Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Defining moment for Homer

Defining moment for Homer

It is debatable how important Sunday's game is against the Cardinals. Saturday's ballgame was mandatory in that the Reds could not afford to have St. Louis sweep this series and give them reason to believe that they could take the Central. But, for Homer Bailey, beating Wainright in a game that would essentially cripple the Cardinals' chances of catching us would be the seminal moment in his young career. At least, I would have to think so...

There are a couple of things that I like about the matchup. First, after a string of bad starts, Homer was excellent in his last start against the Phillies. It almost seems he got a second wind, and his stuff was so good that night that he did not seem to be laboring physically from all the logged innings at all.

Second, while Wainright has really started to string together a series of good starts to prove he is recovered from TJ surgery, you have to wonder how much of a toll the workload may have on him at this point. All one has to do is look at how Johann Santanna self-destructed after his no-hitter, or to how poor AJ Burnett has been since shutting down the Reds a couple of weeks ago, to understand how much of a ripple effect these complete game efforts can have on a starting pitcher in today's game. It would not surprise me at all if we will not get the superlative version of Wainright on Sunday.

But, even if we do, I am most excited about what Homer might do. This is his time to shine, if he is ever going to. A win on Sunday may not determine the Reds' fate for the remainder of the season, but it could go a LONG way to determine the Reds' pitching options in the postseason. Personally, I can't wait to see what Bailey brings to the party Sunday.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Defining moment for Homer

I believe Homer is capable of getting it done but my biggest fear is Dusty putting Valdez and Cairo in the lineup against Wainright today.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

That is a legitimate concern. Dusty seems to have a schedule for his lineups that is oblivious to the importance of the games, and that drives a lot of us crazy. Logically, you would think he would be able to manage off days for certain guys better, and make better in-game decisions. But, at the same time, I do believe that people underestimate his psychological influence on this ballclub. I am as big a critic of Dusty as anybody, but I have also come to realize that these guys would run through a brick wall for him. Contrast that with Boston Red Sox players, who would prefer to bludgeon their manager's brains against a brick wall...

I believe that the Reds will win today even if Cairo and Valdez are playing, so long as Homer realizes his destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by vic715 View Post
    I believe Homer is capable of getting it done but my biggest fear is Dusty putting Valdez and Cairo in the lineup against Wainright today.
    I'm afraid of that exact thing. And you can get Freese and Molina will be playing today.

Homer already had a defining moment. He did his job against the Phillies the night after they pounded our staff. That was a very important positive performance for him.

Today's game is gravy, we only needed one in this series. In the big picture, if we're going to lose a 6 game lead in the last month, we're probably going to lose an 8 game lead as well.

Of course, I always hate losing to the smug Birds. Maybe Wainwright won't have his stuff today.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Phhhl View Post
    That is a legitimate concern. Dusty seems to have a schedule for his lineups that is oblivious to the importance of the games, and that drives a lot of us crazy. Logically, you would think he would be able to manage off days for certain guys better, and make better in-game decisions. But, at the same time, I do believe that people underestimate his psychological influence on this ballclub. I am as big a critic of Dusty as anybody, but I have also come to realize that these guys would run through a brick wall for him. Contrast that with Boston Red Sox players, who would prefer to bludgeon their manager's brains against a brick wall...

I believe that the Reds will win today even if Cairo and Valdez are playing, so long as Homer realizes his destiny.
    I'm hoping Rolen gets his rest today because the Reds activate Votto and move Frazier to 3B. The Reds usually don't do stuff like this in the middle of a series for some reason, but I'm hoping anyway.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think you'll see changes in the lineup today, but it won't be Rolen/Cario/Valdez in the lineup....

If there are any changes, you'll see Heisey getting the start in CF.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Lineup was just posted, and confirmed.

Lineup the same, Heisey in CF for Stubbs.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203 View Post
    Lineup was just posted, and confirmed.

Lineup the same, Heisey in CF for Stubbs.
    Good lineup - has the potential to get to Wainwright and deliver runs the way they did against Lynn and Garcia. Just need Homer to be on his game.

Stubbs needed the break - he looked so frustrated and down on hiimself in the dugout. A couple of days rest to refocus might be just what he needs - plus his speed as a pinch runner could come in handy if a games is tight.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

I think Dusty understands that some of his player "rest" days may seem odd to the fans. But he doesn't seem to feel that most individual games are critical. Dusty manages for the long haul and has enough confidence in his bench to substitute anyone most days.

If I were a manager I would micromanage these off days much more, but it's a matter of style, and it's hard to say the replacements have really cost the Reds overall.

Dusty did seem to target this series as important. He rested Rolen and Phillips on Thursday. He's playing Rolen all three days. I'd guess Scott will sit in Arizona tomorrow, even against the tough lefty, Miley.

As for Homer, after watching lately, I've concluded that Homer and Leake are two talented pitchers who are just not consistent at this point. So you never know what you will get. But hopefully today Homer will be on after looking good last time.

Wainright has been tough lately, but the pressure should be relieved for the Reds after yesterday. They have Chapman well rested, which could come into play. Hoping it's a victory.

I like our chances today. Whatever change Homer made mechanically worked wonders against the Phillies. His stuff was great, and it was down, down, down. I think he's going to have a big game today.

If needed, I'd pitch Chapman 1+ innings today...

If Homer goes 7.... Let Chapman finish out the 8 and 9 today....

Jockstocks Homepage

Alright............. I like it. An A lineup for today. Bailey has pitched well against the Cards. Let's kick the you know what out of Wainwright today and send the Cards outta here in style.

Nice start for Homer. 1-2-3.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

He looks terrible here in the third inning. Nearly walked Wainwright but gave up a clean single to him. One out so far and a run in.

If this is his defining moment, I don't like the definition he's making so far.

Turn Off Ads?