Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3 things that should be done before our postseason

3 things that should be done before our postseason

I know we are 26 games above .500. We are in 1st place. We have also feasted on some bad teams...which we should.

What concerns me is our run production against good and just plain OK starting pitching. If we make the playoffs,(we will know how good we are against the Phillies and Cards) we will face good if not great starting pitching every game.

This is what should be done in my opinion, to help this line-up get more runners on base in more crucial times.

1) Hannigan should be moved up to bat 2nd. The dude is batting .284 with a 368 on base percentage. Do you know how hard this is batting 8th...with the pitcher hitting behind you? Absolutely no protection. What would be his average with Phillips hitting behind him or Votto when he returns? How many more RBI's would Phillips or Votto have? Stubbs in comparison, has a horrible .295 OBP with 116 STRIKEOUTS.. Hannigan has only 30 K's..Stubbs has 140 more AB's. If we make the playoff's...Hannigan should start every game...I don't remember Molina taking off any days last year in October.

2) Frazier has to play over Rolan. I'm a huge Scotty fan, but Frazier is an everyday player. Scotty plays on Sunday and pinch hits. Start Frazier. He has to be in the everyday lineup.

3) When Votto comes back, Paul has to stay on this team. Cairo has to be released. I'm assuming Dusty want's to keep the same number in the bullpen. Heisey has a lot more pop in his bat and can play all OF positions...you keep him too. I love ya Cairo but Paul has taken your spot.

Do you agree?
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 3 things that should be done before our postseason

I think the Reds wait to bring Votto back until September for this very reason. They won't have to release anyone when he comes back, the rosters will expand to 40. Cairo can stay, Paul can stay. All is right in the world.

I agree, Hanigan should be moved up. But I think most of us know that won't happen. I'd like to see BP hit leadoff and Luddy cleanup, but I don't think that's happening either.

I actually don't mind Scotty playing in the playoffs if he feels fresh. When he's been healthy this season, he's been stellar. He still has enough in the tank when it counts. And Frazier will get some playing time in the postseason depending on matchups. I think Dusty will handle it well.

Rolen's OPS (1.040) is .170 higher than Frazier's post all-star break.

A lot of us haven't been paying attention.

Hanny at #2 doesn't work for me. Give me Cozart at 2, Stubbs at 7, life is good.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    I know we are 26 games above .500. We are in 1st place. We have also feasted on some bad teams...which we should.

What concerns me is our run production against good and just plain OK starting pitching. If we make the playoffs,(we will know how good we are against the Phillies and Cards) we will face good if not great starting pitching every game.

This is what should be done in my opinion, to help this line-up get more runners on base in more crucial times.

1) Hannigan should be moved up to bat 2nd. The dude is batting .284 with a 368 on base percentage. Do you know how hard this is batting 8th...with the pitcher hitting behind you? Absolutely no protection. What would be his average with Phillips hitting behind him or Votto when he returns? How many more RBI's would Phillips or Votto have? Stubbs in comparison, has a horrible .295 OBP with 116 STRIKEOUTS.. Hannigan has only 30 K's..Stubbs has 140 more AB's. If we make the playoff's...Hannigan should start every game...I don't remember Molina taking off any days last year in October.

2) Frazier has to play over Rolan. I'm a huge Scotty fan, but Frazier is an everyday player. Scotty plays on Sunday and pinch hits. Start Frazier. He has to be in the everyday lineup.

3) When Votto comes back, Paul has to stay on this team. Cairo has to be released. I'm assuming Dusty want's to keep the same number in the bullpen. Heisey has a lot more pop in his bat and can play all OF positions...you keep him too. I love ya Cairo but Paul has taken your spot.

Do you agree?
    Regarding 1., I'm not opposed to having Hanigan near the top of the order, but I think this move isn't quite as attractive as people make it out to be simply because of his dearth of running ability. Nonetheless, the Reds do need to get guys on base in front of Votto-Ludwick, etc. so it's probably an improvement.

Regarding 2, who's Rolan?

As far as 3, I'd rather have Cairo than Valdez, but I know that's probably not going to fly simply because Cairo isn't the most graceful of fielders to be playing shortstop at this point in his career.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

It would all be roses if Hanny hit second right up until the day he gets thrown at at home trying to score from third on a base hit.

Do you agree?
    Cairo is absolutely not getting released mid-season by the Reds. That's just not how this team operates. Not to mention the fact that Dusty loves veterans and he's not ditching a playoff-experience vet during the stretch drive in favor of a bunch of unknowns.

Just not gonna happen.

I think Miguel Cairo makes the playoff roster. I think XP does too.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 08-19-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I think the Reds wait to bring Votto back until September for this very reason. They won't have to release anyone when he comes back, the rosters will expand to 40. Cairo can stay, Paul can stay. All is right in the world.
    Who makes your playoff roster? You can't have 40..

We've got less than 2 wks 'till rosters expand. There's no sense in releasing anyone. If we're talking about not including Cairo on our playoff roster, I'll listen

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I don't think the Reds will hold back Joey Votto so they can keep Cairo. As soon as Votto is ready to comeback, be it tomorrow or August 31st, he needs to be in the line up.

Which by the way, will help this offense in the playoffs
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Valdez is my weakest link right now. I'd be searching for an upgrade via waiver trade right now. He's the only real backup SS so he has a roster spot for now, but he just isn't producing at the plate whatsoever...like .500ish OPS the past 2 months.

Miggy seems to have been snapping out of it lately so I will go with the hot (or lukewarm) hand and not focus on upgrading him for now.
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 08-19-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Valdez is my weakest link right now. I'd be searching for an upgrade via waiver trade right now. He's the only real backup SS so he has a roster spot for now, but he just isn't producing at the plate whatsoever...like .500ish OPS the past 2 months.

Miggy seems to have been snapping out of it lately so I will go with the hot (or lukewarm) hand and focus on upgrading him for now.
    I was thinking as you but Miggy would be brutal at SS if Cozart went down in the playoffs..Valdez would be better....but at the plate? Not a good situation.

I was thinking as you but Miggy would be brutal at SS if Cozart went down in the playoffs..Valdez would be better....but at the plate? Not a good situation.
    Oh no question about it. Until you get a new backup SS, Valdez stays. That's why I mentioned the waiver trade.

Edit - I mispoke. I would NOT focus on upgrading Miggy.

Ryan Hanigan has a .720 OPS and he has been intentionally walked 10 times. If you bat him 2nd he'll have 0 IBBs and his OPS will be in the .600's and he's slower than death.
    Last edited by reds44; 08-19-2012 at 11:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Ryan Hanigan has a .720 OPS and he has been intentionally walked 10 times. If you bat him 2nd he'll have 0 IBBs and his OPS will be in the .600's and he's slower than death.
    Nice thought to remove the IBB from the equation...that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    While I agree with the speed concern, he would not be batting second because of his slugging. His OBP is .368 and even without the intentional walks, it would be (probably) around .350. The idea is to get people on base in front of Votto/Ludwick/Frazier, and that would certainly do the trick.

I do agree with the speed concern, though. I think that would partially mitigate some of the OBP points.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?