Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Anyone subscribe to Hulu+ ?

  1. #1
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,276

    Anyone subscribe to Hulu+ ?

    Thinking about subscribing. Pros? Cons?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,256

    Re: Anyone subscribe to Hulu+ ?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Thinking about subscribing. Pros? Cons?
    Pros: A lot of TV shows come out with new episodes not long after they air.
    Cons: Even though it's a subscription service, you still have to sit through ads. Short ones, but ads just the same.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  4. #3
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,276

    Re: Anyone subscribe to Hulu+ ?

    I decided to give it a go, but after going through their catalog, it looks like I will be canceling after a month.

    The catalog looks large, until you realize that many are partial series, some which aren't even starting at season 1.

    There are several full series though that will be worth the month payment, but I figure I will get through them in a month.

  5. #4
    The rest is drama. marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the woods, with a shovel
    Posts
    5,150

    Re: Anyone subscribe to Hulu+ ?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I decided to give it a go, but after going through their catalog, it looks like I will be canceling after a month.

    The catalog looks large, until you realize that many are partial series, some which aren't even starting at season 1.

    There are several full series though that will be worth the month payment, but I figure I will get through them in a month.
    That doesn't sound good. I've been thinking about subriscribing, but maybe not.

  6. #5
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,276

    Re: Anyone subscribe to Hulu+ ?

    Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    That doesn't sound good. I've been thinking about subriscribing, but maybe not.
    You do get a free week, but then they start charging you monthly. At the very least you could give them a try and cancel before that week is up if you don't like what you see.

  7. #6
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,871

    Re: Anyone subscribe to Hulu+ ?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You do get a free week, but then they start charging you monthly. At the very least you could give them a try and cancel before that week is up if you don't like what you see.
    I tried it and it didn't do much for me.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  8. #7
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,959

    Re: Anyone subscribe to Hulu+ ?

    Selection is weak, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  9. #8
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,276

    Re: Anyone subscribe to Hulu+ ?

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Selection is weak, IMO.
    Incredibly. I mean, I watch A LOT of television. A lot. Being self employed for so long and working at home, I often would sit around and watch tv while working, so I have already seen a lot (I also struggle to find things on Netflix that I haven't seen that I want to see). But my current hulu queue has 1 thing on it: Community. There were a few other shows I wanted to check out, but of course I am not going to start in the middle of a series since they weren't carrying the first season.

    Netflix has 11 seasons of Married with Children. Hulu+ has 1. Why are their subscription costs even remotely the same? I honestly don't understand how they have a working business model that turns profit. I don't see how anyone actually pays for this for more than a month or two.

  10. #9
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,652

    Re: Anyone subscribe to Hulu+ ?

    Hulu's advantage is that they get shows that are airing on the networks right now, not just past seasons.
    Go Gators!

  11. #10
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,302

    Re: Anyone subscribe to Hulu+ ?

    I got it to replace my cable/directv. Between that, netflix and mlb.com, I watch everything I want to watch, for a fraction of the cost, basically $30 a month. If I had directv or cable, I wouldn't have much need for hulu+.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  12. #11
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,276

    Re: Anyone subscribe to Hulu+ ?

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Hulu's advantage is that they get shows that are airing on the networks right now, not just past seasons.
    Except they don't always do that. There are quite a few shows that I wanted to catch up on this season of that are quite a few episodes behind where they are on tv, some up to a month and a half behind.

    There are different waiting periods for shows, some are a day behind, some are 8 days behind and some are just randomly behind or have stopped being updated.

  13. #12
    Member medford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,083

    Re: Anyone subscribe to Hulu+ ?

    Question about netflix streaming. Lets say I wanted to start watching Sons of Anarchy (which I do at some point), is it safe to assume I could start on season 1 at any point and watch up to the point that they have released to DVD? If a show (or movie) comes out on DVD on a tuesday, is it available to start watching on netflix that night?

    What about premium station shows like HBO or Showtime?

  14. #13
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,276

    Re: Anyone subscribe to Hulu+ ?

    Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Question about netflix streaming. Lets say I wanted to start watching Sons of Anarchy (which I do at some point), is it safe to assume I could start on season 1 at any point and watch up to the point that they have released to DVD? If a show (or movie) comes out on DVD on a tuesday, is it available to start watching on netflix that night?

    What about premium station shows like HBO or Showtime?
    I don't know specifically how it all works, but no, not all shows go up to the point in which they are out on DVD. And no, not every movie out on DVD goes straight to Netflix. In fact, it is happening less and less often because the movie companies still want you to buy it on PPV or buy the DVD, where they make a much larger margin of profit.

  15. #14
    Reds Slacker '07 RedsMan3203's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,784

    Re: Anyone subscribe to Hulu+ ?

    Netflix was raellly nice to start... I watched hours upon hours of shows from season 1 to current seasons.... Then, it just stopped working (Unable to connect) and I gave up... I tried for 3 or 4 months without any luck....

    My TV/Home theater system would connect to everything else and stream, but not to Netflix.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

    Jockstocks Homepage

    Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

  16. #15
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,276

    Re: Anyone subscribe to Hulu+ ?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203 View Post
    Netflix was raellly nice to start... I watched hours upon hours of shows from season 1 to current seasons.... Then, it just stopped working (Unable to connect) and I gave up... I tried for 3 or 4 months without any luck....

    My TV/Home theater system would connect to everything else and stream, but not to Netflix.
    Did you ever contact them?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25