Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Travieso

Nick Travieso

Please use this thread to post scouting reports, links, and other comments about the Reds' 2012 first round pick.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Nick Travieso

It's weird. Didn't like the pick at first (simply because experts didn't project him in the first round) but I'm quickly warming up to it. If he really has a 99 MPH fastball, I'm intrigued to say the least.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/wat...12/#list=draft

Nick Travieso Rank: 32
    Archbishop McCarthy HS (Fla.), Sr.
    Height: 215, Weight: 6'2"
    osition: RHP
    DOB: 01/31/1994
    Bats: R, Throws: R Commitment: Miami

The Florida high schooler was on the move up Draft boards as the spring progressed, thanks to some serious arm strength and the potential for a solid three-pitch mix.
    Travieso can touch the mid 90s with his fastball, sitting comfortably in the 92-93 mph range, with very good movement in a downward plane. His buries his slider well down in the zone, with good late break to it. His changeup is deceptive at times, though he needs to improve his ability to keep it down in the strike zone.

Like with many young pitchers, he’ll need to refine his command at the next level, but he shows pretty solid presence and instincts on the mound while repeating a clean delivery fairly consistently. The fastball-slider duo alone would be enough for him to excel as a reliever, but he has the chance to develop into more than that down the line.

I like his mechanics more than Stephs.

MLB.com has him rated as the #32 player, Baseball America has him at #40 and the Reds take him at #14. I don't like the pick and I will like it a lot less if the Nats sign Giolito.

On the flip side since he was such a reach, hopefully he signs below slot enabling the Reds to get some upside guys later.

Hopefully he can sign quick and maybe we can see he and Stephenson in the Billings rotation. Any chance of that?

Like the pick more after reading this about his April 14th No Hitter.

http://www.browardhighschoolbaseball...-prep/01010629
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Love the pick. To be honest, I didn't have him on my radar because of where other palces had him ranked, he didn't seem to fit the #14 area or the #49-57 area so I didn't really check in on him. But after reading his scouting reports and watching the video all I was left thinking was "how the heck* was this guy ranked so low"?

You are telling me that a high schooler who throws 92-95 MPH, touches 99, has an above-average breaking ball and a change up that at least shows you something with good mechanics in a weak draft was in the #30-40 range? Please.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Love the pick. To be honest, I didn't have him on my radar because of where other palces had him ranked, he didn't seem to fit the #14 area or the #49-57 area so I didn't really check in on him. But after reading his scouting reports and watching the video all I was left thinking was "how the heck* was this guy ranked so low"?

You are telling me that a high schooler who throws 92-95 MPH, touches 99, has an above-average breaking ball and a change up that at least shows you something with good mechanics in a weak draft was in the #30-40 range? Please.
    What do you make of that, Doug? Do you chalk it up to him being a relief pitcher at best for his HS team prior to his senior year?

I kinda agree. If they went with a pitcher, I wanted a HS pitcher with upside- even if it meant more risk and a longer development window. They didn't take the guy I wanted (Giolito) but I'm OK with the pick.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    What do you make of that, Doug? Do you chalk it up to him being a relief pitcher at best for his HS team prior to his senior year?
    Chalk it up to him being a late bloomer, a very protective father who didn't want him throwing all year round at showcases like a lot of other guys do.

I was a little torn about this pick. It seemed like a huge overdraft looking at the rankings, but like you said, the scouting reports look pretty freakin' promising. Maybe a little raw, but seems to have an upside I never imagined we would land in this draft.

I was really hoping Hawkins would have slipped down he would look nice in LF. he will be in the bigs no later than 3 years that kid is a stud

Let the kids play!

Chalk it up to him being a late bloomer, a very protective father who didn't want him throwing all year round at showcases like a lot of other guys do.
    One might say a very wise father. Thanks, dad for doing what you can to save your son's arm.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I like the pick. I was hoping the Reds would try to target high ceiling players to add more top end talent to the system and it looks like they've done just that. I was all aboard the Gialioto bandwagon, but from all indications Travieso has a nice arm and comes without the questions surrounding his health and signability so I'm willing to give the Reds brass the benefit of the doubt.

Turn Off Ads?