Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 Reds defenders that you've seen

Top 5 Reds defenders that you've seen

I really enjoyed the discussion about the Top 5 Reds arms, so I thought I'd create another one. A lot of you have seen a lot more of the game than I have, and I love reading about old players I'm not too familiar with .

Top 5 Reds defenders of my time as a diehard fan:

1. Barry Larkin (He was the gold standard for shortstops during his time. Great arm, great range. Total package.)
    2. Brandon Phillips (Incredible second baseman. Makes the hard plays look routine, and makes the routine plays look like plays a little leaguer could make.)
    3. Bret Boone (Before his head grew 3 sizes and he added 60 lbs of pure muscle, this guy was known solely for a great glove. And that glove alone was enough to keep him in the show and in the starting lineup.)
    4. Pokey Reese (If he lasts a little longer, I probably put him higher on this list. He was an absolute joy to watch.)
    5. Scott Rolen (This isn't Rolen in his prime, but I still feel he belongs on this list over Mike Cameron, Joey Votto, and some other deserving candidates. He's an absolute rock for our infield at the hot corner, and even with a bad shoulder and bad back, he's fascinating to watch).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Top 5 Reds defenders that you've seen

One thing the Reds haven't lacked for over the years seems to be elite defenders. With the exception of the lost decade, haha. This should be a fun discussion. The "honorable mention" lists should be just as impressive as the top 5 lists I'd imagine.

I have no clue if stats back this up or not, but I don't think I've ever personally witnessed a better defensive season than Pokey Reese in 1999.

Eric Davis was also awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    I have no clue if stats back this up or not, but I don't think I've ever personally witnessed a better defensive season than Pokey Reese in 1999.

Eric Davis was also awesome.
    Pokey was breathtaking. An argument could be made that he was even better than Phillips when he was at his peak.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

1. Bench
    2. Concepcion
    3. Eric Davis
    4. Phillips
    5. Larkin
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Pokey was breathtaking. An argument could be made that he was even better than Phillips when he was at his peak.
    I think he was definitely better, defensively. Again, that's just based on observation.

Obviously, Phillips is the vastly superior player overall.

Bench
    Buddy Bell/S. Rolen
    Barry Larkin/D. Concepcion
    B. Phillips/J. Morgan
    E.D./C. Geronimo
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

1. Barry Larkin
    2. Pokey Reese
    3. Paul O'Neil - cannon for an arm and great helmet punter as a bonus
    4. Scott Rolen
    5. Eric Davis

Bench- he still defines the position.

Phillips- never have seen anyone better.

Concepcion- made the spectacular look routine.

Bell- As good as anyone at 3b, ever.

Geronimo- see Concepcion.

Funny, seems like this converstaion is all pointed/directed at the infield...

Can't Jay Bruce get some love in RF?
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Johnny Bench re-defined the position of catcher. I do not have the words to describe how unparalleled and breath takingly great he was in his prime. He has to be first on my list.
    As for shortstops, Davey Concepcion and Barry Larkin were both great. Barry is in the HOF because he was a much greater offensive force but in the field I view them as equals(I haven't done any statistical analysis to compare the two).
    Joe Morgan, Pokey Reese and Brandon Phillips all deserve mention as second base men ( and Tommy Helms won a Gold Glove as well). Based just on observation I put Phillips first.
    In the outfield Cesar Geronimo and Eric Davis stand out.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Bench is on top. After that, I'd have to think a bit. BP, Davey, Morgan, Geronimo, Larkin, BretB, ED, Pokey (at shortstop in single A it was like he covered the whole infield), who knows who else. I throw one out there though--Tony Fernandez, playing a position he didn't like (3b) for one strike-shortened year.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Bench
    Davis
    Larkin
    Morgan
    Phillips

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

1. Johnny Bench
    2. Brandon Phillips
    3. Dave Concepcion
    4. Eric Davis
    5. Cesar Geronimo
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Next 5

6. Pokey Reese
    7. Barry Larkin
    8. Scott Rolen
    9. Joe Morgan
    10. Buddy Bell
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?