Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Minor Leaguer has contract voided twice, but still signs for $1.5M

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Minor Leaguer has contract voided twice, but still signs for $1.5M

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...eal-with-cubs/

This is an incredibly interesting story. Juan Carlos Paniagua originally signed with the DBacks for a mere $17,000 back in 2009. Of course he was using the name Juan Carlos Callado at the time. MLB suspended him and voided the contract after 2010. He then came clean about his name, served his suspension and then signed with the Yankees under the name Juan Carlos Paniagua, born 4-4-90, the same date of birth on his original contract with the DBacks. The Yankees gave him $1.1M to sign this time. MLB then voided that contract for "falsified documents". He once against served a year suspension. Three days ago he signed with the Cubs, under the same name and the same birth date as he had with the Yankees, for $1.5M this time. MLB has approved the contract, but with the definition that his age is unknown.

If I were the Yankees, I would be awfully upset over this situation. While we are talking about a guy who is 22 and has thrown 2 innings in the US, he has a pretty good arm (up to 98 in the past, sitting 93-95 right now).

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Not interesting. Just tired of this crap.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Re: Minor Leaguer has contract voided twice, but still signs for $1.5M

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Not interesting. Just tired of this crap.
    What crap?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What crap?
    Fausto Roberto Carmona Hernandez and the like. Handlers that are liars and cheats or encourage lying and cheating and making a fool out of MLB. I want this and PEDs out of the game and lifetime bans and deportation for violations. Its tiring and eats up the airwaves when we should be talking pennant races and celebrating our game. Rant over. Nothing against you for reporting it. Not trying to shoot the messenger.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Re: Minor Leaguer has contract voided twice, but still signs for $1.5M

It happens for a reason though. Unlike in America where if you are 19-22, teams will still look at you if you have talent, in LA, they typically won't. So if you are a late bloomer, but actually skilled, you may never get your chance even if you deserve it simply because you were able to figure out your skills at 19 rather than 15.

MLB teams are at fault for it as well for how they have played the game in LA countries when it comes to signing talent.

Turn Off Ads?