Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 192

Thread: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

  1. #151
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

    That steal of third is just sick. I love it.

    It won't happen at the start of the 2013 season of course, but thank god we know Billy Hamilton is the Reds' CF/leadoff hitter of the future. Good-bye Drew Stubbs.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #152
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,818

    Re: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    That steal of third is just sick. I love it.

    It won't happen at the start of the 2013 season of course, but thank god we know Billy Hamilton is the Reds' CF/leadoff hitter of the future. Good-bye Drew Stubbs.
    He might be, but the assumption that he is going to be better than Stubbs seems a little premature.

  4. #153
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He might be, but the assumption that he is going to be better than Stubbs seems a little premature.
    Now you're just trolling.

    But I'm with you. People really need to be cautious with their expectations. If I were to guess, yeah, I think Hamilton will be at least a serviceable center fielder. It's still far from a sure thing, though. I want to see him hit a MLB breaking ball before I tab him as a surefire center fielder of the future.

  5. #154
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Richmond, Indiana
    Posts
    1,691

    Re: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

    I'm wondering why they didn't make the change to centerfield during the season - it appears to me that getting reps would be the most important element of learning the position. I'm guessing i might be missing something from a developmental standpoint (how to call for a ball that's between zones, hitting the cut off, etc...)..what am i missing- why the wait?

  6. #155
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Richmond, Indiana
    Posts
    1,691

    Re: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

    Anyone know how many throwing errors Hamilton has "caused"?

    Ok, my math might be off, but i trying to determine the value of those SB's....so here goes:

    take the caught stealings x2- subtract from total number of bases stolen and multiply it be .66? 74-155x.66 = 57 total bases ....add that to his TB total and that appears to be 272/512= .531 slugging percentage.

    I tend to think he's ready from an offensive stand point - i agree with reds of 72 - that was a poor read on the fly ball to center -stubbs would've easily caught that ball standing up.

  7. #156
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,045

    Re: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    As far as the catch in center, I am surprised people are making that out to be a great play. I think it demonstrates that he has a ways to go to learn to play the position. Does not break back on the ball as hard as he needed to, going back at about 75 percent, then realizes he needs to turn it on and at the last minute, lunges, catches the ball, and falls down. Should have caught the ball without too much trouble.
    The play is known as a "Jim Edmonds." It leads to Gold Gloves.

  8. #157
    Resident PED Expert nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centerville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,415

    Re: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I'm wondering why they didn't make the change to centerfield during the season - it appears to me that getting reps would be the most important element of learning the position. I'm guessing i might be missing something from a developmental standpoint (how to call for a ball that's between zones, hitting the cut off, etc...)..what am i missing- why the wait?


    Reds wanted him to focus on his plate approach this season. Switching him to CF could have hindered that. Trying to learn a new position and working on his bat could have taken away from one or both...

    Plus that outfield in Bakersfield is nightmare. Not the best place to learn...
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

    Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

  9. #158
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,818

    Re: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Anyone know how many throwing errors Hamilton has "caused"?

    Ok, my math might be off, but i trying to determine the value of those SB's....so here goes:

    take the caught stealings x2- subtract from total number of bases stolen and multiply it be .66? 74-155x.66 = 57 total bases ....add that to his TB total and that appears to be 272/512= .531 slugging percentage.

    I tend to think he's ready from an offensive stand point - i agree with reds of 72 - that was a poor read on the fly ball to center -stubbs would've easily caught that ball standing up.
    Doesn't work that way. SLG is not valuable because it tells us how many bases you acquire, it is also valuable because it tells us how many bases you can likely move up guys when you are at the plate with them on. Add in steals doesn't make that happen.

  10. #159
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    961

    Re: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by backbencher View Post
    The play is known as a "Jim Edmonds." It leads to Gold Gloves.
    Are you saying you think that was an excellent play?

    If so, I would counter that if an outfielder had to go to the ground to catch a ball that he did not go after at full speed from the get-go, then he did not play it particularly well. Not to take anything away from Hamilton. That's one play. But he needs reps out there. Imagine what his range will be when he learns to read the ball instantly off the bat, the way Stubbs does.

  11. #160
    Member medford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,080

    Re: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Are you saying you think that was an excellent play?

    If so, I would counter that if an outfielder had to go to the ground to catch a ball that he did not go after at full speed from the get-go, then he did not play it particularly well. Not to take anything away from Hamilton. That's one play. But he needs reps out there. Imagine what his range will be when he learns to read the ball instantly off the bat, the way Stubbs does.
    I was going to post something similar to backbencher.

    I'm pretty sure both you and he are on the exact same page and it was a subtle rip at Edmunds ability to turn the "routine" into a "gem"; at least that what I was thinking when I had that thought.

  12. #161
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Richmond, Indiana
    Posts
    1,691

    Re: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

    Doug ....the formula takes much of what you said into effect.....it may not take everything into effect on a one to one basis (hence the .66. % of total squired).....I got it from the bill james site, but he rarely has a clue about the value of things....that's a joke.

  13. #162
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Are you saying you think that was an excellent play?

    If so, I would counter that if an outfielder had to go to the ground to catch a ball that he did not go after at full speed from the get-go, then he did not play it particularly well. Not to take anything away from Hamilton. That's one play. But he needs reps out there. Imagine what his range will be when he learns to read the ball instantly off the bat, the way Stubbs does.
    Edmonds had a reputation for going soft on a drive to the outfield just so he could dive for it when it wasn't necessary. I'm pretty sure that's what he was alluding to.

  14. #163
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Richmond, Indiana
    Posts
    1,691

    Re: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

    Nemesis - i never thought about the bakersfield dimensions being in play -you're right ...that field is odd and would impact his learning curve --great observation.

  15. #164
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    961

    Re: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

    Reds wanted to keep him at shortstop to improve his mental understanding of the overall game itself, an area they felt he needed to improve upon to be a good major leaguer, and they felt keeping him at shortstop would keep him engaged in the game mentally at all times, as opposed to standing out in the outfield. That was part of it--straight from an extremely top-level source.

    Also, as stated by Nemesis, Hamilton was right on the verge of taking a big step forward as a hitter (which he did) and they wanted to let that happen without clogging up his head worrying about learning a new defensive position.

  16. #165
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Richmond, Indiana
    Posts
    1,691

    Re: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

    Great info. Thanks 72.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25