Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Astros sack Mills, two coaches

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Astros sack Mills, two coaches

They should rehire Phil Garner and then Cecil Cooper and just do the same thing all over again, just to see if anybody is paying attention.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I came so close to winning my a manager will get fired before the Reds use a 6th starter bet.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I feel terrible for Brad Mills. Great baseball person and teacher. He was literally put in a no win situation. He may never manage again, but he's one heck of a bench coach.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Unless Mills was insubordinate, the GM that a lot of folks are applauding just took yet another step down. Can you do anything more gutless than fire a manager that you handed those players to work with? Again, unless he committed some major breach of contract or showed up the GM publicly, this is a joke and you may be looking at years of recovery after this clown runs them further into the ground.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Good luck finding a quality manager to take over that train wreck. I'd glad take Mills in the Reds system.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Unless Mills was insubordinate, the GM that a lot of folks are applauding just took yet another step down. Can you do anything more gutless than fire a manager that you handed those players to work with? Again, unless he committed some major breach of contract or showed up the GM publicly, this is a joke and you may be looking at years of recovery after this clown runs them further into the ground.
    I agree. I understand that a new owner and GM would want their own guy in. But what is possibly gained by firing a manager now?

In fact, the only possible conclusion that gets drawn would be the wrong one where a new manager comes in and manages to slightly less poor results and is thus hired like Mike Quadde in Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    While I agree with Houston's plan to clear its dead wood, I think this firing is completely classless. Nobody could have won much with that group. Maybe there is more to it, but this seems like a scapegoat move.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I agree with all the comments above.

A trainwreck is a trainwreck. They fired the only guy willing to deal with it, probably.

Unless something has been pre-arranged as a replacement, I don't know why anyone would want the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I agree with all the comments above.

A trainwreck is a trainwreck. They fired the only guy willing to deal with it, probably.

Unless something has been pre-arranged as a replacement, I don't know why anyone would want the job.
    Only 30 Managers jobs out there. I'm sure some one will want big league money.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Only 30 Managers jobs out there. I'm sure some one will want big league money.
    Come November, the Astros won't be the only team looking for a manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Come November, the Astros won't be the only team looking for a manager.
    Sure, but there are dozens of guys looking for a shot with some background to qualify them. I'm not talking about you and me, but guys like Dave Miley are always out there. I bet Rick Sweet would take the job or Chris Speier. They may not get Larussa or Torre to come out of retirement, but there will be plenty of guys willing to take major league money and looking for a chance.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I feel terrible for Brad Mills. Great baseball person and teacher. He was literally put in a no win situation. He may never manage again, but he's one heck of a bench coach.
    I agree with this whole-heartedly. I simply don't get it. It's not like you need a scapegoat for their season. I haven't heard any details (haven't watched the news all weekend) but you'd have to think he did or said something to ownership to warrant it. Otherwise....

Maybe he wanted out and they "fired" him so he wouldn't have to quit.

Gutless move by Lunhow. Good to see he's carried the Cardinals "class" with him to Houston.

Turn Off Ads?