Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: Reds vs. Phillies Thursday 8/23

Re: Reds vs. Phillies Thursday 8/23

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    we play full strength tonight, easy win

instead a loss. Better take 2 of 3 this weekend or else we just open the door a little wider.
    You cannot complain about resting BP, he's needed a day off for awhile. You can complain about resting Rolen in the same game, but to proclaim that we would have had an "easy win" if rolen had played.......not very persuasive.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Righthander View Post
    but then he had to bring in BP for defense - thus leaving himself shorter on the bench --- makes zero sense to me -- also makes no known difference since we lost it in the bottom -- but still -- in my book it was poorly managed
    Completely disagree. If BP hits for Valdez he stays in obviously. You still have to pinch hit for Hoover and/or Simon when they come up in the 9-hole be it in the 11th with a rally or leading off the 12th. It's the same scenario whether you go Heisey-BP or BP-Heisey.

Quote Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
    Hometown Hero is probably having a panic attack. The Cards have picked up a whole game.
    Its a bad loss no doubt after being up 3 in the 6th. Now if we don't win the series with the Cardinals we only have a 6 game lead if they return the favor on a sweep its 4 games lost in 4 days and they cut their deficit in half.

Their players and fans already think they can catch us, giving them light at the end of the tunnel is bad news. If we lose sizable ground to them on their 10 game trip then this race is far from locked down and they have a legit shot as they come back home for nothing but easy games until the final week when Washington goes there resting players and then we have to end the season there and haven't won many series there in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    we play full strength tonight, easy win

instead a loss. Better take 2 of 3 this weekend or else we just open the door a little wider.
    I don't think any logical thought would claim that facing Hamels would be an easy win regardless of the lineup. Especially considering he has simply dominated the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    Its a bad loss no doubt after being up 3 in the 6th. Now if we don't win the series with the Cardinals we only have a 6 game lead if they return the favor on a sweep its 4 games lost in 4 days and they cut their deficit in half.

Their players and fans already think they can catch us, giving them light at the end of the tunnel is bad news. If we lose sizable ground to them on their 10 game trip then this race is far from locked down and they have a legit shot as they come back home for nothing but easy games until the final week when Washington goes there resting players and then we have to end the season there and haven't won many series there in recent years.
    Honestly bro....stop worrying about Cardinal fan. No one cares what they say, think, do, etc. And they have exactly zero impact on whether the Cards will go on a run or not.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Completely disagree. If BP hits for Valdez he stays in obviously. You still have to pinch hit for Hoover and/or Simon when they come up in the 9-hole be it in the 11th with a rally or leading off the 12th. It's the same scenario whether you go Heisey-BP or BP-Heisey.
    OK -- I think I follow your thought -- makes sense thru the wine fog

The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Just can't bring Lecure in, in that situation the way he's been pitching lately. Since his sore shoulder thing he just hasn't been reliable. Don't know why that's not discernable from the dugout when its obvious from the stands. That was the biggest mistake. Oh well, almost stole it anyway.
    "Me carrying a briefcase is like a hotdog wearing earrings." Sparky Anderson

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

Getting a split was great. Would have loved to steal another tonight, but Philly played well especially in the end. Not going to complain.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Larkin View Post
    Getting a split was great. Would have loved to steal another tonight, but Philly played well especially in the end. Not going to complain.
    agree -- a split was my goal going in -- but I do get greedy now & then
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

I don't think any logical thought would claim that facing Hamels would be an easy win regardless of the lineup. Especially considering he has simply dominated the Reds.
    look back at he game and insert rolen and phillips and this game is a win.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Honestly bro....stop worrying about Cardinal fan. No one cares what they say, think, do, etc. And they have exactly zero impact on whether the Cards will go on a run or not.
    Playing in front of 30K+ every night keeps the players motivated when the fans quit showing up thinking they are done the players start to notice it and begin to doubt as well.

Playing in front of 30K+ every night keeps the players motivated when the fans quit showing up thinking they are done the players start to notice it and begin to doubt as well.
    LOL. Ok.

LOL. Ok.
    You honestly don't think a packed house in the dog days doesn't motivate a team?

You honestly don't think a packed house in the dog days doesn't motivate a team?
    How has it worked out for the Phillies and Red Sox??

Good teams win, bad teams lose. Period. IMO, the Reds in 2012 are better than the Cardinals.

And what about the Rays? They play in front of friends and family every night yet are still very much in the race??
    Last edited by Who Dey Time; 08-24-2012 at 12:03 AM.

Indeed if your bad you're bad, but if you have a good team its added motivation to battle late in the year.

Turn Off Ads?