Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This picture is presented without comment

This picture is presented without comment

"Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This picture is presented without comment

He looks like a Far Side character
    I know a lot of people are talking about his on-base percentage (.308 in 2008), but I like to think more in terms of him his in-scoring position percentage. - Our Beloved Manager

Did he follow that up with a 20-dip UDF cone?

There's so many things wrong with that picture I don't even know where to begin.

I can't get past the shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I can't get past the shirt.
    Borrowed it from Joey
    Most Vottomatic Player

In 15 years -grandpa munster.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    In 15 years -grandpa munster.
    I was surprised at what I found on this, but Jeff Brantley today is actually eight years older than Al Lewis was when he played Grandpa Munster (41). In fact, he was a year younger than Yvonne De Carlo and just three years older than Fred Gwynne, who played his son. I think he had one of those faces like Walter Brennan (Grandpa McCoy, for those my age) who always played old, even early in his career.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Those look like breaded rocks.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

BTW, does anyone know what the story is behind this picture? I'm assuming it's for some promo or another. I think someone has noted this elsewhere, but if Brantley actually ate like he suggests he does (and I think it's mostly a schtick), he'd be a heart attack waiting to happen.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I hope he has a good exercise routine to burn all those calories he apparently eats.

When I turned 40, it was like my metabolism dropped off significantly.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Something about the character he's crafting as a Reds announcer/eating good old boy that is 2nd rate IMO. It's about 3 decades too late, it screams Hee Haw and the mid 70's, all that is missing is the polyester and Dolly Parton jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Something about the character he's crafting as a Reds announcer/eating good old boy that is 2nd rate IMO. It's about 3 decades too late, it screams Hee Haw and the mid 70's, all that is missing is the polyester and Dolly Parton jokes.
    Overall I agree. The shame is, when Brantley puts his mind to it, he's capable of coming up with some great insights on the game in front of him; what a batter should be doing or seeing, how a pitch should be thrown, etc. He's no dummy. And just to beat the drum one more time, he really needs to work on modulating his enthusiasm when the opposing team does something good. I'm not looking for a dirge, but it should be more "matter of fact." My wife's caught on to this too. He'll make a call and then realize it's for the other team and she's constantly saying "why's he so excited". I wish they'd play to Jeff's strengths though.

The Baseball Bookstore

I completly disagree. Its why we all loved Joe, he came across as a self-effacing local boy who wore his heart on his sleeves. We looked past the Left-right centerfield because he was "one of us". Its why the Reds on Radio remained popular for so long despite so many more games becoming available on TV. The radio ratings remain high today. Why? Because listening to the Reds on the radio becomes more than just a game. You get jokes and backstories, stupid trivia and "ax Marty".

Lets face it, baseball is often a very slow paced game, sometimes going an hour or more with very little action on the field other than routine hits and bloop singles. Jeff adds some great commentary about the inside of the games, he mentioned early last night how he could tell a difference in Bailey's delivery, how he was "getting on top of his pitches better" Despite the 1st inning struggles, Bailey pitched very solidly last night, and Jeff nailed it by the 3rd batter of the game. Brantly also offers the sideshow for when the action slows down. Is it 70ish and hee-hawish? Sure, but that's largely the audience he's playing to. He provides great little nuggets of baseball wisdom while not taking himself too seriously, just like Joe used to do. The guy mowing his lawn before sun sets or working in his garage when it gets dark, the family enjoying the back yard largely appreciate the guy who feels more like one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I completly disagree. Its why we all loved Joe, he came across as a self-effacing local boy who wore his heart on his sleeves. We looked past the Left-right centerfield because he was "one of us". Its why the Reds on Radio remained popular for so long despite so many more games becoming available on TV. The radio ratings remain high today. Why? Because listening to the Reds on the radio becomes more than just a game. You get jokes and backstories, stupid trivia and "ax Marty".

Lets face it, baseball is often a very slow paced game, sometimes going an hour or more with very little action on the field other than routine hits and bloop singles. Jeff adds some great commentary about the inside of the games, he mentioned early last night how he could tell a difference in Bailey's delivery, how he was "getting on top of his pitches better" Despite the 1st inning struggles, Bailey pitched very solidly last night, and Jeff nailed it by the 3rd batter of the game. Brantly also offers the sideshow for when the action slows down. Is it 70ish and hee-hawish? Sure, but that's largely the audience he's playing to. He provides great little nuggets of baseball wisdom while not taking himself too seriously, just like Joe used to do. The guy mowing his lawn before sun sets or working in his garage when it gets dark, the family enjoying the back yard largely appreciate the guy who feels more like one of them.
    Sure I get that, it just doesn't resonate with me. I change the station when he goes it alone, I'll even listen to Milo Hamilton.

Turn Off Ads?