Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 89

Thread: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

  1. #46
    Member hebroncougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    For what its worth, not necessarily true: Armstrong was a brilliant tactician and ran a team that always seemed to work better than the other teams, something that's a huge advantage ion the Tour. Armstrong also was a "climber" which is a necessary skill to win the Tour but unlike most climbers, Armstrong could really sprint as well.

    I'm not sure where you're going- on one hand you say Armstong was so dominant that he must have doped, but on the other hand,you agree that everybody doped. So where's the advantage?

    Bottom line, he passed the tests, its a long time ago, its all based on "he said she said" evidence. It has all the earmarks of a witch hunt. Who cares anymore?
    Isn't it that same team you're bragging on that is all saying he was indeed, doping?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,138

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    I can't seem to muster up any outrage one way or another for a guy that rode a bike.

    GL

  4. #48
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,667

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Observe: rough week for the surname--Lance stripped of awards, Neil dies two days later.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  5. #49
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Imagine if MLB, the NFL or the NBA gave a lifetime ban and stripped an athlete of all awards/wins based on heresay and "fully consistent w/ doping" test results. Do you think there would be a lawsuit?

    I suspect Armstrong doped. Sometimes certain things just seem too unreal to be true (7 Tour de France titles, right Melky?).
    This is where I'm coming from. Since when are you guilty if you are 500-0 in drug tests but a few people "say" you did it?

    OK, maybe he did, but if he passes the tests then he "wins" is the way I see it.

  6. #50
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    If this had gone far enough in court, there would've been plenty of people to say Armstrong is guilty. Then there'd be plenty of people with form of evidence or another to back it up (even if it's just a witness testimony). By quitting now, he never has to admit guilt, and his name won't be dragged through the mud. Even if he had won the lawsuit, there still would have been plenty of skeptics out there. Next thing you know, the witnesses are writing books about him and making a bunch of money by saying they saw him dope. This really is his best option. What strikes me as funny is that there are a lot more people saying "he wasn't caught" instead of "he didn't dope". I think it says a lot about our culture.

  7. #51
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Back in Florida
    Posts
    8,155

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    This is analogous the whole HOF debate. No one is sending Armstrong to jail. They are simply stripping him of honors/privileges which -after analyzing evidence- they decided that he doesn't deserve.

    The courts acquitted the Chicago 8. Judge Landis banned them anyway. Good for him and good the cycling authorities.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

    http://dalmady.blogspot.com

  8. #52
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    What strikes me as funny is that there are a lot more people saying "he wasn't caught" instead of "he didn't dope". I think it says a lot about our culture.
    Yes, that's what I'm saying. I think in order to sanction someone, you must catch him. I'd hate to think you could be found guilty of speeding if ten folks testified that they saw you going over the speed limit. I understand that sports has a different burden than law in that they can police themselves but I think they're going too far here

  9. #53
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Yes, that's what I'm saying. I think in order to sanction someone, you must catch him. I'd hate to think you could be found guilty of speeding if ten folks testified that they saw you going over the speed limit. I understand that sports has a different burden than law in that they can police themselves but I think they're going too far here
    I agree with Sea Ray here. Why are they wasting time and money on testing someone 500 times if it's completely discounted because 10 people said "I think I saw him do it."

    Whether it's Lance Armstrong or anyone else, I don't understand the point/role of the testing process if it can be completely ignored.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

  10. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,188

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I agree with Sea Ray here. Why are they wasting time and money on testing someone 500 times if it's completely discounted because 10 people said "I think I saw him do it."

    Whether it's Lance Armstrong or anyone else, I don't understand the point/role of the testing process if it can be completely ignored.
    I don't think it's ignored. It's supplemented because there is verifiable evidence that the test could have been cheated.

    No test is taken as an absolute standard, especially if there's evidence someone cheated the test.

    And again, Armstrong was (in theory) presumed innocent and was free to challenge the evidence given by those who accused im. He is choosing not to challenge the assertions and because he's not challenging the evidence provided against him, he's found guilty.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  11. #55
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,854

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    And again, Armstrong was (in theory) presumed innocent and was free to challenge the evidence given by those who accused im. He is choosing not to challenge the assertions and because he's not challenging the evidence provided against him, he's found guilty.
    I think the "presumed innocent" part is where you're wrong. In a presumed-innocent scenario, the accusers have to prove they're telling the truth. From everything I've read, the USADA accepted the accusations at face value and put the burden on Armstrong to prove the accusers were lying. And if all the passed drug tests aren't good enough, then what could possibly be?

    A lot of us have hit this scenario at some point in life, even if it's a six-year-old being tattled on for spitwad-throwing, not saying I ever did such a thing... there's a dispute, the authority figure believes someone else over you, and short of inventing time travel so you can take them back to the time and place of the incident, there's nothing you can do about it.

    To paraphrase an article I read, a drug test could lie but people definitely do lie.

    Having said all that, I'm not proclaiming Armstrong innocent -- for him to dominate a sport while being the only clean one in the lead pack strains credulity -- but just taking a position on the process.
    Last edited by IslandRed; 08-28-2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Typo
    Not all who wander are lost

  12. #56
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,567

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Having said all that, I'm not proclaiming Armstrong innocent -- for him to dominate a sport while being the only clean one in the lead pack strains credulity -- but just taking a position on the process.
    At the same time, if he cheated, then who won those races? If everyone racing in the races cheated, then wasn't it a level playing field? And if it was a level playing field with all of the cyclists cheating, Armstrong still blew away the competition, so who was cheated?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  13. #57
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,567

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    delayed double post after I came back to the website
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  14. #58
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,834

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Observe: rough week for the surname--Lance stripped of awards, Neil dies two days later.
    One news network initially had an article online that stated that "Neil Young", the first man to walk on the moon, had died.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  15. #59
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,805

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    One news network initially had an article online that stated that "Neil Young", the first man to walk on the moon, had died.
    I am assuming it was a Harvest Moon. In any case, Long May He Run.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

  16. #60
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Re: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from cycling

    From reddit: if officials awarded Lance Armstrong's 2005 Tour De France title to the next fastest finisher who has never been linked to doping, they'd have to give it to the 23rd place finisher.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25