Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 8/26/12 - Reds vs Cards

Re: 8/26/12 - Reds vs Cards

Ludwick didn't miss that by much at all.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Oh.... Brother!
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I did read that once, and I appreciate you linking it as I wanted to save it anyhow.

But what amuses me is that what they found should have been common sense to begin with. It's the same reason why line drives fall into the field of play for hits more than grounders and why grounders fall more than fly balls. So one should expect better contact is going to equal more hits, even comparing grounders to other grounders.
    It's always driven me nuts how people view BABIP and luck as synonymous.

Yes, luck certainly can play a role when the same or similar pitchers have variations in results with no obvious difference in their pitching.

But BABIP and luck are not equivalent. I look forward to reading that article.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Hanigan nails the runner at 2nd.
    Bailey kept him close with a couple of pickoff attempts and then he threw a fastball up and away...Hanny was standing up when he caught it and made a perfect throw. Nice teamwork!

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Reds hitters need to step out of the box a bit more today... Waino is on a mission... time to start breaking up the routine....
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Bruce strikes out swinging.

Frazier is hit by the pitch

Frazier plunked
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Frazier is hit by the pitch
    Payback for hitting Freese on Friday?
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Rolen grounds into a FC. 3-0 Cards after 5.

Not a great at-bat by Scotty.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    It's always driven me nuts how people view BABIP and luck as synonymous.

Yes, luck certainly can play a role when the same or similar pitchers have variations in results with no obvious difference in their pitching.

But BABIP and luck are not equivalent. I look forward to reading that article.
    What's worse is that we know now that xBABIP better correlates to actual BABIP than the standard .300 expectation. And that is influenced by hit type.

I think BABIP has become a religion for some, but the truth is we're past that being a hard-and-fast rule like it was first suspected several years ago when it started gaining popularity. It's still somewhat telling when you have a large variance, but taking it to the extreme and applying it during the course of a game with no consideration of any other circumstances is doing the stat a disservice.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I was just thinking that too. The timing gives some credence to it, given there were two outs and no one on base. If you're going to do it, that's the best time to do so.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Nah, it was just up and in and Todd's unusual stance makes it hard for him to get out of the way...he got it on the meat of his shoulder.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Feel like I've seen Heisey do that far too many times this year.

Turn Off Ads?