Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

Rosters to be released on the 1st. Without knowing the slots the Reds were submiitted, who you think the Reds will send ?
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Rosters to be released on the 1st. Without knowing the slots the Reds were submiitted, who you think the Reds will send ?
    My shot at it:

Bryson Smith
    Donald Lutz
    Ryan Lamarre
    David Vidal
    Tucker Barnhart
    Josh Ravin
    Justin Freeman

I think Billy Hamilton may need the rest after all those steals, but he would be a good choice to boost his value and speed his progress. I don't think Corcino is eligible. I doubt that the Reds will push Cingrani's or Lotzkar's innings. Freeman and Smith might be guys the Reds want to see how they do against some top prospects. Vidal, Lamarre, Barnhart and Lutz are probably the best AA position players left outside of Hamilton and this may be a way to speed progress or boost value. Ravin missed a lot of time and needs the innings. He wouldn't be at the top of my list, but I could see them testing Beau Mills in the AFL.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-26-2012 at 07:29 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Reds are the Peoria Javelinas this year, along with Twins, Phillies, Padres and Mariners

Here's the rules:

The roster size is 30 players per team.

Each Major League organization is required to provide six players subject to the following requirements:

All Triple-A and Double-A players are eligible, provided the players are on at least a Double-A level roster no later than Aug. 1.
    One player below the Double-A level is allowed per Major League team.
    One foreign player is allowed, as long as the player does not reside in a country that participates in winter ball, as part of the Caribbean Confederation or the Australian winter league.
    No players with more than one year of credited Major League service as of August 31 are eligible, except a team may select one player picked in the most recently concluded Major League Rule 5 Draft.
    To be eligible, players on Minor League disabled lists must be activated at least 45 days before the conclusion of their respective seasons.

I looked up the Confederation and it's Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Mexico and Venezuela.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I could see Hamilton going there for a short stint to test playing CF. I don't see him there for an extended period of time though.

Teams don't usually send guys more than once, in my opinion starters sent that spent full season playing are not top prospects. Last year Reds sent 3 position players and 4 pitchers, I think the year before it was 4 and 4.

Here's my guess: They'll come from this group

Billy Hamilton
    Bryson Smith
    Ryan Lamarre
    David Vidal
    Donald Lutz
    Tucker Barnhart

Chris Manno
    Justin Freeman
    Drew Hayes
    Mark Serrano

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think Billy Hamilton may need the rest after all those steals, but he would be a good choice to boost his value and speed his progress.
    I don't care about boosting his value or speeding his progress, but the AFL would be a good, low-pressure place for him to start his transition to the OF (assuming that is where the Reds feel he will end up). I agree with you that fatigue might be an issue for him, and I would put a big fat red light on him every time he is on base. I might even force him to keep a foot on the bag to save him from the wear-and-tear of pickoff attempts. Make him a station-to-station baseclogger for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I don't care about boosting his value or speeding his progress, but the AFL would be a good, low-pressure place for him to start his transition to the OF (assuming that is where the Reds feel he will end up). I agree with you that fatigue might be an issue for him, and I would put a big fat red light on him every time he is on base. I might even force him to keep a foot on the bag to save him from the wear-and-tear of pickoff attempts. Make him a station-to-station baseclogger for the rest of the season.
    He would have more value at short. Give him a shot in the AFL to work on his defense/throwing mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    He would have more value at short. Give him a shot in the AFL to work on his defense/throwing mechanics.
    If a position switch is not imminent, I'd rather see the guy get a well-deserved vacation. He's already put in six months of work at SS. That is more than enough. I don't want him to get burned out. Better to let him have some time off so he can be itching to go come next spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    If a position switch is not imminent, I'd rather see the guy get a well-deserved vacation. He's already put in six months of work at SS. That is more than enough. I don't want him to get burned out. Better to let him have some time off so he can be itching to go come next spring.
    Yea, I agree. Plus, Billy can work on his SS throwing motion over the winter without being in games (I think that's the biggest criticism of his SS defense.. arm angle on SS throws).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yea, I agree. Plus, Billy can work on his SS throwing motion over the winter without being in games (I think that's the biggest criticism of his SS defense.. arm angle on SS throws).
    Go and watch Doug's video of Billy at SS... He throws sidearm/drop arm instead of throwing over the shoulder. He makes one throw over the shoulder when he is in the hole, and he has a gun, the rest of the throws he flips over there. He needs to really work on this to stick at SS and for himself, SS get paid more than CF's unless they hit 30 dingers a year.

Per a tweet from Jamie Ramsey, here's our attendees:

Curtis Partch, Drew Hayes, Didi Gregorius and Donald Lutz and Billy Hamilton

A subsequent tweet indicates Hamilton is noted as an outfielder on the Peoria roster and adds "not a typo".
    Last edited by redsmetz; 08-29-2012 at 03:07 PM.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I made a promise to someone I wouldn't say anything until it became public, but Walt Jocketty talked to Hamilton earlier this season about playing outfield in the AFL, and Hamilton said he's willing to play anywhere.

There we go, folks. Glad to see this. I would not be surprised if Hamilton excels in CF. The question is the arm, of course, but he could become a monster flycatcher out there.

Here's the link for the Javelinas roster

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/afl/club.jsp?team_id=490

Interesting that it shows Hamilton as an infielder. If someone has a link for a more recent iteration of this, please add.

So who is Curtis Partch? I'm guessing he's someone they like a little bit, but need to decide whether to protect him from the Rule 5 draft? I don't recall ever seeing him mentioned in any conversations.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

Maybe this isn't appropriate in this thread, but I did find this about Partch from a Reds Farm Report earlier this summer.

http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/2012/07/13...farm-report-3/

The Baseball Bookstore

Turn Off Ads?