Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If our Rookie catcher Devin Mesoraco doesnt start hitting...

If our Rookie catcher Devin Mesoraco doesnt start hitting...

Just watching his batting, he doesnt look smooth and tonight 2 times he has runners on he doesnt get the job done. Runners on 2nd and 3rd 1 out, no way he should be pulling anything..I just wonder if the Reds will make a move to either demote him and bring up Navarro even though he didnt look good defensively? or watch the waiver wire? just curious

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If our Rookie catcher Devin Mesoraco doesnt start hitting...

We just haven't been getting good production from the Catcher position offensively this second half.

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

I say bring up Corky.Hell on defense,and has a little pop.He's played admirably the times he has been with the big club.I found myself griping at the radio to Mesoraco to get a hit.It's damn frustrating to get nothing out of him.
    Last edited by AintlifeGrande; 08-18-2012 at 11:30 PM.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

most rookies struggle. good thing we have few others that have picked things up quicker.

Considering he only plays twice a week, kinda hard to get that bat in a groove isn't it? He just needs to continue to work on his defense and calling a good game, the bat will come once he plays more regularly.

Plan to be spontaneous Jefferson24's Avatar

He has a lot of room for improvement. There is a reason he only plays twice a week.

I hope he gets better and I believe he will, just not helping this team a great deal right now.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    Considering he only plays twice a week, kinda hard to get that bat in a groove isn't it? He just needs to continue to work on his defense and calling a good game, the bat will come once he plays more regularly.
    this. most look and see his stats but lets be real most rookies play more than twice a week.

Devin simply hasn't been that good this year...rookie or not, he's not looked good. Reds didn't rush him a bit...let him develop at all levels of minors and were patient. He simply has to swing the stick better...way too much of yacker out there vs. swinging at pitches in his zone vs. wailing away with no patience.

Hope we didn't trade away the wrong catcher this year...next 2 years should give us the answer.

Mes needs more playing time with that type of swing at this point in his career. Very fast swing. He actually gets the count in his favor quite a bit, but doesn't put it away like he should because his swing mechanics are out of whack. Probably needs 4 starts a week to hone in.

I have no problem with Mesoraco, in fact Hanigan bothers me more. I like Mesoraco's defense and he has some fire to him. I would have him starting 4 or 5 times a week next year. I see him as a .275, 20-25, 65 rbi and good defense kinda guy.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Mesoraco has been one of the very few disappointing aspects of this season. In hindsight, it appears he would have been best served spending this season in AAA and letting Hanigan and Navarro handle the catching duties this year. He is lost at the plate and it's really frustrating to watch him hit.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    Hope we didn't trade away the wrong catcher this year...next 2 years should give us the answer.
    Very early on, it certainly appears Grandal is much more advanced at the dish than Meso. Yaz is hitting .289/.341/.554 with 5 HR, 14 R and 15 RBI in 91 big league plate appearances compared to Meso's .209/.288/.348 with 5 HR, 15 R and 14 RBI in 177 plate appearances.a

That said, it's very early (Meso is 24 - Yaz will be 24 in Nov) in both players career and Meso still has plenty of potential. However, I am concerned with Meso's bat. I too, see the .275, 20-25, 65 rbi potential that jback76 mentioned but his inability to hit the ball the other way makes me think he may be no better than a .250 hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by jback76 View Post
    I have no problem with Mesoraco, in fact Hanigan bothers me more. I like Mesoraco's defense and he has some fire to him. I would have him starting 4 or 5 times a week next year. I see him as a .275, 20-25, 65 rbi and good defense kinda guy.
    Why does Hanigan worry you? He seems to call games very well, is a great base hit hitter, and he also has a nice throw to 2nd base. I honestly think Hanigan is an excellent catcher. I'm not sure how he could worry you.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    Why does Hanigan worry you? He seems to call games very well, is a great base hit hitter, and he also has a nice throw to 2nd base. I honestly think Hanigan is an excellent catcher. I'm not sure how he could worry you.
    He doesn't worry me, he bothers me as in he's a singles hitter who gets on base, and is so slow he hasn't made it to 1st on his last ground ball from yesterday afternoon yet. I just feel like Mesoraco will be the better big league player. But no Hanigan doesn't worry me a bit. He is what he is, not real good. Just calling it like I see it.

Mesoraco is the type of player that needs to play everyday to get in a groove

Ludwick is the same type of player, and look what he has done since he has been playing everyday

Turn Off Ads?