Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Marcus Stroman, 22nd overall pick in 2012 draft ouf of Duke, popped for PEDs

-The Insider-

Marcus Stroman, 22nd overall pick in 2012 draft ouf of Duke, popped for PEDs

Good job Marcus.

Medford's Marcus Stroman, the 22nd overall pick by the Blue Jays in this year's draft, received a 50-game suspension Tuesday for violating Major League Baseball's drug prevention and treatment program.
    Stroman, 21, tested positive for the stimulant methylhexaneamine while playing for Class A Vancouver, where he made seven appearances this season before his Aug. 1 promotion to Double-A New Hampshire. Stroman was a combined 3-0 with a 3.26 ERA with 23 strikeouts in 19 1/3 innings over 15 games.
    "Despite taking precautions to avoid violating the minor-league testing program, I unknowingly ingested a banned stimulant that was in an over-the-counter supplement," Stroman said in a statement. "Nonetheless, I accept full responsibility and I want to apologize to the Toronto Blue Jays organization, my family, my teammates, and the Blue Jays fans everywhere. I look forward to putting this behind me and rejoining my teammates."
    Stroman did not return a phone message, but his father, Earl, was surprised that his son tested positive for a banned substance and was certain that he had done so by mistake.
    "It's a shock," Earl Stroman said. "Unfortunately, with the timing of it coming right after those steroid guys [Melky Cabrera and Bartolo Colon]. But Marcus isn't involved with any of that stuff."
    Stroman signed with Toronto on July 3 for $1.8 million -- the approximate slot value for the 22nd spot in the draft -- and reported to Vancouver. He is the 28th minor-leaguer suspended in August alone and the first this month in the Blue Jays' organization.
    "This suspension is unfortunate and we are disappointed by this development," Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said. "The Toronto Blue Jays, however, fully endorse Major League Baseball's drug-testing policy and support the discipline taken today."
    Stroman, a standout pitcher at Patchogue-Medford High and Duke, was drafted by the Nationals in 2009 but chose to attend college instead.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Marcus Stroman, 22nd overall pick in 2012 draft ouf of Duke, popped for PEDs

Maybe we spoke too soon in declaring baseball's drug problem dead?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Marcus Stroman, 22nd overall pick in 2012 draft ouf of Duke, popped for PEDs

He is a bit of a surprise. But Josh Sale (1st round, 17th overall, 2010) was also busted today and is the 4th player on the Bowling Green Hot Rods to be busted in the last week. Apparently, whether they meant to do it or not, something was being passed around that clubhouse.

Why isn't this is the minor league forum?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

dookies and midgets need all the help they can get - he's both.

The problem in Bowling Green is meth. I imagine they were using it to stay up for those crazy Midwest League trips.

Seriously, that is the one league I wouldn't want an affiliate. Look at the upcoming 2013 schedule for visiting teams to Lake County.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    The problem in Bowling Green is meth. I imagine they were using it to stay up for those crazy Midwest League trips.

Seriously, that is the one league I wouldn't want an affiliate. Look at the upcoming 2013 schedule for visiting teams to Lake County.
    According to Ryan Brett's agent, one of the other 4 players busted on the Hot Rods, the substance they took was Adderal. It was not meth. Adderal can cause a positive on the drugs tests for methanphetamine.

I am not condoning their actions in any way, but as a person who lives right outside Bowling Green, and went to many, many games this year, this did surprise me. I just hate how it has been reported. They made a stupid decision. And now they will have to pay the consequences just like everyone else. Just wanted to clear the air a little bit.

Here is a link for what the agent's statement said....

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...s-release-PEDs

LOL

It's amazing how far we have come from the days of bowls of 'greenies' sitting out in the open in the middle of the clubhouse. Stimulants and baseball go together like peanut butter and chocolate. Stroman is clearly a 'throwback' to the good old days.

Turn Off Ads?