Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaime Garcia headed back to St. Louis for MRI

Jaime Garcia headed back to St. Louis for MRI

Jaime Garcia will travel back to St. Louis on Sunday to have an MRI on his left shoulder, which began to bother him again this week during his bullpen sessions. Even if the MRI comes back clean, this setback likely won't leave Garcia enough time to get himself ready by the first week of the regular season.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/stl/...&vkey=news_stl

Remind me who called this first?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Jaime Garcia headed back to St. Louis for MRI

I don't know who called it first, but I do think it is in poor taste to call such things in the first place. I am all for hoping guys under perform. But injuries are a different animal.

4. Likes:

757690 (02-22-2014),Always Red (02-23-2014),Edd Roush (02-23-2014),MikeThierry (02-25-2014),Number_Fourteen (02-23-2014),Ravenlord (02-22-2014),Red Raindog (02-22-2014),SirFelixCat (02-22-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (02-23-2014),The Operator (02-22-2014),TRF (02-24-2014)

I imagine most baseball fans probably called this... at least silently. I was hoping Garcia could make it back, but shoulder injuries are so hard to come back from. It is/was foolish to think he would be back for the full season without injury concerns.

It's crazy to think that you can blow your elbow out, multiple times even, and get what's basically a tune-up and come back just as good in a year. But when it comes to shoulders, if the problem is serious at all - it's still a major threat to your career.

I wonder why shoulders are still so hard to work on?
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

7. Likes:

MattyHo4Life (02-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    It's crazy to think that you can blow your elbow out, multiple times even, and get what's basically a tune-up and come back just as good in a year. But when it comes to shoulders, if the problem is serious at all - it's still a major threat to your career.

With elbows you can replace what you broke. In shoulders you can't, you just cut out the parts that were messed up and they aren't replaced.

They call me "chef"

Moments after the Garcia news was made public, an energized Jonny Gomes was reportedly intercepted by security at the hallway leading to the Reds spring training clubhouse.

10. Likes:

Chuckie (02-22-2014),Krawhitham (02-25-2014),The Operator (02-22-2014),Wonderful Monds (02-22-2014)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

I wish I knew --

says the guy with one shoulder, 2 elbow, one wrist & one hand surgery who is now in therapy for the other shoulder

The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

12. Likes:

The Operator (02-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    With elbows you can replace what you broke. In shoulders you can't, you just cut out the parts that were messed up and they aren't replaced.
    Would it be practical at all to use synthetic and/or donor organs to replace the damaged portion of a shoulder??

I have next to zero medical knowledge so I'm genuinely curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Ball and socket joints are infinitely more complex than typical directional joints. Instead of having 1 range of motion to worry about (up/down like elbow) you have an infinite number of combinations that are affected. Your elbow also has a fewer number of muscle/tendons holding it in place whereas your shoulder has quite a few more that, in essence, create a cradle to hold your humorus in place. Shoulders are one of, if not the most, difficult parts of the body to work on from an orthopedic point of view.

15. Likes:

westofyou (02-22-2014)

Would it be practical at all to use synthetic and/or donor organs to replace the damaged portion of a shoulder??

I don't believe so.

Ill chalk this up to your admitted lack of medical knowledge but you don't really have too many (read: none) organs in your shoulder.

That said, we will see more synthetic implants/donors tissue used in the near future. I believe shoulder injuries (to speak of) are still 5-10 years out from becoming just a Tommy-John-esque repair.

18. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (02-23-2014)

This was going to happen at some point. For the Cards it's probably better that it happen now.

Cry no tears for that organization (though I don't like it for Garcia the person).

Salukifan2

Not a surprise. And I don't feel overly bad for him. He still made 27 mil dollars for throwing a ball

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Ill chalk this up to your admitted lack of medical knowledge but you don't really have too many (read: none) organs in your shoulder.

That said, we will see more synthetic implants/donors tissue used in the near future. I believe shoulder injuries (to speak of) are still 5-10 years out from becoming just a Tommy-John-esque repair.
    Speak for yourself; I have a miniature pipe organ in mine.

btw, I've never been convinced that St. Louis has an extraordinary amount of luck, like many people seem to think. They seem to be plagued with pitching injuries over the past several seasons. As are most teams, I guess. The Reds have been pretty lucky, otoh.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

22. Likes:

MikeThierry (02-25-2014),Revering4Blue (02-23-2014)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I wish that was the case. I have 4 pins, 2 staples, and 13 shoulder dislocations. At this point I would try about anything so that I could be as active as even 5-6 years ago!!!

24. Likes:

Red Raindog (02-22-2014)

Turn Off Ads?