Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

Re: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

Is it just my impression or has Hamilton developed a problem getting caught/picked off stealing since being promoted to AA? What do you think is the answer? Just more coaching/experience? I'm thinking that they should coach him to be more judicious in picking and choosing when to steal. In other words I don't think he should be trying to steal 100 bases anymore. It seems to me that even if he becomes Drew Stubbs in CF tomorrow, he's still not ready to help the Reds until he improves his steal %..

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Is it just my impression or has Hamilton developed a problem getting caught/picked off stealing since being promoted to AA? What do you think is the answer? Just more coaching/experience? I'm thinking that they should coach him to be more judicious in picking and choosing when to steal. In other words I don't think he should be trying to steal 100 bases anymore. It seems to me that even if he becomes Drew Stubbs in CF tomorrow, he's still not ready to help the Reds until he improves his steal %..
    You start running into more veteran types of guys. So they probably do have better moves.

Lutz was the only Red to play on Monday. He had two singles in five at bats, and scored a run (w/no strikeouts).

But sometimes people learn through experience. Maybe he has to go throush such a stage in order to learn to be better. At least it is happening in the minors and this fall league (maybe these systems are serving their purpose?) instead of him coasting to the majors and learning there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

The only memorable play Hamilton had was running down a deep fly in right center, made the catch look really easy. Overall I thought he looked really good. He did get caught stealing, on a play I thought he looked safe...Gregorius looked smooth at short, outside of the error on the ball that went right thru the wickets. Even though Partch gave up a bomb, the Reds pitching was solid, especially Hayes, who I've never really paid much attention to, but he was very impressive.
    Thanks for the update -- very nice to hear Hamilton looks good so far.

Lutz with a double already.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Keith Law just Tweeted that Hamilton threw out a runner going to 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post

George Springer was on first with two outs when the next batter up singled. Springer had 32 steals during the season so he must have some speed. Hamilton gunned him down at third. That's encouraging.

Lutz with a double and a single. Hamilton a walk and a run scored. Gregorius one for two with a stolen base.

From former major leaguer Zach Day

@ctrent Billie Hamilton just walked, stole second, and scored from second on a come backer to the pitcher. Damn he's fast. #reds #AFL12
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Only in the fourth inning and Hamilton has walked twice, stolen second twice and scored twice. Lutz is 2 for 2, with a stolen base and two runs scored. Gregorius is 0 for 2.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Law also talked about Billy on the Baseball Today podcast today http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8515923 (around 35mins).

Rough transcription of what he said:
    ran a 3.78 from left side to 1b... that's insane
    made a great throw from cf to get a runner trying to go 1st to 3rd on single, threw a strike and showed some arm strength
    took a horrible read on a line drive to cf... broke the wrong way... got to it because of his speed but too late to make the play
    you can see he's raw
    I'd be shocked if they try to bring him north on opening day as a cf
    he's going to need another 50-60 games out there
    he's got the ability, showed some flashes, it's going to take time

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by treetops View Post
    Law also talked about Billy on the Baseball Today podcast today http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8515923 (around 35mins).

Rough transcription of what he said:
    None of that is all that surprising. Going to look brilliant at times and clueless others. Anyone who was thinking he would be ready before at earliest mid 2013 are dreaming, IMO. I know a lot of folks here dislike Law but he mentioned he's seen every AFL team multiple times so he's probably seen him quite a bit.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Josh Ravin game up a run yesterday, but his fastball sat between 97.4 MPH and 98.9 MPH in his inning of work.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I don't have espn insider, but if you do here's a bit on Hamilton today.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/...all-league-mlb

Turn Off Ads?