Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

Re: 2012 Arizona Fall League Discussion

Hamilton is just absurd, they were bewildered trying to defend against that bunt. Then he ends up on 3rd base off a grounder.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Can anyone comment on Hamiltons performance during the arizona fall league season?

.234 batting avg, .306 OBP

That's concerning.

Still seems like he's raw, or might never pull it together. Sigh

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTruck View Post
    Can anyone comment on Hamiltons performance during the arizona fall league season?

.234 batting avg, .306 OBP

That's concerning.

Still seems like he's raw, or might never pull it together. Sigh
    Incredibly small sample size. He has had 700 plate appearances this year. He has attempted to steal 200 bases this year. Dude is probably worn down and tired at this point.

There are some concerns about Hamilton still in my opinion, but it isn't because he has hit .234 in the AFL this year.

I agree Doug, he has given the Reds everything in the tank this year, he may win minor league player of the year for the Reds, nothing to be concerned about

Learning CF and cutting down on strikeouts definitely looked like it needs to be the top priority right now. He seems to have the raw tools for CF and has a reliable enough arm, but some of the routes he's been taking have been horrible. There's a lot of work to be done there, but he's probably MLB capable right now. He just wouldn't be a particularly valuable player, and would benefit from more time learning the position.

I take it its normal for switch hitters like Billy to be naturally right-handed? If hitting from your natural tends to bee smoother with more pop, then there's good reason beyond matchups to attempt to switch hit.
    Last edited by The DARK; 11-17-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Didn't see this mentioned, but Hamilton left the game injured. Seemed to be some kind of left leg injury. He went up against the wall in a failed attempt to corral a triple. He was down on ground for 5 minutes, and left under assistance. (arms around 2 guys shoulders)

An inning later they said "lower back injury".

And after the game he was out with the guys celebrating the win, so I don't think he's seriously hurt
    Last edited by JaxRed; 11-17-2012 at 10:29 PM.

All reports thus far are just saying back spasms. Given that his season is over, finally, Im sure he'll be just fine come ST.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    Hamilton is just absurd, they were bewildered trying to defend against that bunt. Then he ends up on 3rd base off a grounder.
    I thought the run from 1st to 3rd was just amazing. I don't think I have ever seen anyone make it to 3rd so easy on a ball hit like that. 99.9% of players would still be on 2nd base or in the dugout after being thrown out at 3rd.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

His speed is truly game-changing. No one in baseball uses it like he does. Capitalizing on it will be fun to watch as he moves into the leadoff spot in Cincinnati.

His agressiveness reminds me of Tim Raines early in his career. I always hated to see that guy on the basepaths because he almost always made life miserable for the Reds. Hopefully, Hamilton can do the same.

Of course, these reports just get me even more excited and impatient for Hamilton at the major league level (especially given the Stubbs/Cozart OBP disaster that was the top of the lineup last season). Still, I think a 2014 date of arrival for Hamilton is the most reasonable and realistic, and probably also in his best interest in regard to development. But, if it can be sooner I'll gladly take it.

As a Reds fan you really must go somewhere and watch the game from the other night and watch (I think it was called) the Futures Game from a month or so ago. It's just amazing watching the guy. What I am scared of is that it will not translate into the bigs. If it does Votto could hit .400 for 5 years straight. Can you even imagine how hard it would be to pitch to Votto with Hamilton standing on second or third....(yea third because you never know if he might just take off and steal home on the throw back to the pitcher)
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    His speed is truly game-changing. No one in baseball uses it like he does. Capitalizing on it will be fun to watch as he moves into the leadoff spot in Cincinnati.

His agressiveness reminds me of Tim Raines early in his career. I always hated to see that guy on the basepaths because he almost always made life miserable for the Reds. Hopefully, Hamilton can do the same.
    I know you're a big Reds' fan, but that last paragraph could lead one to wonder if you are wanting BH to make life miserable for the Reds.
    I watched bits and pieces of the game........I was hoping Didi wasn't going to get thrown out, out home, in the 3rd, when Billie forced him. Dude was half way to 3rd, by the time Didi was touching it. Coach had no choice but to send him home.

Turn Off Ads?