Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: 8/19/12 - Reds vs. Cubs

Re: 8/19/12 - Reds vs. Cubs

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I think he could be a legit platoon option against righties, I don't see any reason not to be happy with that and expect anything more.
    I would be fine with that. Stubbs is great against lefties anyhow, so I wouldn't want to sit him in that role.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I think XP has given them something to think about in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    You know, I still expect Xavier Paul to turn into a pumpkin at some point. But I gotta say that so far, he hasn't and that has been very pleasing. He's delivered some very nice performances thus far.
    Prior to this season, X hadn't done much in his limited chances in the bigs. He has been pretty solid in the minors though. Maybe it just took time for himto become acclimated. I don't look for him to be an all-star, but I see no reason while he can't be a solid LH bat off the bench for the Reds. As long as too much more isn't expected of him, I see no reason for him to go gourd on us.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    At what point do we consider Xavier Paul is a legitimate option for CF?
    I don't see it (and I like Xavier Paul). CF is the outfield position at which he has the least experience. With the club's commitment to pitching and defense, I don't know if they would go with Paul as anything more than an emergency option in CF.

I see Xavier as a decent 5th OF on a good club (or a 4th OF on a bad club). There's nothing wrong with that--Herm Winningham was very useful in that same role for the Reds in 1990.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

At what point do we consider Xavier Paul is a legitimate option for CF?
    Never.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I just want to say congratulations to Hanigan. First career walk-off hit. (at least that's what the announcer said)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I don't see it (and I like Xavier Paul). CF is the outfield position at which he has the least experience. With the club's commitment to pitching and defense, I don't know if they would go with Paul as anything more than an emergency option in CF.

I see Xavier as a decent 5th OF on a good club (or a 4th OF on a bad club). There's nothing wrong with that--Herm Winningham was very useful in that same role for the Reds in 1990.
    Winningham is a good comp to Paul. I don' think he ever starts in CF but he has been a very good lefty bat so far of this season and maybe beyond 2012.
    I watched the postgame interviews and Dusty isn't happy at all with the defense. One of the few times I have ever seen Dusty really upset openly with his team. They do need to tighten things up. If this had been a better opponent this weekend the Reds could have easily lost 3 of 4 instead of winning 3 of 4. Thank goodness the Cubs were the Cubs and gave back nearly every gift that was given them.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Oh boy, he was safe at third. I'll take it.
    Watching the replay, it appears to me that Valdez has hit foot in the way and gets the tag down. Valdez also field the throw from Frazier with the runner having rounded third. His hand was down where the runner's was coming back in and kept it off the plate as he applied the tag.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Someone's YouTube video from the Sun Deck of the Paul and Hannigan ABs in the 9th. Really captures the atmosphere well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MfFd4R2_qY

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I was at this game yesterday and the atmosphere was pretty great overall. When XP hit that triple I about went hoarse screaming my head off for him. I had just said in the previous part of the inning (after Hanny threw out the guy at third) that I hoped Ryan got a chance to win the game in the bottom of the 9th since he had that great defensive play earlier and low and behold, XP set him up perfectly to be the hero! We went ballistic when Hanny got that hit and I actually kind of felt bad for the Cubs pitcher for a minute (only two pitches and he gets saddled with the loss, LOL). It was so awesome and you gotta love Latos being ready to get Hanny with the pie! You know, I've been to a lot of games this year and I honestly think this was the first walk off win I've seen all season. Awesome fun and for anyone who may not have noticed, Joey was also out there cheering with the guys at the end which was awesome. I love this team!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Turn Off Ads?