Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marty on the outfield

Marty on the outfield

Said on during the 5th that when vottos back Bruce needs to go to center, ludwick to right, and Frazier to left. Completely agree. Said its sad the way the season is going for Stubbs

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marty on the outfield

Doesn't matter, Dusty would never do this, he has already said so. Same logic as to why Hanigan bats 8th...

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matt85webb View Post
    Said on during the 5th that when vottos back Bruce needs to go to center, ludwick to right, and Frazier to left. Completely agree. Said its sad the way the season is going for Stubbs
    it is the 4th straight year that Stubbs' BA has declined ---
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

As pitiful as Stubbs has been offensively, I don't see it happening. Bruce is too slow to play a good CF, imo. But, it may be the only way to keep Frazier in the lineup regularly. I guess it's gonna come down to what's more important: defense (w/Stubbs) or offense(w/Frazier). Or another way: Are the Reds better w/out Rolen's defense and occasional outbursts of offense? I don't see Dusty doing that. But, Marty and Brantley are a lot closer to the situation than most of us. They must have heard something.

i think it can work at home

EMAW

If this would happen, the Reds get weaker defensively at all 3 outfield spots

It's along the lines of what should be at least tried. Drew is a -4 runs saved this year in center and a -8 last season, while Bruce was actually a +3 back in 08 when he got time in center. It sure will be nice to get Votto back at 1st as he at +5 there in his limited time while Todd is already -6.

I guess people forget defense is part of the game

We are 43-5 when Stubbs scores. He's a streaky player it is what it is but if he's on he's so ridiculously valuable. If Stubbs gets hot around playoff time we are going to be damn tough to beat. Big if, but it's not like he's never been hot before. Like I said streaky.
    Last edited by PumpFak3First; 08-27-2012 at 12:39 AM.

Part of the reason we have a good record when he scores is because he has a terrible OBP so when he actually gets on and in its a bonus. When he had a much higher OBP on 2011 we lost tons of games.

Another factor is the guys who replace him in center all are bad as well with the .684 from Valdez the highest of the 4 guys we used in CF with none of them having the same speed. The reaming reasons are we have far better pitching and we are scoring less runs overall.

Putting a .850+ OPS in center along with Votto being back at first makes us better offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpFak3First View Post

We are 43-5 when Stubbs scores. He's a streaky player it is what it is but if he's on he's so ridiculously valuable. If Stubbs gets hot around playoff time we are going to be damn tough to beat. Big if, but it's not like he's never been hot before. Like I said streaky.
    43-6

If?

He'll be facing the best of the best pitching and Cincy will be heavily scouted in Sept. He may get hot.....but not something to really bet on.

I'm not sure he's caught 10 balls all year that Bruce wouldn't have....8 being gappers....but there have been a few Bruce would've caught diving that Stubbs flailed at.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    Part of the reason we have a good record when he scores is because he has a terrible OBP so when he actually gets on and in its a bonus. When he had a much higher OBP on 2011 we lost tons of games.

Another factor is the guys who replace him in center all are bad as well with the .684 from Valdez the highest of the 4 guys we used in CF with none of them having the same speed. The reaming reasons are we have far better pitching and we are scoring less runs overall.

Putting a .850+ OPS in center along with Votto being back at first makes us better offensively.
    Heisey is at .720

You know, we hear a lot about Stubbs defense and I'm sure with his speed he gets to some balls others wouldn't reach. But I've never seen him lay out for a catch and I was really disappointed with the way he deferred to Ludwick in Philadelphia on the sac fly that tied the last game in the 8th. I'm thinking sometimes he's given a little too much credit on defense.
    "Me carrying a briefcase is like a hotdog wearing earrings." Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by PumpFak3First View Post

I think the 43-5 record may just be an indication of what happens with any team when a player at to top of the order gets on base not actually a product of how important that individual player is to the team. Generally when the top of the order gets on base the team scores more runs and wins more. That's why OBP is so important at the top of the order. It's kinda like saying when the quarterback throws touchdown passes the team has a better chance of winning.
    "Me carrying a briefcase is like a hotdog wearing earrings." Sparky Anderson

Dustyball says NO via Hal McCoy

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...iers_fut.html/
    FANS, OF COURSE, are worried about what happens with Todd Frazier when Votto comes back. Baker readily answered it. And one of reports that Jay Bruce would move to center and Todd Frazier would play right, is unfounded. “I was asked that and I said, “No way,” said Baker.

“I don’t know about every day, but Frazier is going to play,” said Baker. “But Scott Rolen (third base) knows the way. Ryan Ludwick (left field) knows the way. Jay Bruce is doing his thing. And Frazier can’t play center field.

“Everybody plays on our team and it is a matter of who I play on THAT day,” Baker added. “Nothing against Todd Frazier, but he ain’t never been down the stretch. Rolen has been down the stretch and Ludwick has been down the stretch — big-time for both. More than anybody on this team. Down the stretch is something. I don’t want no controversy on my lineups with Frazier, but we’ll play who is most suited to play down the stretch.”
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...iers_fut.html/

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    It's comments like "Rolen has been down the stretch..." that really make me wonder if the front office is that smart in wanting Baker back. Geez.
    That Joey Votto is some kind of Man Candy!

"For them to boo me like that, it lets me know they dream about me at night. -- Brandon Phillips on Cards fans.

Turn Off Ads?