Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Vin Scully to be back in 2015 & 2016

Re: Vin Scully to return in 2013

On some other teams board a few people complained about him that he talked too much and they heard the information he stated before.

This is the 2nd game of the series...... and of course he repeats some things, because sometimes people do not listen to every game.

What they seemed to not understand was that Vin made his bones calling games on the radio, where you have to describe a lot of what is going on. Very detailed, like painting a portrait with your words about the action happening on the field. His method of describing what is going on is basically 2nd to nobody. Vin and Dick Enberg were always my favorites growing up. Ross Porter for the use of stats was 3rd.
    I never got a chance to hear Hoyt and Marty and Joe in their prime.

The Dodgers barely broadcast 40 games....until the 70's and never a home game until well into the 90's, although the occasional game would be shown like in 1978 against the Reds....which was exciting to finally see.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I suspect he'll be doing games as one of those Futurama preserved head things.

He absolutely repeats the same information over and over in a series, but I really don't even care. As long as he is calling balls and strikes, he could read read 'War and Peace' in between pitches and it would still be great in my opinion.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

He's awesome, great news.
    Go Gators!

6. Likes:

Gallen5862 (07-30-2014)

Haunted by walks

Re: Vin Scully to return in 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    He absolutely repeats the same information over and over in a series, but I really don't even care. As long as he is calling balls and strikes, he could read read 'War and Peace' in between pitches and it would still be great in my opinion.
    His style can be parodied: "And now Jumbo Diaz, who was given that name by his grade school teacher because of the size of his ears ..."

But there's never been a more literate credit to the game. I still wish there was someone who was aspiring to that quality.

8. Likes:

remdog (08-31-2015),Tom Servo (07-30-2014)

Best sports news I've heard all week.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Here's a good article about how he goes about preparing for the season. He started in Feb. Its no wonder how good he has been all of these years. Most sportcasters could take a few tips from him.

http://www.foxsports.com/west/story/...s-games-031015
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Here's to "Deuces wild here, 2 on, 2 out, and a 2-2 count". Love it everytime I hear it.

Vin Scully will be back for year number 67.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/s...th-season-team
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Re: Vin Scully to be back in 2015 & 2016

Always good news.
    Go Gators!

I grew up hating the Dodgers, as an old NL West rival, but I have always loved listening to Vin Scully. I could listen to the man call a Cub Scouts pinewood derby race for hours and be just as happy. For years, I've listened to him (over the Reds announcers) when the Dodgers play my team. He's the greatest baseball announcer of my lifetime (if not all-time), and as long as he can do the job I am glad he will be there.
    Last edited by RedFanT; 08-30-2015 at 10:28 AM.
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and [the St. Louis Cardinals]."--Benjamin Disraeli

15. Likes:

Chip R (08-30-2015),remdog (08-31-2015)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Greatest call ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The media guide way, you don't get that when he announces vs the Padres/Giants/DBacks, mostly because he sees them a lot and has greater knowledge of their organization. Otherwise, it's a media guide reading. But even their radio guys do it, the other day the radio guys were reading off the places that the Reds had had spring training, which is a lot if you start in 1890, not many if you start in 1925

Turn Off Ads?