Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stubbs

Re: Stubbs

3K's, then a infield hit followed by his 4th wiff of the day.
    He needs to SIT (PR or late D replacement only) for at least 5 GAMES!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bakers Dozen

So sick of you guys railing on Stubbs and Dusty and this whole situation. I mean the whole season, just get the hell over it. If this team finds a guy to bat at top next year Stubbs won't bat at the top. Heisey is not a legit option at the top, cut that pipe dream BS out. Stop playing arm chair QB, go to ESPN.com, click MLB, click standings, and then read them.

JESUS!

When Stubbs gets on he scores. When Stubbs scores we win. The numbers don't lie there. WE WIN A LOT! Some of you need to realize we need Stubbs in the playoffs, he's vital. Maybe a little support from time to time instead of the constant bashing of the guy. I guess most of you would boo if you were at the game and he was coming up to bat right? Sure sounds like it.
    Last edited by PumpFak3First; 08-29-2012 at 09:20 PM.

It's frustrating when a guy with his speed never capitalizes on it. He should be chopping slow ground balls and bunting once in a while. He swings for the fences almost all the time.

I realize he has power, but his HR/doubles numbers are way down this year. He needs to adjust his game at the plate, or learn to like being a pinch runner.

Quote Originally Posted by IamRV View Post
    Red herring argument. So what exactly makes you think we wouldn't have even more wins by getting folks on base in front of those who can hit?

More folks on base in front of Votto, Frazier, Ludwick = more runs. That's not debatable. To argue the opposite is foolishness.
    What is not debatable is when Stubbs gets on he scores. When he scores the Reds win. I'd rather have him hit 7th and I think he will once Votto returns. But the continued bashing of the guy and the continued bashing of a manager whose team holds the best record in baseball just shows a pathetic clinging to an issue that clearly has not held this team back.

Does Stubbs batting 2nd work under most circumstances? Nope.

Does Stubbs batting 2nd work for this team as it is currently shaped? Hell yes.

This team has been winning despite Stubbs, not because of him. If the game is on the line, I know I don't want him to have to rely on him to get on base, or drive in a run.

Why come on the thread if your worried about any negative taking from this great season....you know it's going to have negative stuff. It's an Internet message board. The best season ever by a player didn't win a championship and horrible, horrible players have won world series championships.

What Reds player has a poor record when they score? I bet most are over .700 winning % and probably several around 80%.....we're freaking good...duh.....and if you think that stat matters....then go to baseball reference and check his splits when he plays and the Reds lose....it's at least as impressive as his 44-6 or whatever it is now.

He's gotten worse each of the past 3 years....yet the Reds are great now. Yeah, he's what makes them go. I've watched a ridiculous amount of baseball for 25+ years and I've never witnessed a player with endless opportunities regardless of what he does.

7 straight starts making 4 or more outs....that may be one of the craziest stats I've ever seen.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    This team has been winning despite Stubbs, not because of him. If the game is on the line, I know I don't want him to have to rely on him to get on base, or drive in a run.
    Bingo.

His body language after he fans tells me he doesn't have a clue/chance.
    Last edited by malcontent; 08-29-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
    And the judge would take a peek at the standings and laugh you out of court.
    The standings in the regular season are one thing...playoffs are completely different. The playoffs have a way of exposing team weaknesses...and, unfortunately, the top of the order is a big weakness of this team. As someone said above, they've been winning despite that weakness.

The crazy thing to me is that there's somewhat of a solution. Simply move him down in the order.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    The standings in the regular season are one thing...playoffs are completely different. The playoffs have a way of exposing team weaknesses...and, unfortunately, the top of the order is a big weakness of this team. As someone said above, they've been winning despite that weakness.

The crazy thing to me is that there's somewhat of a solution. Simply move him down in the order.
    The playoffs also accentuate a team's strengths which, in the Reds case, is pitching and defense.

I agree about moving him down but doing that or even replacing him with Heisey is not going to make a marked improvement in the overall performance of the offense. If your formula is pitching and defense you go with that strength and its clear that Stubbs has more value in center field than anyone else that could go there.

And, as some here will and have done, don't mistake my position here as a support of Stubbs. He is frustrating as they come but you have to look at the entire team and how they are built for success. If you objectively look at that you will understand his value despite his struggles at the plate.

Unfortunately, many here are just so entrenched in their hatred for Stubbs and for Dusty that they render themselves too bias to have a meaningful discussion about the topic.

This is directed to no one in particular and is just a gentle reminder.

One of the fundamental points of a message board is to facilitate reasoned analysis and discussion. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion so long as it is expressed in a civil manner. You're not going to agree with everyone, but that doesn't give you the right to throw your hands up in exasperation and start complaining about others' opinions. Don't resort to belittling others, and don't be condescending. Make your point, defend your point, and agree to disagree if no progress is made. Stop with the bickering and simply stick to your opinions and the facts that support your opinion. If you feel like a user in particular is causing a problem, use the icon on the left side underneath that person's post to report that person. The mods will handle it from there.

As you were...

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

I like Stubbs. I don't know why exactly but I feel like he's going to turn it on when it matters most. Maybe it's a weird dream I have where he comes up big when everyone expects a K. It's possible I got so down on the guy I've come around to the idea if a speedy defensive guy with pop and the likely potential to K. unless I'm reading into this wrong this this guy a new generation player, one that would not have seen a sniff of the big leagues 50 years ago? because of the strikeouts. or is he the opposite the type of defensive guy that could have gotten by with a low average? I'm confused by this dude, but mark my words there's something about his power that's going to make him an unlikely star on day in, what is hopefully, a big playoff game.

Read em and weep/rejoice::

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/reds-ba...4984--mlb.html

Looks like we might move him down when Joey gets back, however I think he's just going to ride it out... He can afford to.
    Baker has proven he knows what he's doing, and he knows his guys. He is doing a great job of managing his players and helping them. Worked with Bruce and he only sat him as a "last resort".
    I think Dusty is gonna let him work through this one... He obviously continues to value his defense, as was the mantra of the FO.
    Might as well make peace with it, and root for the kid, cause he's gonna be playing, a lot.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Read em and weep/rejoice::

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/reds-ba...4984--mlb.html

Looks like we might move him down when Joey gets back, however I think he's just going to ride it out... He can afford to.
    Baker has proven he knows what he's doing, and he knows his guys. He is doing a great job of managing his players and helping them. Worked with Bruce and he only sat him as a "last resort".
    I think Dusty is gonna let him work through this one... He obviously continues to value his defense, as was the mantra of the FO.
    Might as well make peace with it, and root for the kid, cause he's gonna be playing, a lot.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    I got a little too excited when you said "looks like we might move him down." Let's just say I wasn't thinking in the lineup. Then after the comma I figured out what you meant. I know he doesn't have options (too much MLB service time) and no way they would DFA him, but a man can dream can't he? Dusty loves him some fast CF's who can't hit worth a lick.

BTW...Stubbs defense has not been that good this year either. Not only from a stat standpoint (which are often questionable), but from the eye test too. All around Stubbs has been subpar except stealing bases.

I've been kind of feeling sorry for the kid myself. If you watch him in the dugout or between innings he looks depressed. If we're going to play him, put him down in the batting order where he's feeling less pressure. Dusty is embarrassing Stubbs by batting him 1st or 2nd right now.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    I got a little too excited when you said "looks like we might move him down." Let's just say I wasn't thinking in the lineup. Then after the comma I figured out what you meant. I know he doesn't have options (too much MLB service time) and no way they would DFA him, but a man can dream can't he? Dusty loves him some fast CF's who can't hit worth a lick.

BTW...Stubbs defense has not been that good this year either. Not only from a stat standpoint (which are often questionable), but from the eye test too. All around Stubbs has been subpar except stealing bases.
    Even if I agreed with you that his defense has not been that good this year, average defense would still be better than our other choices. Heisey is below average out there and we have no reason to believe Bruce can be anything above terrible in CF defensively.

With that said, Dusty has sat better players than him for stretches (even did it with Bruce just last month) so I think that's a decent suggestion. When it counts though, I would like to see him in CF and low in the order and I think we will.

Turn Off Ads?