Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013: Looking ahead

Re: 2013: Looking ahead

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    In case anyone doesn't know, a player must be on the active roster for at least 90 days to satisfy the rule 5 requirements. If he isn't, then the time must carry over to the next season. So if your plan is to stash someone on the dl all year, he has to be active for about half a season before he can be optioned.
    As long as you don't need the 40 man roster spot for somebody else, its not hard to sneak him by. Stash him on the DL to open the year, send him to extended spring for a month or so, give him month on rehab at the appropriate level, activate him for a while to play defense and pinch run late in games, back to the DL, more rehab, a couple more weeks active, and repeat the process until you add him when rosters expand in September. Send him to winter ball to get the ABs he missed during the season and repeat the process next year. With a kid as young as Yorman, he'd be 22 and still have all his options after a couple of seasons accumulating his 90 days. Even if he'd need to go back to High A in 2015 (or more likely mid 2014 when his 90 days are up) with all his options, he could still be a pretty decent player by age 24 or 25. If I was the Astros, I'd absolutely take him unless some other team left somebody even better available. It's even easier for an AL team (the Astros next season) that has no need to PH for the pitcher or double switch. The 25th men are much less important in the AL and many times are defensive replacements and pinch runners anyway.

This can work with a kid this young. You wouldn't try it with a 25 year old in high A, but it would be a no brainer with a guy like Yorman IMO.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-26-2012 at 08:22 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Reds tend to go with the 'better safe than sorry' method when it comes to protecting players. They protected Juan Francisco after despite not playing above A+, and he had a .303 OBP and .799 OPS that season (combined with terrible defense). They protected Donald Lutz despite never playing above A. They gave Kris Negron a roster spot. So and so forth. I think there's a very good chance the Reds protect Yorman Rodriguez, especially considering all the roster room they're going to have.

The Reds tend to go with the 'better safe than sorry' method when it comes to protecting players. They protected Juan Francisco after despite not playing above A+, and he had a .303 OBP and .799 OPS that season (combined with terrible defense). They protected Donald Lutz despite never playing above A. They gave Kris Negron a roster spot. So and so forth. I think there's a very good chance the Reds protect Yorman Rodriguez, especially considering all the roster room they're going to have.
    Agreed.

They also have a big investment in Rodriguez, and teams tend to be extra careful when bonus babies are involved. IMO he is a lock for the 40 man roster. They don't want to see that seven-figure bonus they paid him get flushed down the crapper.

Senor Votto

Any chance we'll see Duran or Yorman in the bigs any time soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Any chance we'll see Duran or Yorman in the bigs any time soon?
    Not unless they get drafted in Rule 5. I'd say 2014 at the earliest for either. Duran may need to make a move to 1B.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

My wish list for 2013 Wahoos coaching staff:

Manager: Delino Deshields
    HC: Eli Marreo
    PC : Ted Power
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

There's a pretty good chance Riggleman could be managing the Astros next year.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

There's a pretty good chance Riggleman could be managing the Astros next year.
    But how will he double switch if they are in the AL?

Houston would be the perfect place for Riggleman. Expectations would be low and no games vs the Nationals.

My point view on his time in Pensacola is that it took him about 2 months to adjust to being a Minor League manager again.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    As much potential as they have, I don't know that I see anyone being able to stash Y-rod or Duran on their 25 man roster for long enough to keep them. (Unless Houston is going for 130 losses next year)

I thought that in 1983 too....until Danny Tartabull was taken by The Mariners off the Reds hands in the Rule 5 draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I thought that in 1983 too....until Danny Tartabull was taken by The Mariners off the Reds hands in the Rule 5 draft.
    That wasn't the rule five draft; it was the short-lived free agent compensation draft. It was a terrible concept that came into play as a result of a compromise from the 1981 strike.

That wasn't the rule five draft; it was the short-lived free agent compensation draft. It was a terrible concept that came into play as a result of a compromise from the 1981 strike.
    OK. I forgot about that thing. That 1981 strike just kept on giving for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    As long as you don't need the 40 man roster spot for somebody else, its not hard to sneak him by. Stash him on the DL to open the year, send him to extended spring for a month or so, give him month on rehab at the appropriate level, activate him for a while to play defense and pinch run late in games, back to the DL, more rehab, a couple more weeks active, and repeat the process until you add him when rosters expand in September. Send him to winter ball to get the ABs he missed during the season and repeat the process next year. With a kid as young as Yorman, he'd be 22 and still have all his options after a couple of seasons accumulating his 90 days. Even if he'd need to go back to High A in 2015 (or more likely mid 2014 when his 90 days are up) with all his options, he could still be a pretty decent player by age 24 or 25. If I was the Astros, I'd absolutely take him unless some other team left somebody even better available. It's even easier for an AL team (the Astros next season) that has no need to PH for the pitcher or double switch. The 25th men are much less important in the AL and many times are defensive replacements and pinch runners anyway.

This can work with a kid this young. You wouldn't try it with a 25 year old in high A, but it would be a no brainer with a guy like Yorman IMO.
    I totally follow the logic here, but I'm just curious if anyone is aware of any precedent for this. I would think, at best, that Duran or Yorman are three full years aaway from being major league ready.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

I think the process as mth123 described it would not work. Bottom line is he has to be on active roster 90 days. Or roughly half the season. Sure, one of the months (Sep) is easier.

But even with that easy month than he has to be on 2 months of the other 5.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I think the process as mth123 described it would not work. Bottom line is he has to be on active roster 90 days. Or roughly half the season. Sure, one of the months (Sep) is easier.

But even with that easy month than he has to be on 2 months of the other 5.
    So finish the following season. Once his 90 days are up, I believe he can be sent down.

Turn Off Ads?