Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with Scott Rolen?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

What to do with Scott Rolen?

Geez. Batting below his weight headed toward the middle of May.

Who out there thinks this Reds team is better than the Cardinals right now?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What to do with Scott Rolen?

Even thought he's no more than a solid defensive replacement this year with the Reds, hes not going to go anywhere IMO. As long as hes healthy he will start his 120 games or so. Id like to see Frazier play more. He seems to be better offensively than Ludwick and def. Rolen
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The Reds seem to have some obvious holes that they're unwilling to fix/replace. It will most likely bite them in the butt.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    The Reds seem to have some obvious holes that they're unwilling to fix/replace. It will most likely bite them in the butt.
    And that is why you don't sign guys past 35. You pay them like they are still 29, then can't do anything with them and have to play them when they aren't good.

Rolens a possible hall of famer. He's gonna play 120 games or so with Frazier giving him some relief.The dusty is not gonna disrespect him by not playing him.

As soon as we pick up a left fielder(and I believe we will. At least we better)

Scott will be moved down in the line up, so his slow bat will not be so obvious (as in hitting 5 and leaving a small army on the base paths)
    I'am a Rocker thro and thro!Lynyrd Skynyrd,Def lep,Van Halen,not Van Hager!

This situation's getting ugly. Rolen hasn't caught up to any kind of fastball since June of 2010. With this struggling offense, that black hole at third base just becomes more glaring.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And that is why you don't sign guys past 35. You pay them like they are still 29, then can't do anything with them and have to play them when they aren't good.
    You'll likely have trouble attracting premier players with that philosophy as well.

In an ideal world, they'd let Frazier play every other day for the next two months to see if he can be an everyday player. If he can, great. If he can't, see of the Sox will cover Youkilis' salary and bring him home at the deadline.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Carlos Beltran just turned 35 and he's raking. Maybe as a general rule that applies, but you still have to look case by case.

I think Rolen is still better than his current production, I'm sure he's pressing a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    In an ideal world, they'd let Frazier play every other day for the next two months to see if he can be an everyday player. If he can, great. If he can't, see of the Sox will cover Youkilis' salary and bring him home at the deadline.
    My sentiments exactly. And tell Rolen he can coach here as long as he wants after he retires at the end of the year.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    This situation's getting ugly. Rolen hasn't caught up to any kind of fastball since June of 2010. With this struggling offense, that black hole at third base just becomes more glaring.
    Even before that. If you look at those games in early 2010, he was feasting off breaking balls. The league got wise and began to feed him mostly heat.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by ddrone View Post
    Rolens a possible hall of famer. He's gonna play 120 games or so with Frazier giving him some relief.The dusty is not gonna disrespect him by not playing him.

As soon as we pick up a left fielder(and I believe we will. At least we better)

Scott will be moved down in the line up, so his slow bat will not be so obvious (as in hitting 5 and leaving a small army on the base paths)
    Yeah, while I might say it a bit differently, I basically agree with this.

Rolen will be a Red all year, will play his share of games, will field his position, but isn't going to be a big positive offensively. Cairo and Frazier can play third, presumably they will get some games in there, and hopefully on balance the position will provide some offense.

But Heisey and Ludwick are not Scott Rolen. Nor do they have the potential of Drew Stubbs. So of all the "troubled" positions offensively, LF is the one crying out for a new player.

The Reds OBP against righties is very poor. They should look for a left fielder who can get on base against righties. Doesn't have to be a super star, doesn't have to have big power. IMO should be left handed or a switch hitter. But most critically, somebody with good OBP skills against RHP.

Hopefully Rolen, Cairo, and Frazier will provide some third base production as the year goes on, I don't see the position changing hands this season.

.197 BABIP. That does not lineup with his LD or contact rate. He won't be OPSing .900 again, but he should end up in the .700-.750 range, which, with his defense, will be fine.

He had a bad night last night, but for the past few weeks, he's been hitting the ball well, just into gloves.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

If I'm in charge, he becomes a PH/defensive replacement. If he doesn't like it he gets his release. There is a 0 percent chance of any of that happening

I've only seen him hit a couple times this year and I didn't think he looked slow. In fact, I thought he really tagged a couple, just directly at someone. It's hard to believe that Walt, Dusty and Rolen are not aware that he's close to the end and he seems to me like the kind of guy who is smart enough to know he should only be in the lineup as long as he's useful. Obviously, I don't know that for sure, but he has always struck me as having a very astute and wise state of mind about the game and it seems to me that he probably knows what the situation is. Clearly, he's done loads for this team by being around and it would be great to see him contribute on the field, but having him around as a mentor, teaching guys about maintaining a winning mindset is very important. Some of the players have even said as much, if I remember correctly.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?