Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 89

Thread: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,199

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Bonds wasn't actually convicted of perjury based upon the testimony of others. The only thing the federal government was able to win was one count where they argued that he answered a question by giving a response that was too long therefore he was trying to be misleading.

    The Bonds trial was a huge egg on the face of those who wanted jurisprudence to punish PEDs users.
    No I know he wasn't convicted based on those words. But it was a general retort to people alleging misconduct. As a recovering Bob Knight apologist, I can tell you I was quite well versed in the "Well that guy has an agenda to bring him down" defense.

    Looking at it from the outside in, it simply seems weak.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,230

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Because he's a US athlete representing the United States. The USADA has a responsibility to protect the clean US athletes who might otherwise be tempted to cheat if a)they know they have the means to cover it up and b) they feel it's necessary to cheat in order to win.

    Assume for a moment that he's guilty. Would you feel like the USADA should turn a blind eye to his guilt because after all, he's an American and a great guy, and look how much money he's raised for cancer.

    His comeback has been inspiring and the money he has raised to fight cancer is a real accomplishment. But those have nothing to do with whether or not he cheated the system.

    Passing the drug tests doesn't really matter if he had a way of beating the system which is what was alleged.

    I think in general, if you pass a drug test, absent any other information, you're presumed clean. But I don't think anyone would assume that someone is clean just because they pass a drug test. Many people who were later caught cheating had passed hundreds of drug tests as well, so it's certainly not an absolute method of proof.
    I would have thought the USADA would pertain to events held on American soil or people representing USA funded teams ie. Olympics. To me that would be similar to the Dominican Republic having a testing board that could trump MLB's. If you or I were to go run a marathon over in London and win should the USADA get involved?

    I guess if your not going to believe the drug test then why have them? To me that is similar to your employer having a drug testing policy and you have passed everything. But an ex-girlfriend of yours produces a picture that shows you smoking something that you can't determine to be a cigarette or joint. Drug test says your clean, ex says your a stoner, what is the truth?

  4. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,182

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    There are multiple (I heard earlier that it was 10) eye witnesses who claim to have seen him taking things.
    ~500 tests (the number I heard on TV) in his career, including some completely random drug tests... and not one positive that ENTIRE time.... I think this is bull crap meant to make the rest of the world's riders feel better about getting their butt kicked for that long. There's no way you do something like win the Tour de France (let alone 7x), under that much scrutiny and not get caught if he did it.

    Could he have at one time? Maybe, but to have that many clean tests makes me believe this is just a giant witch hunt and I'm ashamed its being allowed to be perpetrated for so long. I don't blame him for finally saying you know what forget it, he made the Tour de France relevant again and thats more than what they can do for themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

    Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"


  5. #34
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,584

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Maybe, but to have that many clean tests makes me believe this is just a giant witch hunt and I'm ashamed its being allowed to be perpetrated for so long. I don't blame him for finally saying you know what forget it, he made the Tour de France relevant again and thats more than what they can do for themselves.
    Couldn't you just change Armstrong to Bonds/McGwire/Sosa and Tour de France to Baseball and say the exact same thing?

  6. #35
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,648

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    True. They obviously had enough evidence to have Lance bail on defending himself.
    I actually respect Lance a little bit for bailing on the entire thing. It's a kangaroo court that he'd be facing, and his participation in the process would only lend it legitimacy.

    They're not just asking Lance Armstrong to prove a negative, they're also effectively telling him that his best evidence (hundreds of clean drug tests, many of them random) is worthless compared to the "eyewitness" testimony they'll be bringing against him.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

  7. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,199

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I guess if your not going to believe the drug test then why have them? To me that is similar to your employer having a drug testing policy and you have passed everything. But an ex-girlfriend of yours produces a picture that shows you smoking something that you can't determine to be a cigarette or joint. Drug test says your clean, ex says your a stoner, what is the truth?
    Any test which can be cheated(ie any test) isi a useful tool, and again if there were no other evidence that he was cheating, he'd be given the presumption of innocence.

    But from the start, there have always been other forms of evidence which eventually amounted to the case that was brought up against him. Is it possible that every single person who said that he was cheating was lying? Sure. And if they had no way of corroborating their collective stories, again, it likely wouldn't have amounted to the case that it did.

    Using your example.
    If your ex-girlfriend gave an employer that photo, two guys who you smoked with corroborated her story, and the guy who sold you the joint says that yes, it was you, and he has records showing you purchased the weed on the day before the photo(datestamped) was taken.
    And then a chemist friend of yours explains to the employer that he showed you how to beat the drug test and provided video evidence that not only does his method work, but also that he showed you how to employ his method.
    Would that outweigh the drug test in terms of evidence?

    As to the other points brought up about whether it's fair for the USADA to conduct a witch hunt, or why the USADA should even bother when most(all) of his accomplishments occurred on foreign soil.

    I honestly don't know the structure of how each national Anti-doping agency within the World Anti-Doping agency conducts its business. The Dominican Republic's anti-doping agency probably accepts Major League Baseball's test because 1)It doesn't have as much time,money or technology to do a more thorough search and 2) It probably wouldn't want to kill the golden goose anyway.
    The USADA is not hampered by such constraints.

    However, I don't think it's generally wise for an agency to so singlemindedly pursue someone, even if they are convinced of his guilt. But just because the people chasing after him are foolish for doing so, it doesn't make him any more or less guilty.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  8. #37
    Member Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,326
    "@thesulk I knew Lance didn't have the ball to fight these charges."




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,510

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Let the French whine about what a cheater he is.
    When have the French ever whined about it?

  10. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,510

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Well we need to persecute Armstrong so as to be fair to the other athletes who werenít doping . So we take away Lanceís titles and give them to the guys who finished second. Wait, you say those guys have already been convicted of using? Well how about the guys who finished third. Oh, never mind.

    Query :are any of my tax dollars funding this nonsense?

  11. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,199

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    ~500 tests (the number I heard on TV) in his career, including some completely random drug tests... and not one positive that ENTIRE time.... I think this is bull crap meant to make the rest of the world's riders feel better about getting their butt kicked for that long. There's no way you do something like win the Tour de France (let alone 7x), under that much scrutiny and not get caught if he did it.

    Could he have at one time? Maybe, but to have that many clean tests makes me believe this is just a giant witch hunt and I'm ashamed its being allowed to be perpetrated for so long. I don't blame him for finally saying you know what forget it, he made the Tour de France relevant again and thats more than what they can do for themselves.
    It's funny. The utter domination is what makes me skeptical that he could have done it without doping.

    You're talking about a sport where performance enhancing drugs have a proven positive impact on one's results.

    You're talking about a population of racers which have routinely beaten drug tests which they later admit they were using PED's.

    The population of racers using performance enhancing drugs includes virtually every top competitor.

    And Armstrong didn't just beat them, he crushed them. He did this without inventing a new method to the task(like the fosbury flop) or a new tactic which would give him a large advantage. He did this by simply being stronger and faster then the rest of the racers, nearly all of whom have admitted to taking performance enhancing drugs.

    And he did it clean? While there's obviously nothing he could do beyond taking the drug test to prove his innocence, that doesn't mean the drug tests should be treated as absolute gospel. Marion Jones beat hundreds of tests while taking performance enhancing drugs. So did Tim Montgomery, and Floyd Landis, and on and on and on. Sure they eventually got caught, but they proved that as long as you don't slip up, you can beat the test.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  12. #41
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,008

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Eddy Merckx is happy today... no?

  13. #42
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,085

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Well we need to persecute Armstrong so as to be fair to the other athletes who werenít doping . So we take away Lanceís titles and give them to the guys who finished second. Wait, you say those guys have already been convicted of using? Well how about the guys who finished third. Oh, never mind.

    Query :are any of my tax dollars funding this nonsense?
    At least one judge refused to let tax payers foot the bill.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  14. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,510

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    He did this by simply being stronger and faster then the rest of the racers, nearly all of whom have admitted to taking performance enhancing drugs.
    For what its worth, not necessarily true: Armstrong was a brilliant tactician and ran a team that always seemed to work better than the other teams, something that's a huge advantage ion the Tour. Armstrong also was a "climber" which is a necessary skill to win the Tour but unlike most climbers, Armstrong could really sprint as well.

    I'm not sure where you're going- on one hand you say Armstong was so dominant that he must have doped, but on the other hand,you agree that everybody doped. So where's the advantage?

    Bottom line, he passed the tests, its a long time ago, its all based on "he said she said" evidence. It has all the earmarks of a witch hunt. Who cares anymore?
    Last edited by Mutaman; 08-24-2012 at 08:59 PM.

  15. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,199

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    For what its worth, not necessarily true: Armstrong was a brilliant tactician and ran a team that always seemed to work better than the other teams, something that's a huge advantage ion the Tour. Armstrong also was a "climber" which is a necessary skill to win the Tour but unlike most climbers, Armstrong could really sprint as well.

    I'm not sure where you're going- on one hand you say Armstong was so dominant that he must have doped, but on the other hand,you agree that everybody doped. So where's the advantage?

    Bottom line, he passed the tests, its a long time ago, its all based on "he said she said" evidence. It has all the earmarks of a witch hunt. Who cares anymore?
    I understand the argument that we shouldn't care anymore. But it's a completely seperate issue as to whether we should care vs whether he actually did it.

    The point that everyone else was doping goes to the fact that it seems unlikely in my mind that in a sport where there is an absolute advantage gained by doping, that a non-doper could go out and dominate a bunch of guys who were doping.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  16. #45
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,049

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Query :are any of my tax dollars funding this nonsense?
    Google hits of various reputation indicate that the USADA is indirectly taxpayer funded, mostly through federal grants.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25