Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Could Rolen fill Cairo's roll next year?

Could Rolen fill Cairo's roll next year?

I'll always think of Rolen as the main guy that pulled this Reds team out of the lost decade once and for all.Over the last few years Scottie has really become one of my favorite players and has been a complete class act.Unfortunately it's getting more and more obvious that Rolen's getting close to the end and with a much younger and very suitable replacement already on the roster I don't see how the Reds can bring Scott Rolen back as the starting third baseman next year.

That being said I was just wondering how likely it would be that the Reds try to squeeze a few more years of life out of Rolen's career by giving him a spot on the bench next season and if Scott would be willing to accept such a roll.He has to know he can't play everyday because of his back and other injuries so if he wants to keep playing I don't see why he wouldn't take the Reds up on such an offer.I don't have much doubt that he could handle first and with some effort probably second as well and we all know he can still play third.1-3 starts a week sounds about right to me and what a weapon he'd be off the bench.Either way it will be a sad day when Rolen leaves the Reds.I just hope we have a few more years before that day comes.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Could Rolen fill Cairo's roll next year?

No. Scott will be helping to raise his kids in south central Indiana.

And good for him, he's played hurt for many years, and made a very nice living for himself and his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I'll always think of Rolen as the main guy that pulled this Reds team out of the lost decade once and for all.Over the last few years Scottie has really become one of my favorite players and has been a complete class act.Unfortunately it's getting more and more obvious that Rolen's getting close to the end and with a much younger and very suitable replacement already on the roster I don't see how the Reds can bring Scott Rolen back as the starting third baseman next year.

That being said I was just wondering how likely it would be that the Reds try to squeeze a few more years of life out of Rolen's career by giving him a spot on the bench next season and if Scott would be willing to accept such a roll.He has to know he can't play everyday because of his back and other injuries so if he wants to keep playing I don't see why he wouldn't take the Reds up on such an offer.I don't have much doubt that he could handle first and with some effort probably second as well and we all know he can still play third.1-3 starts a week sounds about right to me and what a weapon he'd be off the bench.Either way it will be a sad day when Rolen leaves the Reds.I just hope we have a few more years before that day comes.
    I can't see Rolen enduring the road trips and time away from his family to be a bench player.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

....I love what Scott Rolen did for the Reds. I never believed in "veteran leadership" before. Now, I do. I learned something.

But you want your reserves to be able to play when somebody gets hurt and needs a breather. You can't count on Scott Rolen to be healthy enough to play.

You want to be a coach? You want to be a roving minor league instructor to keep your hand in the game? Sure. For as long as you want Scott.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    ....I love what Scott Rolen did for the Reds. I never believed in "veteran leadership" before. Now, I do. I learned something.

But you want your reserves to be able to play when somebody gets hurt and needs a breather. You can't count on Scott Rolen to be healthy enough to play.

You want to be a coach? You want to be a roving minor league instructor to keep your hand in the game? Sure. For as long as you want Scott.
    I was kinda getting at the idea that he could stay healthy as a reserve.You believe he would still be as injury prone only playing a few times a week?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm hoping Scott finishes strong, the Reds win it all, and he rides off into the sunset on top.

I hope he retires as a player and the Reds give him some kind of job within the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'm hoping Scott finishes strong, the Reds win it all, and he rides off into the sunset on top.

I hope he retires as a player and the Reds give him some kind of job within the organization.
    I would be very pleased if that's how things play out.

Still, I believe that Rolen could be useful in the future and while it's just a hunch I also believe he'd like to continue playing beyond this year.I've heard no retirement talk coming from Rolen.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post

I had thought about this previously and I would be cool with it, but I don't think Rolen would be.

Yes, I think Scott Rolen could OPS around .450 with a mediocre glove next season
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?