Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Giancarlo-Cruz Michael Stanton is a strong, strong man

For a Level Playing Field

Re: Giancarlo-Cruz Michael Stanton is a strong, strong man

Geometry, wind aided, thin air... as long as it clears the wall before touching the ground it counts the same. No bonus runs for distance/style/spin/etc. Save that crap for the All Star Game activities.

Makes me wonder. How many of you will still trade Chapman for this OF? Pitching, pitching, pitching...

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...hlight=Stanton

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Actually the wind was blowing in....

And I would absolutely, without blinking, trade Chapman for Stanton. Not even a second thought.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Actually the wind was blowing in....

And I would absolutely, without blinking, trade Chapman for Stanton. Not even a second thought.
    Chapman for Stanton? Heck yes. Lets get the physicals done before they change their mind.....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Would you trade Bruce for Stanton?
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    Yes.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

YES. Chapman... hell no. The lack of good arms has contributed to the lack of pennants on the Great American walls/poles much more than bats. The taste of a 10-8 loss still lingers in my mouth. I guess after too many of those defeats (10+ years?) it will take some time to eliminate that after-taste. Each time Chapman takes the mound it is like a strong Altoids mint helping to eliminate that nasty taste.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I think the better question is, would anybody in their right mind not?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    YES. Chapman... hell no. The lack of good arms has contributed to the lack of pennants on the Great American walls/poles much more than bats. The taste of a 10-8 loss still lingers in my mouth. I guess after too many of those defeats (10+ years?) it will take some time to eliminate that after-taste. Each time Chapman takes the mound it is like a strong Altoids mint helping to eliminate that nasty taste.
    The Reds teams of the lost decade couldn't field, hit or pitch.

Chapman would have been a curiosity on those teams much like Dunn....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The Reds teams of the lost decade couldn't field, hit or pitch.

Chapman would have been a curiosity on those teams much like Dunn....
    This I cannot argue. However, I like "strength in numbers". The number of runs scored is important, but runs allowed gets the nod IMO when comparing the two. And of course defense is important. But when Chapman takes the mound you might get away with a "The King and His Court" defense.

I de-railed the thread! I just cannot believe REDS fans have forgotten the era of Harnisch/Haynes/Graves/etc. The playoff-less era. Bats are sexy. Arms win.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    This I cannot argue. However, I like "strength in numbers". The number of runs scored is important, but runs allowed gets the nod IMO when comparing the two. And of course defense is important. But when Chapman takes the mound you might get away with a "The King and His Court" defense.

I de-railed the thread! I just cannot believe REDS fans have forgotten the era of Harnisch/Haynes/Graves/etc. The playoff-less era. Bats are sexy. Arms win.
    I don't think we have forgotten about it. Mike Stanton the every day player is going to help you win more baseball games than Aroldis Chapman the reliever ever will. If Chapman were a starter, this might be a different thing. But it isn't.

I don't think we have forgotten about it. Mike Stanton the every day player is going to help you win more baseball games than Aroldis Chapman the reliever ever will. If Chapman were a starter, this might be a different thing. But it isn't.
    Starter? Now we're talking, doug.

Even as a reliever, the WAR differential right now is only 4.0 to 3.3. Not a vast difference. And one could argue that is a close enough difference Chapman is still more valuable.

That said, there's nothing stopping the Reds from converting Chapman to a starter and the official word is that's still in the plans.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Yep. It would be a pretty easy decision as it stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Even as a reliever, the WAR differential right now is only 4.0 to 3.3. Not a vast difference. And one could argue that is a close enough difference Chapman is still more valuable.

That said, there's nothing stopping the Reds from converting Chapman to a starter and the official word is that's still in the plans.
    While you are right, I just see the Reds keeping Chapman in the bullpen and I expect Stanton to continue to get better. Plus, Stanton has only played in 92 games and put up that 4.0 WAR, where as most guys have played 120 games or so.

Hopefully the Reds do the right thing and at least give Chapman a real shot at starting, not like the shot they gave Marshall at closing, but a real shot even if he has a few hiccups along the way. I just don't have faith that it is going to happen.

While you are right, I just see the Reds keeping Chapman in the bullpen and I expect Stanton to continue to get better. Plus, Stanton has only played in 92 games and put up that 4.0 WAR, where as most guys have played 120 games or so.

Hopefully the Reds do the right thing and at least give Chapman a real shot at starting, not like the shot they gave Marshall at closing, but a real shot even if he has a few hiccups along the way. I just don't have faith that it is going to happen.
    I like Stanton, a lot. But it's easier to find a Stanton than it is to find a Chapman.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?