Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Giancarlo-Cruz Michael Stanton is a strong, strong man

Re: Giancarlo-Cruz Michael Stanton is a strong, strong man

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I get his explanation but there is clearly a lot of error with it. There's no way that ball would have only landed 36 feet away from the fence if there were no obstruction. That's just not very likely.
    Based on what? Your statement only makes sense if you simply ignore the arguments he makes in regards to the angle of the of the overhang, angle of descent and so forth.

Yeah, it looked longer; but looks can be deceiving. There's a lot of error in perception as well.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

You know what makes Frazier's shot MUCH more impressive. Not the distance, the trajectory, the wind, the park it was hit in, or even the pitcher it was hit against. It's that it was a 2 run shot and Stanton's was a solo shot. Twice as productive. Debate OVER. :O)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    You know what makes Frazier's shot MUCH more impressive. Not the distance, the trajectory, the wind, the park it was hit in, or even the pitcher it was hit against. It's that it was a 2 run shot and Stanton's was a solo shot. Twice as productive. Debate OVER. :O)
    I thought it was going to be that it wasn't off of a hanging slider dead read middle of the plate like Stanton's was.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I thought it was going to be that it wasn't off of a hanging slider dead read middle of the plate like Stanton's was.
    LOL. Nah, I thought I'd go for the argument you stat guys are always using. It's all about production. *grin*

Stanton is definitely one of my favorite non-Reds to watch. Wish he were not a non-Red.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

What amazed me about Frazier's was that he was a bit off balanced and out in front when he hit it. Not as impressive as the homer he hit with his hands literally letting go of the bat as he hit it, however.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    What amazed me about Frazier's was that he was a bit off balanced and out in front when he hit it. Not as impressive as the homer he hit with his hands literally letting go of the bat as he hit it, however.
    Yeah, I don't remember anybody hitting for as much power while looking so bad doing it...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Based on what? Your statement only makes sense if you simply ignore the arguments he makes in regards to the angle of the of the overhang, angle of descent and so forth.

Yeah, it looked longer; but looks can be deceiving. There's a lot of error in perception as well.
    You picked this one line out of my whole post? It's based on the fact I trust people that saw the trajectory in person to have a better estimation of it than he did. My own opinion is the ball was not on a rapid descent downward, but he definitely didn't have a better view than the ballpark estimation.

By his own admission, the lone view of the homer he has cannot know the trajectory of the ball. So his explanation only makes sense if he ignores that the person in the ballpark that did the estimation had a better view of that than he could possibly know off the camera angle. But I say based on the same view he had that there's no way it only would have traveled just over 36 feet further. I'm not challenging him on his rationale for the math, I'm saying the math is wrong because it's based on a terribly big assumption.
    Last edited by Brutus; 08-18-2012 at 03:35 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I just saw Frazier's HR today. Holy craaaaaaaaaap.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I just saw Frazier's HR today. Holy craaaaaaaaaap.
    Yes, but not nearly as mathematically impressive. It actually hit something and fell backwards before landing.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    I used to hit 300+ yd drives with ease when I lived in Colorado and that was with much older club technology in the late 90s. Good times.
    Excellent point.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

HTO has Stanton's home run at 494 when adjusting for the wind and sea level and all of that other fun jazz.

Stanton's homer was hit much, much further than Frazier's home run. It isn't even close. That ball was an absolute bomb.

I analyzed the radio call of each home run. The Marlins announcers sounded like Stanton's was further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Stanton's homer was hit much, much further than Frazier's home run. It isn't even close. That ball was an absolute bomb.
    The ballparks had each one going 474 feet. Apparently, it was close
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?