Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Vin Scully to be back in 2015 & 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Re: Vin Scully to return in 2013

The Dodgers paid for him to be cloned.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

That's great news!. He's still one of the best.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Great news! It will be a sad day for me when he hangs it up for good.....and that is from a Dodger hater from way back.
    Let's play two!!!

Haunted by walks

I wish there was someone out there who was aspiring to be the next one.

This is good news! I hope he goes to 100. Same with Marty. As much as he is maligned here, there is no one on the horizon who compares ( not that Marty is in the same league, because he's not). Just like many others, I could listen to Vin and Marty all day long. The newer guys, including our own, not so much. Maybe I'm old. No doubt I am. But the iconic voices will soon be gone.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Vin Scully could make a paint drying contest interesting. I love the way he calls a game and hope he continues for many years to come.

Baseball's Dorian Grey, I bet there is a painting of him in the basement at Dodger Stadium.

http://sabr.org/research/vin-scully-...odgers-history

Dodgers fans picked up the knack of bringing their transistor radios, as revolutionary in their day as when iPhones were introduced, to the cavernous Memorial Coliseum almost immediately. East Coast critics of the transplanted team, ever ready to lambaste the Hollywood crowds, claimed the pocket radios were proof the fans were so genuinely ignorant of the sport that the game had to be explained to them as they watched. No doubt there was some truth to this assertion, for there were obviously those in attendance who knew little about baseball. What such commentators conveniently ignored, of course, was that a high caliber of baseball in the form of the Pacific Coast League had long been played in Southern California.

There was another reason fans felt compelled to bring their portable radios to the ballpark: Vin Scully instantly captivated the Southland. Then, as now, his Irish lilt made baseball what it was supposed to be entertaining. It was natural for Angelenos to wonder beyond the mere statistics: just who were these guys?

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/201...caster-profile

The sunsets over Dodger Stadium and Chavez Ravine are breathtakingly colorful. They're beautiful, but not always easy to describe.

"It's a cotton candy sky with a canopy of blue. It looks good enough to eat."

Well, I guess it's easier for some of us.

On a typical night at Dodger Stadium, Vin Scully sits in the booth that's named after him, perched on the chair he calls home for approximately 81 games a season. He has two media guides, home and away. Both are stuffed with index cards on which Scully has written notes on the stories he's researched, stories of greater depth, insight, and humor than the ones that come pre-printed in the team-authored books. His scorebook sits front and center in a custom-leather binder. He has another book off to the side containing key stats and more index cards, all of which are also prepared by Scully himself.

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-03-2014),Joseph (06-02-2014),Larkin Fan (06-03-2014),marcshoe (06-02-2014),Number_Fourteen (06-02-2014),PepperJack (06-02-2014),Tom Servo (06-02-2014),WVRedsFan (06-02-2014)

Nowadays, each time I hear "It's tiiime for Dodger baseball!" at the Ravine in person, I really soak up the moment, knowing Vin's magic will not continue forever.

A shame he's not called a Series in years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Some of you just aren't cut out to follow baseball. You can't live and die second-guessing every decision for 162 games

Worth The Wait

Not sure anyone has ever done their job as well as Vin does his.

Vin has always had the pulse of the baseball fan. So many people think that baseball has dipped in popularity because it can't keep up with the pace of society. Therefore, teams and individuals try to conform the game to other aspects of our lives-- like walk up music, fancy intro videos, dugout dancers, etc. But really, people like baseball because it is contrary to those things. People like the throwback feel of a baseball game.

The people that make these decisions should be more aware. Vin is as popular now as ever, probably more so now. There is a reason for that. He gives fans what they want. He has spent a lifetime deflecting the spotlight away from himself and onto the game, the players, and the fans. Yet, HE is the only announcer I seek out specifically. Funny how that works.

13. Likes:

Always Red (06-05-2014),Bob Borkowski (11-30-2015),Number_Fourteen (06-03-2014),remdog (08-31-2015),Tom Servo (06-03-2014),Tony Cloninger (07-30-2014)

Once again, one of the benefits of the At Bat app on iPhone (and android as well as Blackberry) is the ability to listen to these guys when I want. Unfortunately, Vin doesn't do radio anymore, I think. Regardless, I get him on the Dodger TV games at home and it's like listening to a symphony written by a master.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Once again, one of the benefits of the At Bat app on iPhone (and android as well as Blackberry) is the ability to listen to these guys when I want. Unfortunately, Vin doesn't do radio anymore, I think. Regardless, I get him on the Dodger TV games at home and it's like listening to a symphony written by a master.
    He doesn't do the first few innings on radio and TV both anymore? He did last year because I listened to him once while mowing.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I thought he did the first 3 innings in radio. You forgot to mention SiriusXM as another source for baseball.

http://www.siriusxm.com/servlet/Sate...=SXM%2FWrapper
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Vin Scully will be back in 2015. Great news for all baseball fans! I don't know how to change the title of the thread to reflect this news.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb
    Reds Fan Since 1971

18. Likes:

Chip R (07-30-2014),Tom Servo (07-30-2014)

Turn Off Ads?