Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast

Thread: 8/20/2012 Reds at Phillies

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: 8/20/2012 Reds at Phillies

Wow. what a stat. 70-22 this year when we score at least 3 runs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I beat you to it Sir Charles, just barely! Still impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr View Post
    I would assume that that situation wouldn't be mop up then.
    Well that situation has often been Simon's role this year, and that's the role that Homer is suggesting be given to Ondrusek instead.

Simon hasn't been given the "mop-up" tag. He's been giving the tag of long reliever -- the guy that comes in a game when the starter can't make it out of the 3rd or 4th inning. Tonight it was LeCure, but usually it's been Simon.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    At this point Dusty probably wanted a day off to remain a day off since it's a 6-run game.
    You are right, I'm sure. But if Ludwick hit one out with two on, its only a 3 run game. And he would only need to play left for 1 inning unless we tied it up. Oh well, not that big a deal.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

I'm curious, for as much as you complain about Ondrusek, say in a game like tonight where the Reds are down 7-5 in the 4th, would you really want Ondrusek pitching three innings in a game where the Reds are still very much in the game?

That's been Simon's role this year... coming in games where the starter was booted early. Many of those games, though, the Reds were still in the game. So you don't trust Ondrusek to hold 2-run leads in one inning, but you trust him to go three innings and keep the Reds in a game?

No offense, but that doesn't make much sense.
    I said I wanted Ondrusek in the lowest leverage situations. Alfredo Simon has pitched the most low leverage innings this year. I would much rather Logan Ondrusek have that role than Simon. I'd much rather have Ondrusek in a game where they trail by two where they are much more likely to lose, and he has much less of a chance to truly affect the outcome of a game, than have him pitch with a two run lead.

LOL. What was THAT Paul? Sliding attempt....missed it by half a football field. :O)

Wonder what the Reds record is when they don't hit a HR?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Well that situation has often been Simon's role this year, and that's the role that Homer is suggesting be given to Ondrusek instead.

Simon hasn't been given the "mop-up" tag. He's been giving the tag of long reliever -- the guy that comes in a game when the starter can't make it out of the 3rd or 4th inning. Tonight it was LeCure, but usually it's been Simon.
    At one point in the season, the Reds were something like 2-15 in games that Simon had pitched in. And Simon has been pretty darn good. That's the definition of a guy used in a mop up role.

*sigh* Single up the middle to load them up. 1 down. This is getting ugly.

And just as Homer said....Simon warming up for mop-up duty.

I for one would like to see Ondrusek getting lots of high leverage chances....in Louisville.

JJ Hoover up, Logan down.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Simon up in the BP
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

This game is gone...will the Reds be able to hit Cliff Lee tomorrow? Only 2 wins. 12 mill per? Should be a good one if Homer comes back to form.

I don't know that I use Simon tonight. Someone has to be available in case Bailey implodes. Just let Logan suck up the last 2 - now 1 - out. You really don't want him available for a few games anyway.

Phillies score in 7 of their 8 innings tonight.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Just one of those nights. Our pitchers didn't have it and the Phillies brought out their lumber. Get 'em tomorrow boys.

Turn Off Ads?