Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jeter Chips Away at Hits Record

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Jeter Chips Away at Hits Record

We see this about once every 5 years or so relative to some hitter. This time it is Derek Jeter and the possibility of passing Pete Rose. Do not believe it myself, but a decent (perhaps NYY slanted) read from the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/sp...&_r=1&emc=eta1
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jeter Chips Away at Hits Record

It has been written about, for Jeter, for years now. I don't think he will do it, but he probably has as good of a shot as anyone in our lifetime.

It depends how long he wants to play and, IMO, if his bat will be able to carry being a DH.

I hope he does it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

I don't think he'll do it. Even though he's beloved more than any Yankee in the last few decades, it's also a "what have you done for me lately" kind of city with a ruthless media. Jeter is now 38. When Jeter starts to hit his decline phase (which I acknowledge hasn't really happened for him), he's likely to either a.) not play everyday (especially with his poor range at SS -- unless he DHs) or b.) be forced into retirement. I don't think at this juncture Jeter plans to retire in another uniform. So when his production tapers off, I think he'll quietly be asked to retire.

If he gets a managing job and inserts himself in the lineup over better qualified players he could do it.

It's a proven method

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I don't think he'll do it. Even though he's beloved more than any Yankee in the last few decades, it's also a "what have you done for me lately" kind of city with a ruthless media. Jeter is now 38. When Jeter starts to hit his decline phase (which I acknowledge hasn't really happened for him), he's likely to either a.) not play everyday (especially with his poor range at SS -- unless he DHs) or b.) be forced into retirement. I don't think at this juncture Jeter plans to retire in another uniform. So when his production tapers off, I think he'll quietly be asked to retire.
    Sure looked like he was slipping for awhile there. I don't think he has it in him.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

Another 1,000 hits? I just don't see it. That's five more years of doing something he's only done once in the last five.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Another 1,000 hits? I just don't see it. That's five more years of doing something he's only done once in the last five.
    Or 6-7 more years of just being pretty good. Possible, sure. Likely? Not so much. I would like to see him make a run at 4000 though, that would be really exciting.

To average that production suggested in the article for another seven years looks to be nigh on impossible. His bat is slowing down and I don't think he's the kind of competitor who will accept not playing in the field regularly.

Hopefully he recognizes when it's time to hang it up and doesn't stay on too long.

I'd be very surprised if he plays for anyone other than the Yankees just to try and catch up to Rose, too.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Or 6-7 more years of just being pretty good. Possible, sure. Likely? Not so much. I would like to see him make a run at 4000 though, that would be really exciting.
    Yeah that's the thing, I just don't see him being able to sustain six or seven more years.

This year, his walk rate is way, way down to 5.4%. It seems it's because he's swinging at so many more pitches. He's expanding his zone a lot more and has a career-high swing%. It seems, while his strikeouts haven't yet suffered, he's starting to have to 'cheat' on pitches he didn't have to previously. While he's still getting it done this year, I feel like this is a sign it's going to catch up to him very soon (possibly next season).
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I don't think he can do it, but a lot of people were skeptical that Pete could do it. Of course, as WOY alluded to, being a player-manager helped quite a bit. Helped Cobb, too.
    But, I don't see Jeter as one of those guys who would embarrass himself and his team in order to achieve a person milestone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Sure looked like he was slipping for awhile there. I don't think he has it in him.
    Based on what? His batting average is .324 this season and he has 168 hits this year so far with quite a few games left this year. When he's played 150ish games, he's hit a 180ish hits and many of those years he's been close to 200.

Even though his walks are down, he's not really striking out anymore. His BABIP is in line with career norms. The biggest area he's taken a hit is in the defense department, where he's having his worst year since 2007. But that doesn't affect the number of hits he will get unless the manager yanks him from the lineup. And when you're hitting the way he has this year, he's going to be playing.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Based on what? His batting average is .324 this season and he has 168 hits this year so far with quite a few games left this year. When he's played 150ish games, he's hit a 180ish hits and many of those years he's been close to 200.

Even though his walks are down, he's not really striking out anymore. His BABIP is in line with career norms. The biggest area he's taken a hit is in the defense department, where he's having his worst year since 2007. But that doesn't affect the number of hits he will get unless the manager yanks him from the lineup. And when you're hitting the way he has this year, he's going to be playing.
    I think he's referring to last year when his walks first took a dip and his isolated power was down to a career-worst .092.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Helped Cobb, too.
    What??

True, and most don't realize that Cobb managed the Tigers from 1921-1926.

But Cobb had over 200 hits for 2 of those years, and had three years of .378, .389, and .401.

I don't think anyone on the bench could have done better.

Nick Esasky did not play for those Tiger teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I think he's referring to last year when his walks first took a dip and his isolated power was down to a career-worst .092.
    Jeter played his fewest number of games last year of any year in his career last season. He still had 162 hits despite that. I think if he had played 20 more games, he would've been in line with career norms. Jeter has often had slow starts to his seasons.

Turn Off Ads?