anywhere in the field is a waste. His batting is practically done too so using him as a DH in out (for WS).

I just think Billy Hamilton adds an extra weapon that this team needs to be that much more dangerous in the post season. Heck, just putting him in as a pinch runner is more than Cairo can do for the team. Hamilton just being on first will get into the heads of the opposing team and pitcher, thus making them lose focus. Hamilton's presense would be huge for this team in the playoffs, not to mention you are getting experience for him for the future as well.

Just drop someone to get Hamilton on the 40 man and then say Cairo is hurt so you can take Billy to the playoffs with you. Cairo will still get his ring too so thats good for everyone.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

I bet Hamilton and Phillips could put on a show in the middle of the field.....even when they are just out there waiting.

As to the 40 man..Costanzo was waived, so wouldn't that take him off the 40 man?(I know he was claimed back, and reassigned, but that shouldn't be an issue).
    So is there not an opening?

thanks reds fan .. i like where this thread has gone .. i read here a ton and post here and there .. i wish i had access to the big boy board .. i can only read ..

i think billy could be a huge asset to the team down the road this year and give some other fellas a rest ..

go reds ..

Turn Off Ads?