Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: And this loss belongs to Dusty!

And this loss belongs to Dusty!

One look at the box score is all I need to understand that.

With both Valdez and Cairo in the lineup, Hanigan bats 8th! Result: Hanigan gets walked 3 times!

Still the weak lineup managed to score 3 runs against Hamel. But... Dusty mismanages the bullpen. On a night when Chapman and Broxton are both unavailable and he's shorthanded, Dusty decides to pull Marshall out early. He was pitching well. The last hitter got the bat on a very good pitch and found a hole in the infield. Why pull Marshall, you're best available reliever, in a close game that could go extra innings when you don't have Broxton or Chapman waiting to clean up!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: And this loss belongs to Dusty!

I don't agree with every move Dusty makes - including the two that you highlighted. Having said that, there's a certain level petulance in pinning a (rare) loss on the manager based on a couple of things you didn't agree with.
    Last edited by Biff Pocoroba; 08-24-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Was the game tied when LeCure came in?

No, the Reds had a 3-2 lead. Marshall had given up a single. Sam proceeded to then give up 3 singles

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

It never fails, something doesn't go right...blame Dusty!!!! Something goes right...it's in spite of Dusty. For the Dusty haters, you better get used to him being around because he's probly gonna get extended...and rightfully so!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pocoroba View Post
    I don't agree with every move Dusty makes - including the two that you highlighted. Having said that, there's a certain level petulance in pinning a (rare) loss on the manager based on a couple of things you didn't agree with.
    I'll grant you that better decisions may still have resulted in a loss. But those 2 decisions defy all logic. Even if Lecure gets out of it, I'd still be shaking my head at pulling Marshall in a game when we find out later that Chapman and Broxton weren't available. And what other manager in baseball would decide to bat Hanigan 8th with Cairo and Valdez ahead of him in the order? So maybe Phillips and Rolen needed a night off and this was a good night to do it since they don't hit Hamels well. Fine, not questioning his judgement on that. But why continue to bat Hanigan 8th in a weakened lineup?

I avoid basing criticism of the manager solely on the performance of the players. Some on this board do that regularly and I don't agree. But these 2 decisions defy all baseball logic. Worries me come playoff time.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    It never fails, something doesn't go right...blame Dusty!!!! Something goes right...it's in spite of Dusty. For the Dusty haters, you better get used to him being around because he's probly gonna get extended...and rightfully so!!!
    Ok, if you don't think Dusty was wrong last night, then you tell me how you can defend those 2 decisions. Tell me what I'm missing?

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Ok, if you don't think Dusty was wrong last night, then you tell me how you can defend those 2 decisions. Tell me what I'm missing?
    To me it's a 1 game deal having those guys bat in the lineup like that. It doesn't happen often. I said in another thread that to to me you rest your guys against teams like the Phillies who aren't in the division and then come rested for the Cardinals. It's the Cards who are chasing us, not the Phillies. As for the pitching moves, I didn't catch the end of the game, so I can't comment on that. It's just frustrating that we are having the best season we have had in forever and people do nothing but complain, Im not saying you're that guy, but when thats all you see after a loss its crazy to me.

I'm guessing Dusty didn't want Marshall to throw more so that he could be available tonight in a more important game against the Cardinals. This loss was on the players.

Runner on 3rd, no outs; I don't care how bad you are, you need to get that runner in. Valdez's at bat was inexcusably horrible. Lecure should have been able to get the job done. He was facing the bottom of the order and should have been able to hold the lead. Last night was frustrating, but 2-2 against Halladay, Lee, Worley and Hamels is nothing to complain about

Before this series we all were going to be happy with 1 win out of 4 games. We took 2. Thursdays game? Dusty gave key guys the night off, try your best, and we almost won. Phillies are out of contention, so get people rest for when the rising Cards come to town. Dusty bashers have a narrow single-game scope and poop all over games like last night. Dusty has a 162+ game scope. Everyone please relax.

Lefty Marshall came out because after Howard and Brown batted, who are both lefties, came Marberry, Kratz, and Rollins, righties (Rollins bats switch). When broken down, it's a move that is hard to argue with. With one out and a man on base with at least 2 righties to approach the plate, you go with righty LeCure. This whole series had a playoff feel, and Dusty managed accordingly, minus the rest to Phillips and Rolen.

We lost, it sucks, because the game was winable. Even with a lineup that made turned most people into negative nancys. Although we were only charged one error, there were multiple plays and at bats that Dusty had nothing to do with that didn't help our cause.

Watch the game, enjoy the season, root for the Reds.

I can't believe they got out of the bases-loaded, no-out ninth inning. I figured they were toast and went to bed.

One look at the box score is all I need to understand that.

With both Valdez and Cairo in the lineup, Hanigan bats 8th! Result: Hanigan gets walked 3 times!Still the weak lineup managed to score 3 runs against Hamel. But... Dusty mismanages the bullpen. On a night when Chapman and Broxton are both unavailable and he's shorthanded, Dusty decides to pull Marshall out early. He was pitching well. The last hitter got the bat on a very good pitch and found a hole in the infield. Why pull Marshall, you're best available reliever, in a close game that could go extra innings when you don't have Broxton or Chapman waiting to clean up!!!
    Are you trying to say that it's bad that batting 8th gets him walks? I'm not sure where you're going with that.

Dusty obviously didn't manage last night as a must win game, because it wasn't. These next 3 count for 2 against the 2nd place team in the division and he wanted guys to have rest. We're in the middle of 34 games in 34 days, do you guys really want him to burn players out in August??

And Broxton wasn't unavailable, he was our closer last night. When he pulled Marshall it was to go with a righty vs. righty matchup. Two outs from getting to the 9th with the lead, if he leaves Marshall in to face a righty you guys blast him for that.

I think a lot of us hate Hanigan 8th, but Dusty's belief is that clearing the pitchers spot in the order is really important. He likes Hanigan there because it means our pitcher won't lead off innings too often. The real problem was Cairo and Valdez being unable to hit a ball hard.

Bottom line, we split in Philly and have a big lead with with 2nd place team coming to town tonight. Phillips got some rest, Rolen got some rest, and Chapman got some rest. If Lecure doesn't screw it up we win that game...but of course, Dusty was the one who gave up that 8th inning run lol.

I think every game should be played as a must win until the day the division is clinched. If we come up one game short at the end of year, I will be irked! I've been waiting 22 years to get back to a WS. I've got more time invested in this team the Dusty has.
    Last edited by jback76; 08-24-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Neither Broxton or Chapman were unavailable.

This loss dropped us to (wait for it) 10-3 in our last thirteen. This is a game played where Cueto gets into tough situations, throws over 100 pitches in 5 1/3, no Votto, Phillips or Rolen and we take Cole Hamels and the Phillies into extra innings and lose by one.

Yeah, tear the roof off because it's OVER! Fire Dusty, send Valdez to Alaska and shoot Cario in the face. It's late August and we're only leading our division by 7 games. Missing the playoffs at this point would be a historic collapse. Get over it. One game. 0.6% of the Reds' season.

Tired of the "if's." You aren't the manager, you don't have a say. Sit back and ENJOY the best season in YEARS. No, I don't agree with everything that is done on the field, but griping about stupid $%^& you can't control is simply a waste of data storage on the internet. Grab a beer, sit in your Lazy Boy and hopefully we'll rip ten in a row off for the second time this year so I don't have to read this crap.

:rant over:

Go Reds!
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

Turn Off Ads?