Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mesoraco reinstated - optioned to AAA; Hoover recalled

Re: Mesoraco reinstated - optioned to AAA; Hoover recalled

Here is a clearer link explaining the rules.

"The position-player-for-position-player / pitcher-for-pitcher requirement is indeed now gone for substitutions prior to a series," O'Halloran wrote in an e-mail. "However, teams now are allowed to substitute for an injured player during a series. Such in-series substitutions are position-player-for-position-player / pitcher-for-pitcher, and the injured player cannot be active for the remainder of that series or the next series. Those substitutions also require MLB approval.
    http://www.blessyouboys.com/2011/8/3...ined-hopefully

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I don't get it. He's not going to use Navaro off the bench as a left handed bat because he never uses his second catcher
    as a pinch hitter. Does this mean we will be subjected to watching Navarro catch at some point? That's worse than watching Redmond pitch.
    I agree. Mesoraco has the better bat anyway*. He is better defensively. He has been working with Leake and Bailey all year. Navarro now has to learn those two pitchers.

I am struggling to see the upside of this move.

Now, Hoover has been lights out. No problem with him being on the squad.

*Okay I will throw out some stats.
    Navarro OPSd .832 at Louisville this year at the age of 28.
    Mesoraco OPSd .855 at Louisville last year at the age of 23.

Navarro, in his last four years in the majors has OPSd a Janish-like .577. His career OPS is a not-too-healthy .659.
    Mesoraco is OPSing .639 this year. Not much of a different there.
    Last edited by texasdave; 08-23-2012 at 04:51 PM.

In a post season series where every game counts, I don't see a reason to start mes for any of them. Hannigan is very capable of carrying the full work load with the extra off days, is a better game caller, better hitter, and better at throwing out runners. That leaves mes on the bench for the majority of the games, where carrying an extra left handed bat will help. This looks to me like a move to strengthen the post season roster more than anything. More than likely Mes will be back up in september anyways when rosters expand to continue to catch bailey and leake for the stretch run.

At the end of the day he wasn't going to be starting any playoff games anyway, and Dusty always saves the backup catcher for an emergency. I don't really think it's a big deal. I am confused about the whole thing though, a lot of different people reporting a lot of different things.

I dont get it either. Is this a punishment for being suspended? Navarro is just as a blackhole as Mesoraco and hasn't been catching with our rotation as much as Mes.

I hope he's back up by the post-season, he could use the experience. I'm glad Hoover is back, he deserves it.

He can be back for the post season without any problem, they real concern is why burn an option year just to get him 10 games in the minors?

You only get 3 options years, why waste one this late in the season?

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    He can be back for the post season without any problem, they real concern is why burn an option year just to get him 10 games in the minors?

According to this link an option is not used if the player is sent down for less than 20 days. So if they bring him back up on September 1st, then I am assuming no option will be needed.

A few things to remember as you count option years:

A player on the 40-man roster does use a roster if he is optioned during Spring Training.
    If a player does not go the Minors during a season, an option is not used.
    If a player spends less than 20 days in the Minors during a year, an option is not used.
    A player may be eligible for a fourth option if he has been optioned in three seasons but does not yet have five full seasons of professional experience. A full season is defined as being on an active pro roster for at least 90 days in a season.
    http://langosch.mlblogs.com/2012/02/...the-options-2/

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I don't get this move at all. I know - everyone knows - Mes has not hit the ball this year, but he's a really good defensive catcher and Navarro is...well, Navarro. I think this is the predecessor for leaving Mes off the post-season roster, and that just stinks if true.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

I agree. Don't like the move. The leather behind the plate is MUCH more important than a little more (?) lumber, ESPECIALLY in post season play.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post

Also true. Makes no sense to me.

So glad to see Hoover up. As for the Mesoraco/Navarro debate I think we'll see Mesoraco on the playoff roster and no Navarro. Neither of them will probably see much action anyway. With the off days in the playoffs Hanigan will see all of the playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    According to this link an option is not used if the player is sent down for less than 20 days. So if they bring him back up on September 1st, then I am assuming no option will be needed.
    Thanks for the info TexDave!

Quote Originally Posted by jback76 View Post
    So glad to see Hoover up. As for the Mesoraco/Navarro debate I think we'll see Mesoraco on the playoff roster and no Navarro. Neither of them will probably see much action anyway. With the off days in the playoffs Hanigan will see all of the playing time.
    Hope you're right. Even if Mes is going to be riding the pine as a backup C in the postseason, I'd rther have him there than Navarro. Defense is more important in the postseason, even in a backup C. (PS Not that Navarro is a much better stick than Mes anyway.)

Just a thought. Could this move be a possible prelude to a waiver trade?

Who knows what the thought process is here, but hopefully they're trying to get Mesoraco some more playing time to get his bat on track. Keep in mind that he hasn't played since Monday and wouldn't play again until Saturday.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Turn Off Ads?