Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Votto = Batting Champion?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Votto = Batting Champion?

With McCutchen cooling off and Cabrera suspended, Joey has a shot at the batting title if he can get off the DL soon. At .342 he'd be a close third and would have to raise his average since Cabrera will end at .3456.

He currently has 370 PAs, needing 502 to qualify. If he starts playing again this week, he could get into up to 33 games, but let's say 30 to be safe.
    He would need 4.4 PA/game to make it.

Feasible? I know that the batting title isn't what it used to be, but it would be nice for Joey to win it and I'm sure MLB would prefer that he or McCutchen win it over Cabrera.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto = Batting Champion?

I think he won't garner enough plate appearances. 4.4 a game from here on out with him needing off days to rest seems like a bridge too far...

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Well he has 370 in 86 games, which makes for 4.3/gm (including one or two PH appearances, not sure). He'd have to come back this week, for sure.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

If you don't get enough PA, you can still win the title. You just give the guy 0-fers up to the qualification figure. Melky could still very well win it.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I think the commissioner, should make sure his stats are frozen. You don't get fake at bats to qualify when you are suspended. It isnt fair to the "clean" players.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I'm sure MLB would prefer that he or McCutchen win it over Cabrera.
    It might not be Votto but I think he's got a better shot than Melky considering how 'the powers in charge' might feel about it.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I think the commissioner, should make sure his stats are frozen. You don't get fake at bats to qualify when you are suspended. It isnt fair to the "clean" players.
    The argument should then be whether his season should either count or not. Everyone has access to the "fake" AB's, so no sense complaining that he gets them when your real issue probably is simply the fact that his stats count at all.

I'm sure Votto will be good when he comes back but do you all see him being as good as he was in the beginning of the year? I think he's going to take time to get back to where he was early in this season, esp. when the injury is a lower body injury.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I'm sure Votto will be good when he comes back but do you all see him being as good as he was in the beginning of the year? I think he's going to take time to get back to where he was early in this season, esp. when the injury is a lower body injury.
    I think it'll take him 7-8 games to get locked in, but as careful as they've been getting him ready to play on what is traditionally a relatively minor injury, I can't imagine he'll be hampered by that knee at all. It's a matter of how long it takes him to start picking up the ball like we know he can.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

The thing about Joey is that his slumps are usually very short. He may strike out a few times over the course of a few games, but even then he's still taking a lot of walks. And before long he's locked in again hitting singles and doubles.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

With the team doing so well without Joey, maybe we should trade him this offseason while his value is still high.

Just kidding.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Turn Off Ads?