Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mike Trout is Insanely Good

Re: Mike Trout is Insanely Good

The Angels would say, "That's very impressive. Now report to LF"

Mike has no options unless he wants to take it to court or quit playing baseball. It's not like arbitration is really that far away.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    The Angels would say, "That's very impressive. Now report to LF"

Mike has no options unless he wants to take it to court or quit playing baseball. It's not like arbitration is really that far away.
    My scenario is dependent on him being willing to quit, or at least sit out for a significant amount of time. In reality my scenario doesn't have to be Trout per se, just a youngster with the gravitas to make things compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    My scenario is dependent on him being willing to quit, or at least sit out for a significant amount of time. In reality my scenario doesn't have to be Trout per se, just a youngster with the gravitas to make things compelling.
    As I mentioned. The club would file a grievance, an arbitrator would rule in favor of the club. If the player still refused to report, the club could designate him or release him and the player wouldn't be able to play for another club (given his less than 3 years of service).

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    As I mentioned. The club would file a grievance, an arbitrator would rule in favor of the club. If the player still refused to report, the club could designate him or release him and the player wouldn't be able to play for another club (given his less than 3 years of service).
    So the Angels release him from their organization. If he wants to play baseball later on he must go back to the Angels still?

That's pretty cut and dry.

So the Angels release him from their organization. If he wants to play baseball later on he must go back to the Angels still?

That's pretty cut and dry.
    I'd assume the MLBPA would also file suit against him for breach of contract.

I mean what you're describing is essentially what Curt Flood did in 1969.

The Angels could also suspend him, or put him on the restricted or disqualified list(s) or they could suspend him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

A much more likely scenario would be Trout approaching the Angels about an extension and the Angels pouncing on the opportunity to buy out his control years in exchange for buying a couple of his free agent years.

I bet the Angels would be eager to accommodate Trout as the modest bump in salary was a big hit to his agent's head by a leverage stick.

Really Landis' vetching was an attempt to set parameters for the discussion. But the Angels hold the cards and it doesn't look like Trout/Landis necessarily want to sell control at the prices the Angels might dictate. But Trout could be set for life anytime he approached the Angels about an extension IMHO.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

9. Likes:

Chip R (02-13-2014)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I think his succcess this soon may have even surprised him. I'd try to cash in as soon as possible, even if it meant giving up some control. It's a pretty solid organization and a good place for him to settle down.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Well there you go:

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/2/1...tiation-angels

There's a good chance the Angels will renew Trout's contract again in March, but it won't have the sting of last spring's renewal because it will be done amid negotiations for a multiple-year extension that is expected to make Trout one of baseball's highest-paid players.

The sides hope to reach a deal after the season starts.
    The record salary for a first-time arbitration-eligible player is $10 million, earned by Ryan Howard of the Phillies in 2008 after winning the NL MVP award in 2006. Howard through 2007 hit .291/.397/.610, a 155 OPS+, with 129 home runs in 353 RBI in 410 games.

With a year to go before he is eligible for arbitration, Trout has hit .314/.404/.554, a 166 OPS+, with 62 home runs and 196 RBI in 336 games. But factoring in Trout's outfield defense and base running (86 steals in 98 career attempts), he already leads Howard in Wins Above Replacement (per Baseball-Reference.com), 20.8 to 11.5.

Hypothetical worst case scenario is the Angels renew Trout's deal - and if they really want to be dicks about it - they can cut his salary 20%. If he still doesn't report then they could suspend him.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Hypothetical worst case scenario is the Angels renew Trout's deal - and if they really want to be dicks about it - they can cut his salary 20%. If he still doesn't report then they could suspend him.
    Coming off a World Series title the Marlins decided to cut the pay to Josh Beckett, the 23 year old World Series MVP.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Fangraphs takes its shot at what a Trout extension will look like:
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/so-wh...look-like-now/

Well, that presents a little bit of a dilemma with Trout, because $6 million per win for a +9 WAR player leads to a $54 million per year salary. As good as Trout is, he’s not getting $50+ million per year four years from free agency. Kershaw’s just-signed $215 million extension guaranteed him an average of roughly $32.5 million per year the six free agent years he sold, and while I believe that Trout will beat that AAV, we’re not going to see a leap from $33M to $50M, especially considering their relative proximity to free agency.
    Pricing those free agent years at $40 million apiece, in addition to the $60 million he’d be getting for his remaining years of team control, would bring the total deal to $260 million over nine years. The deal would fall short of being the largest contract in baseball history, but would easily be the largest deal for any player still under team control. If Trout was particularly interested in breaking A-Rod’s record, adding a 10th year to push the deal to $300 million in total wouldn’t be that difficult, and should still be something the Angels are interested in doing.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

What's insane is that Trout could play out a $300M contract and still have 8-10 years of a career ahead of him.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Have there been any PED clawback provisions in contracts that are publicly known as of yet?

Angels sign Mike Trout to a record-setting One-Year, $1MM Deal. Rumored 6year, $150MM extension in work.

While the rumored long-term deal has yet to come to fruition, the Angels and Mike Trout agreed to a record-setting one-year deal, according to Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times. Trout will earn $1MM in 2014, marking the largest payday in Major League history for a pre-arbitration player. Trout's deal surpasses the $900K guarantee achieved by Ryan Howard in 2007 and Albert Pujols in 2003
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...-1mm-deal.html

Turn Off Ads?