Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Offseason Plan

Offseason Plan

It's never too early to discuss (even when you're in the middle of a playoff run). If I'm Walt, here is what I do and the order in which I do it. All four are mutually exclusive options, meaning if 1 then no 2 or 3 or 4. If 2 then no 3 or 4, etc.

1. Address the Ryan Ludwick situation.

Try to exercise his $5MM option. If he wants more money or a multiyear deal, the most I'd offer is a 2-year deal in the $8-10MM range. If he wants more than that, I let him walk. He is already in his mid-30s and the Reds should have a LF ready by 2015, whether that's Lutz, Rodriguez, or maybe even Winker (not to mention Frazier). If Ludwick signs, great- there is not much that would change on the roster as Frazier would become the everyday 3B. If he doesn't, go to #2...

Phillips 2B
    Frazier 3B
    Votto 1B
    Ludwick LF
    Bruce RF
    Stubbs CF
    Cozart SS
    Mesigan C

2. Try to trade for Justin Upton

The Diamondbacks will look to trade for a SS this offseason, and they'll probably have to overpay. They've already indicated they will explore trading Upton this offseason. He is owed $38MM over the next three years, something the Reds could conceivably afford- particularly if they let Stubbs and/or Bailey walk. I'd offer Cozart, Stubbs, and their choice of any prospect in the system outside of Hamilton and Stephenson (including Corcino or Cingrani). D'backs get their SS for the next five years, their CF for the next two, and a top-flight prospect. Reds get their LF and cleanup or #2 hitter for the next three years. Win-win for both sides. If it works, Frazier still plays 3B.

Phillips 2B
    Upton LF
    Votto 1B
    Frazier 3B
    Bruce RF
    Heisey/LaMarre/Hamilton? CF
    Mesigan C
    Gregorius SS

3. Sign Kevin Youkilis to a 2 year $10MM deal.

The erstwhile Red Sox hero gets to return home to finish his career in front of his parents as he has said he prefers. He bats cleanup and plays 3B for 100-120 games to keep his legs and back fresh. He plays against all LHP. Henry Rodriguez spells him against tough righties for 40-60 games a year. Youk also plays 1B when Votto needs the occasional day off. H-Rod plays 2B when Phillips needs the occasional day off. Todd Frazier becomes the everyday LF.

Phillips 2B
    Frazier LF
    Votto 1B
    Youkilis 3B
    Bruce RF
    Stubbs CF
    Cozart SS
    Mesigan C

4. Trade Drew Stubbs, Homer Bailey and their choice of prospect other than the big four (Hamilton, Stephenson, Corcino and Cingrani) for Matt Garza and David DeJesus.

Provided Garza proves healthy in the offseason. The Cubs get salary relief in a year they are not going to compete (2013) by dumping two free agents-to-be. In exchange they get two slightly inferior but cheaper players who are signed beyond 2013, when they are expected to compete. In addition they can pick whatever prospect they like in the Reds system outside of the big four. They were dangling these two in a package to the Reds for Stubbs and Hamilton at the deadline. Now with a shorter window until FA, they settle for Stubbs, Bailey, and a good prospect. The Reds improve CF and their rotation, while gaining another LH hitter. Reds can make a qualifying offer to Garza after the season to get a high draft pick and let both players walk in free agency to be replaced by Billy Hamilton and either Corcino or Cingrani in 2014. Reds add payroll for 2013 only but shed it in time for Votto and BP to get expensive and Latos and Leake to get their big arb raises.

CF DeJesus
    2B Phillips
    1B Votto
    3B Frazier
    RF Bruce
    SS Cozart
    LF Heisey (maybe see if one of the youngsters like LaMarre or Lutz can make the jump)
    C Mesigan
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-22-2012 at 03:39 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Offseason Plan

I think the Youkilis idea is redundant. To me, Frazier has earned being called the future 3B. Youkilis is at the age where his production could really go downhill at any moment. As much as it would be a nice story, I would ride Frazier as the 3B going forward.

The Upton idea is nice in theory, but I don't see the Reds being a match.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Most likely they'll do very little. Hamilton will be on the doorstep to be coming up to play CF. They'll try to bring Ludwick back. Madson, I think, will be back.

Also, there's no chance Homer Bailey, Drew Stubbs, and a C level prospect nets you Garza alone, much less him and DeJesus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I think the Youkilis idea is redundant. To me, Frazier has earned being called the future 3B. Youkilis is at the age where his production could really go downhill at any moment. As much as it would be a nice story, I would ride Frazier as the 3B going forward.
    Only if Ludwick is not re-signed, in which case Frazier is the future LF. Youkilis on a hometown discount is probably a better FA alternative to the LF that are available (ie Swisher looking for $100MM+), and Frazier's defense in LF is slightly better than it is at 3B.

The Upton idea is nice in theory, but I don't see the Reds being a match.
    From the link I posted above...

Diamondbacks Will Seek Shortstop This Offseason
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 22, 2012 at 9:05am CST]
    The Diamondbacks traded Stephen Drew this week, officially acknowledging that he won’t return in 2013. The team will rely on Willie Bloomquist, Jake Elmore and John McDonald for the remainder of the 2012 season, but they’ll pursue shortstop help over the winter, GM Kevin Towers told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic.

"There's not a lot on the free-agent market, so more than likely it's going to take a trade,” Towers said. “We'll probably have to trade a good player -- or a couple of good players -- to find one."

Towers expects to encounter an “overpay situation” in his search for shortstops because there is only so much talent to go around. “Teams tend to really horde those type of players,” he said. The Rangers have enviable depth at the position in Elvis Andrus and top prospect Jurickson Profar. GM Jon Daniels says it’s a good problem to have.

“We don't know exactly how it's going to play out long term, but I'm not really all that concerned about it,” Daniels said. “I know that all the possibilities are good ones for us."

Piecoro suggests the Diamondbacks will talk to the Rangers this offseason. The Reds have middle infield depth behind Zack Cozart (Didi Gregorius and Billy Hamilton) and the Blue Jays have Adeiny Hechavarria and Yunel Escobar.

The Diamondbacks would like to see more of Elmore, but don’t seem convinced he’s more than a part-time player, according to Piecoro. And while they like prospect Chris Owings, they don’t expect him to be ready for the MLB level in 2013. Bloomquist and McDonald are both under contract for 2013.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Also, there's no chance Homer Bailey, Drew Stubbs, and a C level prospect nets you Garza alone, much less him and DeJesus.
    Disagree. Garza's value has fallen. As a FA-to-be coming off a significant injury, he has far less value to the non-contending Cubs. Ditto for DeJesus as a $5MM 33 year old CF. And I said a B level prospect.

Bailey will be cheaper, controlled longer, (arguably more durable), and will have thrown twice as many innings with the exact same ERA+ as Garza this year.
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-22-2012 at 03:49 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

1. Agree. Address the Ludwick situation. He likes it here. He fits in. He's having a career season. Some guys get worse with age. Some guys hit their stride in the mid-30's. We haven't seen him to be injury prone either yet. I'd consider a 2-year deal.

2. I'd consider trading for Upton, but not if you have to trade Hamilton, Stephenson, Corcino, or Cingrani........which you probably will. I'd push to include either Leake or Bailey, rather than the young pitching, simply for salary reasons. Choice of Bailey or Leake, Gregorius, Heisey or Stubbs, Lotzkar or Villareal. I do not trade Cozart. If they sign Ludwick and trade for Upton, Bruce becomes your everyday CFer, and you have to ask yourself if he feels comfortable with that or do you feel comfortable with that?

3. If the Upton trade fails, pursue Dexter Fowler. The Rockies need pitching badly. Make a similar offer as the Upton offer, but a bit less. Include Stubbs. Fowler can play CF, and Bruce remains in RF.

If successful with 2 out of the first 3, the outfield is set for a few years.

CF Fowler
    2B Phillips
    1B Votto
    LF Ludwick
    RF Bruce
    3B Frazier
    SS Cozart
    C Hanoraco

With Leake or Bailey gone, you have to figure out who you're 5th starter is.

Garza is damaged goods.
    I'd rather see Frazier full time at 3B than in LF.
    LF and CF, leadoff and cleanup need addressed more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Disagree. Garza's value has fallen. As a FA-to-be coming off a significant injury, he has far less value to the non-contending Cubs. Ditto for DeJesus as a $5MM 33 year old CF. And I said a B level prospect.

Bailey will be cheaper, controlled longer, (arguably more durable), and will have thrown twice as many innings with the exact same ERA+ as Garza this year.
    Then the Cubs will hold onto him and let him pitch and increase his value. Zero chance he gets traded for that little. Zero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    2. I'd consider trading for Upton, but not if you have to trade Hamilton, Stephenson, Corcino, or Cingrani........which you probably will. I'd push to include either Leake or Bailey, rather than the young pitching, simply for salary reasons. Choice of Bailey or Leake, Gregorius, Heisey or Stubbs, Lotzkar or Villareal. I do not trade Cozart. If they sign Ludwick and trade for Upton, Bruce becomes your everyday CFer, and you have to ask yourself if he feels comfortable with that or do you feel comfortable with that?
    If they sign Ludwick, trading for Upton is moot. Assuming they don't sign Ludwick, I'd include Corcino or Cingrani in the deal. Would be happy to sub Bailey in for either of them. They have a lot of young pitching, which is why I think they'd focus their efforts on Cozart.

3. If the Upton trade fails, pursue Dexter Fowler. The Rockies need pitching badly. Make a similar offer as the Upton offer, but a bit less. Include Stubbs. Fowler can play CF, and Bruce remains in RF.
    Love Fowler and advocated pursuing him this year. However I don't think the Rockies are going to move him.

One other option I didn't mention in the original post if Ludwick signs elsewhere would be trading for Shin Soo-Choo. The FA-to-be could probably be had for prospects that don't include Hamilton or Stephenson (ie Corcino or Cingrani, etc.)
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Then the Cubs will hold onto him and let him pitch and increase his value. Zero chance he gets traded for that little. Zero.
    He was on the table for Stubbs and Hamilton when he still had 1.5 years of control. With only one year and coming off a major injury, it is not inconceivable to downgrade Hamilton to Bailey + a B prospect.

I guess we'll see.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'd rather see Frazier full time at 3B than in LF.
    LF and CF, leadoff and cleanup need addressed more than anything.
    Agree with both. That is what I've attempted to do.

I'd rather see Frazier at 3B than LF, but if the available 3B are much more attractive than the available LF, I am fine with Frazier in LF.
    Go BLUE!!!

If they sign Ludwick, trading for Upton is moot. Assuming they don't sign Ludwick, I'd include Corcino or Cingrani in the deal. Would be happy to sub Bailey in for either of them. They have a lot of young pitching, which is why I think they'd focus their efforts on Cozart.

Love Fowler and advocated pursuing him this year. However I don't think the Rockies are going to move him.

One other option I didn't mention in the original post if Ludwick signs elsewhere would be trading for Shin Soo-Choo. The FA-to-be could probably be had for prospects that don't include Hamilton or Stephenson (ie Corcino or Cingrani, etc.)
    I'd rather sign Ludwick than trade for Upton. The price for Upton is going to be ridiculous. And Gregorius has dropped off substantially at triple A. If the D-Backs could be convinced to focus on Gregorius and none of the minor league top pitchers and Hamilton, that's the only way I consider it. Simply put, Ludwick doesn't cost us more of the farm system.

I'd be willing to consider Dejesus. But he'd have to play CF. Not sure if he can cover it anymore. Walt has a history of trading with the Cubs lately.......might be able to trade some spare parts for Dejesus. I think Dejesus would bring more to the table consistently than Stubbs. Defense would be weaker, but I think we're also clearing room for Hamilton, hopefully in 2014.

I'd rather sign Ludwick than trade for Upton. The price for Upton is going to be ridiculous. And Gregorius has dropped off substantially at triple A. If the D-Backs could be convinced to focus on Gregorius and none of the minor league top pitchers and Hamilton, that's the only way I consider it. Simply put, Ludwick doesn't cost us more of the farm system.
    I'd rather re-sign Ludwick too, provided the cost meets the parameters I listed in the OP. If he wants more, I'd let him walk and turn my attention to Upton.

I'd be willing to consider Dejesus. But he'd have to play CF. Not sure if he can cover it anymore. Walt has a history of trading with the Cubs lately.......might be able to trade some spare parts for Dejesus. I think Dejesus would bring more to the table consistently than Stubbs. Defense would be weaker, but I think we're also clearing room for Hamilton, hopefully in 2014.
    Only way I'd want DeJesus is if he could play CF. Otherwise, forget it.
    Go BLUE!!!

Only if Ludwick is not re-signed, in which case Frazier is the future LF. Youkilis on a hometown discount is probably a better FA alternative to the LF that are available (ie Swisher looking for $100MM+), and Frazier's defense in LF is slightly better than it is at 3B.

From the link I posted above...
    I don't think I'd be keen on trading Hamilton for Upton, to be honest. It's not necessarily overvalue Hamilton, but I'm still not sure which Upton is the real Upton. Two seasons of his career, he's been one of the best hitters in the game. The other two, this year especially, he's been someone that would not be worth the money and prospects it would cost to obtain him. His ISO this year is .124. Two years ago it was .170. The 2009 and 2011 version would be worth trading Hamilton for, probably, and be worth the money he will cost. But can we be certain that's the Upton the Reds would get?

I guess if the Reds lose Ludwick, then signing Youkilis is a decent alternative. I like Upton, but his total value is still a little iffy for me. I'd want to have a better idea what I'm getting if I were going to trade my best prospect to acquire him.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I say look at the team now and the success they've had developing from within.

Sometimes that's what makes me leary of trading our better prospects if they're not blocked.

Turn Off Ads?